Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 01:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Which would you do or if could do over?  (Voting closed: November 02, 2008, 08:27:56 PM)
Build it myself - 25 (35.2%)
Buy used Coversion and modify - 42 (59.2%)
Buy the shell, and contract the work. - 4 (5.6%)
I can afford new, so New it is! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion...Do it yourself or Buy pre-converted  (Read 4219 times)
New2Busin
Ben

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »

If you could as you poll, provide the vote you chose and why.  This will help a newb like myself and others that may read this pole in making a great choice to hard decisions they/us must make.

Happy polling,
   Ben

New to Busing, but looking forward to a new adventure and meeting a new breed of folks.  If motorcyle families are close, can only imagine what a bus family is like.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:08:18 PM »

I don't know if you can amend the poll but I bought a conversion that was started and I still have not finished it but use it regularly.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »

I bought an older converted Eagle, and would do it again in a hearbeat. It came with most of the goodies needed that I kept.

There are some really good buys out there right now and one could be had for a pretty low cost.

You still have lots of work, but it's all worth it.

FWIW,

Paul
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:03 AM »

If I had to do it all over again I would have done it 5 to 10 years back. At 58 I am having back problems, taking care of 2 sets of ageing parents, helping my son with his house and trying to work a 40 hr a week job. Just not enough time or me to go around to everyones needs. Plus taking care of my own house. Plus with the economy the way it is there are many used conversions that can probably be bought really cheap because they need the cash. I'll finish my conversion but it will just take longer.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
New2Busin
Ben

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »

I don't know if you can amend the poll but I bought a conversion that was started and I still have not finished it but use it regularly.

Melbo

I suppose that could fall under "Bought a used conversion / Modify"

New to Busing, but looking forward to a new adventure and meeting a new breed of folks.  If motorcyle families are close, can only imagine what a bus family is like.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:53 AM »

Although I voted to build it myself, because that is what did (9 years ago), if doing one today, I would probably buy a used conversion and modify, mainly because of the time factor amd cheaper. Jack
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:46:18 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »

I voted "build it myself" and that is mostly what I did.  The sides were reskined and the interior was gutted by the PO and that is as far as it got.  I've built everything else from there using a 1995 travel trailer for it's parts.  The trailer was water damaged, but the appliances/mechanicals were good.  That is really the way to go.  I had an opportunity to go to an auction and get a 35ft bus converted by a professional converter in the 1970's.  It looked beautiful, but the layout was not right.  I'd have a hard time taking apart something that nice.  If I reworked a coach, I'd look for something pretty unfinished or rough around the edges.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »

Shop,shop and shop I looked at a 80s model Eagle conversion for a  couple of guys on the board  here that was in Phoenix for sale on EBay no rust good tires generator, inverter and was told the engine was bad come to find out the oil cooler was leaking and this bus sold for $8,300 Williams flushed the system installed a new oil cooler off he went for under $9000.00 and the 15kw generator (new) was worth what he paid for the bus      good luck
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:59:22 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »

I would buy another converted bus, but I would get a better mechanic to look it over first.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

I voted buy used conversion and modify. Having said that there are a few factors that I would have to consider. I have looked at a few conversions here in Canada but found the weren't stipped down far enough for my preferance. Not saying he buses we badly done I just feel it's important to re-insulate from factory etc. Therefore to strip these buses right down would be defeating the purpose.

The second point is I found too many gray ares into bringing a converted bus across the border. Transport Canada seems to be a real pain in the #@@##.  When I was looking I found a real nice conversion down south for a resaonable price, thought that was my bus. However after doing some research I found it was too risky and bought one up here in Canuck land. Much more money that what I wanted to spend by the time it's all done but so far my bride hasn't left!

Have fun!

Have Fun!!
Grant
New2Busin
Ben

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »

Pretty close so far...

I'm up for either, depending on what most are saying...Shop, shop, shop!  My wife is good at that, so I'll employ her...LOL!  This is a great place for someone like me to find the ends and outs and hear from someone who's "been there and done that".  One thing that I don't want to do is buy now, thinking I have a deal of the century and have it sit for 7 years, hence the reason I started looking now and of course setting $$ aside for the purchase.

Thanks for all your comments, by all means keep'm coming...

Ben

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »

I voted to do it yourself. Makes no sense economically, wether you're building a bus or a race car but I have done both because I want to know how it was put together. My MGB had every part that could be removed removed and a few that couldn't were removed and then sandblasted, painted and built piece by piece for racing. My Neoplan isn't quite that bad but close. All of the flooring has been removed and the floor is being lowered 7.5" back to the drive axle air bag frame; that was more engineering than I was willing to tackle. I will know where all the systems run and how they were installed. I guess it is worth the cost to me to have that knowledge.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »

Even though the one I am doing is a ground up, do it yourself project.

I voted for used conversion and modify.

With what I have learned and know now, after owning one for several years, I believe I could very easily identify that "Diamond in the rough".

Since there are usually some great deals in the used market, I could find something close to what I wanted and convert to my standards and tastes as I went.   

The main thing is to find generally what you want in a used one.  Its such an easier project when you are just "redecorating" one area at a time to your specifications.  Get tired of it, wait a month or so to change something else.

If you do the "REAL" math, its hard to argue against the Used and modify.

Just my opinion....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

I bought & voted Used and modify.

The only caveat I would have would be "depending on the market" Right now, you can get all kinds of deals. A little later, things may be different but I would still find something very close to what I want, professionally converted, & then modify it to my needs.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Blacksheep

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »

I had a lot of fun doing this bus as it brought many friends into Susan and mine life. I would do it again as long as I had Susan to help! Now if we were to hit it rich somehow, I'd have a pro build it as we watched! Even though there are some great deals out there, I would rather know exactly what we have and buying one already done sort of leaves you in the dark especially when something goes haywire. If you did it and it breaks at least you have a head start in knowing where to look! If someone else did it, good luck finding the problem!
JMHO

Ace
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: