Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A answer from MAK  (Read 3256 times)
luvrbus

« on: October 28, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »

Guys, after over a month finally got a answer from MAK about the on-line version reading between the lines he didn't have anyone on staff to do it got NOV today but still missing OCT and don't think I will ever get one    good luck
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »

That seems odd.  Most publishing programs (i.e. QuarkXPress, InDesign, etc.), can export the pdf version with just a few key strokes and mouse clicks and let the program run on its own for a little while generating the pdf file.  Then it's just a matter of sending an email with an attachment to a mailing list.  Whoever is responsible for the final layout of the print magazine could easily generate the pdf and email it with just a few minutes of their time, excluding the computer's run time to generate the pdf.  And even that computer run time wouldn't be too long.

Administrating the email list (adding/removing names) would take a little more attention, but sending it out to September's address list would be better than not sending it at all.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »

Hightech, want does a art director do for sending a magazine he is the one that sent the email his name is Chad Laines and is in charge of the on-line version.There were some changes made to on-line version also       

good luck
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »

"Then it's just a matter of sending an email with an attachment to a mailing list"

if i asked about an online version, i would not expect to get an emailed PDF.  i'd be looking for some sort of html that i could sign in and read.  ie; when i use webmail, i'm online reading, when i use Outlook, i'm not.

while i agree that a pdf is easy to "print" (i use cutepdf (it's a free download online) for easy file creation from anything printable, that, to me, is not "online".

however, it is a great way, as you said, to get a magazine out without paying postage, for those who don't want a tree killed every month.  and if the postage is an issue, or even printing costs, i'd be happy with a pdf rather than nothing.  i learn from each issue.

imho

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

Tom, you may not know it but you are a star in the Nov issue   
good luck
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »

if i asked about an online version, i would not expect to get an emailed PDF.  i'd be looking for some sort of html that i could sign in and read.  ie; when i use webmail, i'm online reading, when i use Outlook, i'm not.

while i agree that a pdf is easy to "print" (i use cutepdf (it's a free download online) for easy file creation from anything printable, that, to me, is not "online".

however, it is a great way, as you said, to get a magazine out without paying postage, for those who don't want a tree killed every month.  and if the postage is an issue, or even printing costs, i'd be happy with a pdf rather than nothing.  i learn from each issue.

The PDF format has become pretty much the standard for electronic format literature though.  eBooks are PDF, as are most eZine's, online reference archives and user manuals.   One of the primary reasons is format control.  HTML will render differently on different users screens depending on the brand of browser, browser settings, screen size, installed fonts, etc.   The layout will be different, the font faces and sizes are dependent on the user's system, image rendering can vary, and the list goes on.  CSS brought a lot more control of appearance to the web designer, but it still looks different in IE vs. Firefox vs. Opera vs. Netscape vs. Konqueror (Linux) vs. Safari (Mac).  Plus a multitude of other variables.  And even if only targeting one browser with default settings on an average screen, it is very difficult to make it closely resemble the look of the printed magazine.

PDFs on the other hand maintain the exact same "look" on any screen size, any software and any operating system.  And since it can be formated by the same program that does the printed layout, it is easy to maintain the same layout.  The applications used for this aren't quite the same as the printer driver pdf writers, it is an internal part of the publishing program and does a lot more to optimize it.  They result in a far superior file quality and smaller file size while maintaining extremely good image quality.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »

The PDF format has become pretty much the standard for electronic format literature though.  eBooks are PDF, as are most eZine's, online reference archives and user manuals.   One of the primary reasons is format control.  HTML will render differently on different users screens depending on the brand of browser, browser settings, screen size, installed fonts, etc.   The layout will be different, the font faces and sizes are dependent on the user's system, image rendering can vary, and the list goes on.  CSS brought a lot more control of appearance to the web designer, but it still looks different in IE vs. Firefox vs. Opera vs. Netscape vs. Konqueror (Linux) vs. Safari (Mac).  Plus a multitude of other variables.  And even if only targeting one browser with default settings on an average screen, it is very difficult to make it closely resemble the look of the printed magazine.

PDFs on the other hand maintain the exact same "look" on any screen size, any software and any operating system.  And since it can be formated by the same program that does the printed layout, it is easy to maintain the same layout.  The applications used for this aren't quite the same as the printer driver pdf writers, it is an internal part of the publishing program and does a lot more to optimize it.  They result in a far superior file quality and smaller file size while maintaining extremely good image quality.

i think you missed my point, but oh well.  this ain't the place for a technocrat discussion.   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

luvrbus, "Tom, you may not know it but you are a star in the Nov issue"   Huh Huh Huh

i don't think i've seen it yet.  what's am i missing?  should i be charging for autographs or copyrighting my comments here?  Wink Wink

Tom

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 07:05:15 PM »

oooops!  i just went looking and we expired in August.  Bet that's why i can't find the last two months. Cry Cry

Tom

Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:44:57 PM »

High Tech is correct in all points.  I only hope one of the moderators make complete backups of all of the posts on this board just in case MAK fails.  There is a huge amount of valuable information archived here.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:26:22 AM »

High Tech is correct in all points. 

gee, that clarifies it all.   Huh

Tom

scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:12 AM »

Is there an October issue that was mailed? Never received mine. I would prefer a hard copy until my expiration and them go PDF.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 05:25:36 AM »

Yes there is a hard copy for OCT email Dennis and he will send you another one.I was wrong about not getting the OCT version of BCM the new guy Chad is on top of things he emailed the OCT copy and said from this day on things will change Thanks Chad
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »

Well... I have good news!....the magazine is bound to improve, because I left......(lucky you, I ran out of things to write about  Grin)

Now you can renew those subscriptions with reckless abandon! Smiley

PS. your not completely rid of me....I still have a bus and I still lurk.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:23:47 AM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

i just renewed for another year, but for the "online" only.  in case we get stuck all winter in florida due to gps problems, i don't want to pay forwarding charges for one of my favorite mags.

i hope Chad is as on top of things as you say, luvrbus.  i asked them to ask chad to update me asap so i can catch up.

thanks for the update.  i'd have missed renewing for at least another month before i caught on.

Tom

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »

The PDF version of the magazine should be called "electronic", not "online".

Most online web versions of magazines are fairly worthless as they never have all the same content as the paper magazine.  An electronic PDF is an exact replica of the paper magazine and could even be printed on paper if the publisher has not disabled printing of the PDF.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: