Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:05:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rv Awnings? What manufacture are you using? Do like them?  (Read 4595 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »

I will be needing to order some awnings soon and would like to know what you are using and what manufacture you choose and why and do you like them.  Grin Grin Grin

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Blacksheep

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »

Zip Dee

Good service
Made to order
Easy shipping
Pia to install (1st time)
2nd times easy
Good quality
Looks good
Competitive pricing

Ace
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »

The awning material itself is a consumable ie: will need to be replaced. The A&E is very popular so the awning material is less expensive and widely available.
                                                                   HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »

There is a 20 foot awning on the side of my bus. I don't think we used it once this summer. Maybe once or twice last year. Sure it is nice to have for shade and shelter from rain if you're going to sit somewhere for a while. But you have to watch for wind and roll it up so it doesn't get ripped off. Automatic with wind sensor would be nice but expensive. The posts block half the view in my right hand side mirror. It ruins the original look of my bus. I like a bus to look like a bus: I'm an old bus driver... Its on the bus now so I'm not going to take it off. But I would really consider what kind of use for the bus before installing one. Like if your're going to sit somewhere down South all winter, then of course lots of awnings over the windows would be nice.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »

I have ZipDee manuals on all my windows and the great thing about ZipDee is the small arms plus they use Sunbrella fabrics so there is to need to replace the covers very often mine has been here in the AZ heat and sun for 15 years and the fabric still looks nice and I like the ease of operation, plus you can install the slide rails where you can walk under the awning without hitting your head on the arms. check with RV surplus dealers and Air Stream dealers in your area they may have some takeoffs   good luck
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:28:42 PM »

I have the 22 ft. girard (got it on craigslist!!) It is a really nice unit and works wonderfully. Hope it never breaks down as parts sound pretty expensive.

Looking for some smaller unit to cover some windows. Will watch this thread.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »

I have an A&E unit that I really like because the available curved arms make a nice fit against the curved roof of a 4104.  However, I have discovered that it is no match for protruding Stop signs when taking right turns to sharply.  Don't ask how I know this.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »

we have a 24ft a&e with a center brace.  also on all the other windows.  we use ours when we are doing a show and we like to sit outside also.  About $2400 installed.  i would not have camping world do it next time.

what curved arms??  ours are mounted right at the curve of the coach, but the arms are straight.  i think i would have preferred curved if i had known.

i like the looks of the zip dee much better, but i couldn't find anyone to get them from at the time i needed them.

for whoever mentioned wind problems, we sell a tie-down that fits the foot on most awnings so you can put the arm out straight down instead of back to the side of the coach so you don't hit your head.  the tie-downs won't pull out before the awning rips.  we kept ours out and down in a wind just shy of a tornado force just because i did want to see how it held up.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »

Sort of a side question here, how do awnings mount? Is there any prep work that should be done from inside before closing in the walls?

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »

Hi Dave,

I have the 24' x 10' A&E LA03 lateral arm awning and I absolutely love it!  Worth every dollar too!

Nick-
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:26:08 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »

Awning curve...   Not the best shots, but I think you can see a bit of the curve at the top.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:51:06 PM »

The PO offered to give me an awning when I bought the bus but I declined. I think they look like hell on a bus and like JC I try to keep my exterior looking original. But the main thing that discouraged me was the number of different kinds of gadgets for sale to keep them secured. That alone told me they are a big pain.

I suppose they are worthwhile if you camp for extended times, but we are travelers and I don't want to mess with them.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

I have actually gotten a fair amount of use out of my awning. Having only a 35 ft coach and traveling with a family of five, then are times on rainy days where hanging out under the awning is the best place to get some peace.

Also, I only have a single 13.5K rooftop A/C unit.  I have noticed that extending the awning to shade the bus take a great deal of heat load off of the A/C.  On some days, extending the awning is the difference between being comfortable inside or sweltering.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »

We used el-cheapo A&E 21' and have been quite happy with it.  The straight arms worked for me.  The awnings are 5 years old and look and work perfectly. 
I'll try to post a pix....sometimes this works and sometimes it don't!   Wink
These things are Camping World specials. 
The awning is a must-have for us.  We use it as a picking room for musicians.  Love the awnings.  The window awnings make cooling the bus easier too. 
JR
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:58:50 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »

May I add that when mounting an awning on an MCI, pay attention to your bay doors.  My RH rear bay door can only be opened 1/3 when the awning's extended.  Not a problem since the rear bay serves as the utility department.  Nothing in there that needs attention...typically.
You'll want to have access to your bays that are used as storage.  FWIW... 
If you want to see a rolled pix, I've probably got one.  Let me know.  When folded, it lays just above the windows, and clears the side molding by 1/2".  Ain't gonna get better than that. 
Now if you got Nick's bucks...his very nice awning doesn't have this 'arm' problem... Wink

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: