Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:54:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iminaccess's last post re: veg oil conversion  (Read 6192 times)
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »

Nope, but that is something that I def will do.  Especially on the west coast....california we were not able to find WVO at all.  The bins behind resturants are welded shut and you are not getting in there at all.  Not to mention navigating through california parking lots with a bus and trailer is near impossible!

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »

What about fresh vegetable oil?  Can it be bought in bulk cheaply?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »

As far as i am aware, a gallon of vegetable oil in the store is more expensive than a gallon of diesel

Veggie Oil Conversion

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »

When D was $5 a gal I saw VO for less than 3.  Most of it was selling for less than $5.  I was not watching the market all that close but that is what I recall.  You can get VO at serious discounts dealing in bulk.  55 gal drums can be lots cheaper than the going gal rate...of course.  What is neat is that you can drop ship the stuff to your destination and pick it up while en-route.  I have heard of all kinds of schemes but have no "hands on" experience.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »

I had ran into a bus owner that bought a  bus with  a conversion, he also owned a restuaruant and would order through there,  an extra pallet from the vender, delivered.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Jerry W Campbell

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 06:50:20 PM »

I just bought 50 gallons of filtered and centrifuged oil in town for $2 a gallon. I'll go get another 50 to fill the tank before I leave. I'm looking for places to get clean oil in California, Nevada or Arizona on my way south.
Jerry
luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

Jerry, don't plan on cheap fuel in Mexico ,we were in Juarez today and fuel is about $2.50 per gal and going up they say gasoline prices are about $.25 a gal higher than Texas      good luck
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »

Jerry,

There are BBs that have lists of people and their locations that have oil.  Gregg's list also has people on it that sell oil.  Try the Yahoo groups and ask there for additional info.  There are a bunch I know but I haven't been active in that arena for almost a year.  I have seen numerous instances where a guy had a couple hundred gallons for very cheap only because he couldn't process it fast enuf and his sources need it picked up or he would loose the acct.  It seems a never ending quest but after you get it together it doesn't take all that much time. Wish I could give you specifics but I'm sure you will do OK.

HTH,

john

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »

Kyle and others,

I have read a ton on this subject and have a shop down the street that installs the system.  Find someone that has done it and get their parts list and shop for a good price on everything.  Like Jerry Campbell.

I have read plenty on this subject &, as far as I'm concerned, 'the mechanical part of the system' is child's play as its the easiest part for me.

What isn't easily found is the REAL LIFE stories that aren't pushing the hard sell on wvo. It is rare indeed to find long term users that tell it as it applies to themselves without the sales pitch.

Peach did a nice job of telling his experiences without 'selling', he told it as it is without trying to hide the dirty parts. That is what is really needed. It's all too easy to get wrapped up in the hype & "the savings" that some don't see what is really involved & end up with a big expensive mess on their hands.

There ain't no free lunches, but occasionally you get lucky & find a cheap one.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
tiredofjerks

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »

Iminaccess, The way you are collecting and filtering is going to lead to disaster in a few ways. First dumpster diving for oil is the worst oil you can get for on the road filtering. Those dumpsters are used for not only waste oil but they also dump the water they use to clean the fryers in there. People put trash in there also. The next issue is the rightful owner of the oil after it is dumped there. It's not there for you to take and really aint worth taking from those containers. Next your filtering system leaves much to desire for on the fly filtration. Your not letting water settle out and even if you do there is still suspended water is still present. Water filters will NOT remove suspended water. You should be using a centrifuge if your going to continue collecting oil the way you do. Even if you didn't dumpster dive you should use a centrifuge. So far I have burned over 600 gallons of WVO in my bus with NO issues. I currently have the capability to carry 860 gallons of oil with me and clean oil the proper way. That "One Shot" filter system you have is cool looking but the oil your using is not the type of oil your using. Another thing about dumpster diving is you don't know what type of oil your using such as PHO or Clear Oil. Both will burn ok but clear oil is preferred. If your touring then you should be putting in your contract that the venue should save at least 100 gallons for you buy the time you get there if they have fryers. Also ask your fans to help get you oil and bring to your shows in the 5 gallon cubies. I currently have 400 gallons in my possession of which 200 gallons is clean and ready to use. I have another 500 gallons spread over the country. While your sitting at home not touring you should be collecting oil locally and searching for sources on you tour routing. With several band members you should be able to collect and filter plenty of oil to get you a good ways down the road. After cleaning it put it back in the cubies and it's easier to stash inside the bus. You need to sign up and read/study this forum thoroughly. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve
tiredofjerks

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »

Kyle, Wvo is in my opinion "sweat equity fuel" it is hard work and not for the weak. It's dirty, messy and challenging but can also be fun. I am always looking to improve my system from collection, filtering, storing and burning. I have over 2500 miles on a DDEC engine with no issues so far.

Wet stacking is a big enemy and any idling should be avoided at all costs on WVO.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »

Kyle, Wvo is in my opinion "sweat equity fuel" it is hard work and not for the weak. It's dirty, messy and challenging but can also be fun. I am always looking to improve my system from collection, filtering, storing and burning. I have over 2500 miles on a DDEC engine with no issues so far.

Wet stacking is a big enemy and any idling should be avoided at all costs on WVO.
>
>
"Good to see you posting"

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »

Tired,

Can you expand a little on the cent filter you use on the road?  Type, brand, cost "G" force....any info.

Thank you,

John

—Pla
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:02 PM »

We do numerous tests on the oil to make sure there is no water in it.  I absolutely believe you that what we are gathering is not the best at all, i'm just saying that we do a good job of making sure that what we gather is good oil....at least compared to what is in the average dumpster haha.

My other question as far as you stated you carry over 800 gallons on board....i would love to do that.....our current capacity is about 110 gallons....is there a certain point to where it just becomes a weight issue since your carrying SO much?

Veggie Oil Conversion

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »

Peach,

If you were being sloppy in the QA dept you would have been left on the side of the road long before now. IMHO!

Keep on keep'n on,

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: