Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 11:32:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery Coach!!!  (Read 6199 times)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

I finally figured out how to get pics down sooss I did.  Cool coach. My question is why and how could a major manufacture design and build such a coach that would be soss maintenance intensive /unfriendly/ impossible?

My old Crown Super Coach ex-schoolie (which I SOLD!) Sad had a Cummins pancake in the middle and two (2) experienced Crown mechanics with a pit and proper tools could drop out the mill in about two (2) hours.

Also if I remember correctly (always suspect) didn't Greyhound for years use a Coach that had the entire engine assembly on a cradle?  Same easy maintenance as the Crown?  Anyway, I'm just curious.  Answers?

My auto mechanic likes to tell me horror stories about brand new cars requiring clutch jobs and he has to drop out the entire engine and transaxle---just to get to the silly clutch.  Wow.  Thanks.  HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

This is what I love about this site.... a simple "Whatzit?" question asked, and 3 pages later I am still learning stuff!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »

Any of the buses with a V drive were made with a removable engine cradle.  This was first adopted by transit buses so that if the engine or transmission quit, the bus could be towed back to the shop where the grave yard shift would say start at 8pm.  Two mechanics could have that same bus running by the following morning with a replacement engine/transmission in another cradle.  Many of the T drives are made with a slide out engine/transmission sub cradle that slides into the frame of the bus.  Although not as convenient as the old V drives (nice to have the engine tilted to face right towards you for service) it is still more convenient than buses made without the cradle that you have to use a fork lift to lift the engine/transmission out.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: