Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 02:42:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rv Awnings? What manufacture are you using? Do like them?  (Read 4057 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 05:53:07 AM »

I decided for the type of camping I do that I didn't want an awning.  We usually travel long distances nearly non-stop and then stay at one location for four to six days.  I bought one of those 10x20 canopies that has a metal frame and poly tarp for $50 at Pep Boys last Christmas.  We set that up and it works real good.  We don't camp at regular campground and everybody has these so nobody complains about it.

I had a regular awning on my travel trailer and it sucked.  It was always hard to get the locks to release and one time the lock would engage so we used a plastic tie to keep it closed.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 06:22:39 AM »

Sort of a side question here, how do awnings mount? Is there any prep work that should be done from inside before closing in the walls?

I carefully planned the layout of my awning during construction, the bottoms of my arms are at the build line or inside floor level. I installed 2X6 where the bottom of arms would mount. After doing this some people said they used plate aluminum instead. The top channel is mounted to the drip rail.  This is on a 5C with an 8 inch roof raise which requires the shortest arms A&E makes.

My A&E awning stayed open for the better part of 5 years and looked great!!  Until I parked under an evil tree in FL which quickly trashed it. Then the next tree dropped a branch which put a hole in it!!!! Unless there is a hurricane coming my awning is always open.

The Zip Dee arms can be heated and bent to fit the contour of the coach if necessary.   HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 07:01:19 AM »

Depends on what type awning you are wanting lateral arm automatic are nice ,I have Girard on mine the problem with the automatic I don't know about the A&E but Girard and Zipdee need a 120v supply to work properly and will not stand a great amount of wind.Grant is right about parts being expensive for the auto type.I have seen lots of damage to the auto type in Vegas where the wind comes up to fast for the awning to close.Mine was ripped off because I turned the power off and went to eat what turned out to be a $2700.00 lunch.   

Every Blue Bird I have owned over the years has had Zipdee from the factory with curved arms, for manual type awning they cost more but for easy operation they are #1 in my book and you install what people call the head knocker rails you don't have any arms in your way to swing and tie down for a manual type Zipdee is the way to go plus they do not rattle when under way and if locked will not unroll like some you see on the road side in a high wind area    have a great day
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:32:28 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
NCRealAuctions
Auctioneer

1975 MC8

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »

I have a 1975 MC8.  I want a motorized awnig.  I live in Raleigh, NC.  Where can I go that can sell and install on a MC8?  Approximately how much would a awning cost installed?  I really need some guidance.  A local RV store is tryinf to charge me $4200 for a 21' awning plus installation costs.  They said they would have to bend aluminum plate to mount to the curve in the roof of the MC8.   Help please!
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »

IF the $4200 is for a Girard or Zipdee lateral arm awning that is about the right price I don't know what a A&E will cost, if it is for a motorized with the arms on the side it's that's to much cash   have a great day
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:20:56 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »

I've only had one awning and it came with my bus, so i'll pass along my 2 sints Wink

Mine is manual, top clip mounted to drip rail,
lower brackets outside the bay doors
        can disconnect to use in "carport mode" and stake legs to ground.

i like to sit outside in the rain, learned about leaning it the   
hardway and filled up the awning and stretched it, now it gets water inside and turns black
       i like not hitting my head on the raill when attached to bus

If i was doing it now:
- figure out a way to get it over the door
- get the cover, or the material right at the bus that is always exposed to the elements to be made of metal/alluminum.

find Oddeseys web page and check out his awnings and streamlined end caps, mounted on top of bus and no side arms
if you splurge on automatic, the mrs. can put it up(sheel feel more independent Wink)

Ross had a pretty good set up too, powered, no down legs to hit head on, mounts to side of bus.

good luck and let us know how it turns out
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:47:11 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 06:54:33 AM »

Depends on what type awning you are wanting lateral arm automatic are nice ,I have Girard on mine the problem with the automatic I don't know about the A&E but Girard and Zipdee need a 120v supply to work properly and will not stand a great amount of wind.Grant is right about parts being expensive for the auto type.I have seen lots of damage to the auto type in Vegas where the wind comes up to fast for the awning to close.Mine was ripped off because I turned the power off and went to eat what turned out to be a $2700.00 lunch.   

Every Blue Bird I have owned over the years has had Zipdee from the factory with curved arms, for manual type awning they cost more but for easy operation they are #1 in my book and you install what people call the head knocker rails you don't have any arms in your way to swing and tie down for a manual type Zipdee is the way to go plus they do not rattle when under way and if locked will not unroll like some you see on the road side in a high wind area    have a great day

The A&E is also 120v but, has more coated cables the Girard or ZipDee. 4 per arm to be exact. And a solid state wind and rain sensor.
Nick-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:57:32 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »

I had an awning on my first motorhome and would set it out each time we camped.  It was sometimes useful and sometimes a nuisance due to wind.  I once hit a leaning telephone pole with it while parking, and also had to be careful that it would drain properly in a sudden storm.  I would retract it if we were going away for more than an hour or so if I thought that the weather might change.  I never got around to installing one on the last bus and did not seem to miss it.  We do not have one on this bus yet either, have not really camped all that much, but have not missed it yet.  I may get a nice beach umbrella.  Come to think of it, the thing I really did like about the awning on the motorhome was that it protected the doorway from the rain.  However, even if I install one, it will not do that on the bus.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »

Lin,

I also got one of those canopies like Belfert described. I haven't used it yet but it is there in the baggage comp if I need it. Quick and cheap.

I don't think it is tall enough to cover the bus door but some extensions could probably be fabricated from tubing without too much work.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with this awning??

http://www.rvawningsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=135&zenid=vna1ajknm0sb1kvmtt76lm4s16

I was just wondering I kind of liked the arms not being in the way.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »

Melbo
 We have the carefree in the travler series 21' with the steep pitch arms, the eclipse wasn't available with steep pitch arms, the steep pitch makes the arms shorter so they don't come down the side of the coach as far and the rain does'nt puddle on the awning. This was our first year with it and we love it so far and no trouble's. Jason

luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »

I don't believe those have a wind or rain sensor would not be a good awning for a windy or rainy climates,holding the switch to close or open you may be short on time.  have a great evening
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »

luvrbus
 I talked to several other people that had the rain & wind sensors and they didn't like them, they said the awnings were going in and out all the time with just a little wind change, so they don't use the sensors and the one man said he was on his 3rd sensor and very expensive to replace. we never had any problems if you are not sure of the weather put in at nite or before you go away. better safe then sorry plus you can stay inside and just push a button in or out. Jason

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 06:35:21 AM »

Jason;any of the electric or automatic awnings are going to give you trouble sooner or later.I have Girard on my bus and they are a problem now and then if i didn't have the Girard on my bus and installing  new awnings I would buy the Zip Dee manuals with the rail slide where the arms are out of the way.I do like the idea that your awning is operated by 12 v and not 110 v like most of the automatic or electric. have a great day
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »

I have a A&E on my 06, one man operation, love it
Frank Allen
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: