Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 07:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best GPS to use?  (Read 9309 times)
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »

I can say first hand that there are "lap tops" with key boards in many cop cars around the united states.  Most but not all do have touch screens, and cops do think they are above the law and usually get away with it.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 06:13:04 AM »

In our city or officers have laptops with key board dvd players and the works.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 06:48:01 AM »

Well guys I stand corrected but I live in the Phoenix area and the Houston area and no lap tops in the police cars in these 2 cities   have a great day
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »

John316 and PP, those are not lap tops in police cars they are called mobile computers if you notice they have no key board only a touch screen and use 12 volts for power and I have never saw one with a GPS dispatch will send directions if needed    have a great evening

Interesting this came up.

I have a touch screen mobile computer which runs off of like 13.8 volts and that also accepts a keyboard and mouse. The brand is Intermec but I forget the model. It's the type used by UPS, DHL and other delivery or warehouse type purposes and it also is WiFi capable for networked use.
I bought it for home automation use but have since sort of wondered about using it in the bus. I still haven't messed around with it much yet but I've wondered about if and how the touchscreen might be programmed for use with GPS or other uses.
Maybe someday I'll finally get more time and get around to messing with setting it all up. It might be interesting or it might be a bust. There are limitations to the thing and what it can do I'm sure.

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
luvrbus

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »

We bought the General Dynamics Ironix VR-2 for our depts where I live no key boards touch screens can see them clear in the AZ sun they are about bullet proof can even submerge in water or drop from 3ft and have a embedded GPS with the laws of our county and state. Data cost for this type is about 1/2 the cost of laptops. The US government will give a grant to pay $2900.00 each for these units but will not pay for $800.00 laptops figure that one they work from wireless or radio signals and will even print you a ticket for the violation.But the best part of the system officers can not receive any personal information on you with out going through the proper channels and we have had some that abused the old system   good luck
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »

John316 and PP, those are not lap tops in police cars they are called mobile computers if you notice they have no key board only a touch screen and use 12 volts for power and I have never saw one with a GPS dispatch will send directions if needed    have a great evening

I picked part of this back up from another thread and placed it here where it started.. sorry...

Don't know where you got that idea. Cops use laptops everywhere.

Before laptops they did use an old in-car computer terminal in some places but most
were replaced by generic laptops due to costing a lot less to operate and buy.

I know because I used to install all that stuff. It's changed now in 99% of places.

Officers must now type out their status reports in-car along with their paperwork. It's all done on laptops. They have GPS, Dispatch and many functions that everyone else has and they CAN play movies and cruise the Internet while driving and having that dammned cell phone jammed up to their ear at 90mph.... Just watch one on a call..... They will say they don't but who have been the biggest liars about stuff like "enforcement".....

The TV camera playback is viewable on their screens also...

Having a TUNER with antenna used to be the catch-all.... Streaming Video or CD/DVD is now standard on most computers.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 08:05:05 PM »

We use a Dell laptop [15" screen] with DeLorme's GPS software and the usb powered GPS antenna.  It works very well, we use it on the
bus and now with a small inverter, in our car.  I think the best thing to do is to look at what is available as well as the various features,
if you can try some of the out.
Blessings,
David
PD4104-2977
Winton, CA.
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »

best gps 2 use is an experienced driver witha map,ruler, & a pieceof string  then write it all down turn byturn ;-)
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

Best GPS? Map 'Ruler, Sting, Paper, pencil, & Thousands of Seat miles;-)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »

I was thinking about one of the small lap tops? Anyone have experience?

John
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »

I was at a truck stop yesterday.  There was a GPS system there that claimed to be designed for truckers.  Don't know anything about it though. Biggest piece of "quality merchandise" ever produce a slick packaging that not for trucks and it put me down into many restricted roads & did not tell him till after I was on it. Do not use computer for grades or figure if turns are possible for having an attached trailer. Does not work for 10 or 11 hour rule, then to find a truck stop or stops for you. It lost me my job. No tech support. USB does not work automatically. You have to find additional for USB GPS to adapt to software.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:14:15 PM by circusboy90210 » Logged
cody

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

Huh?
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »

Musta got too close to the bumper cars again???

Or trying to use a cell phone to type real words...

Wierd... Shocked

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »

Okay Circus Boy,
We're an amazingly patient bunch here, but you need to slow down and use spellchecker so we can understand you. Dig?  Huh

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »

Circus boy, I agree with the others. Do you now how to use the spellchecker? If not, I am sure we could explain. This board's software puts a red squiggly line under a misspelled word. If you have other questions I am sure that we could help. It is just that we have a hard time understanding your posts.

PP, you are right we have a LOT of patience!!!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: