Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 07:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceiling Fabric or Vinyl  (Read 11279 times)
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »

I used a very good marine/auto  grade upholstery vinyl. If I remember, it was something like 17.00 per yard!

As far as what goes up first? It's up to you! Most everyone I know puts the headliner or ceiling up first and then goes from there with the rest of the stuff like cabinets, walls etc.. I did just the opposite! I had all my cabinets and walls up and wires run thru the ceiling. I did the complete ceiling last! It forced us to make some weird patterns around some of the bath and kitchen cabinets but Susan got to be pretty good at that. I just copied the template she made from cardboard (making necessary adjustments here and there) and went from the back to the front, one section at a time such as, first the BR, then the Bathroom, then the kitchen, and finally the LR!

Is it perfect? Hardly, but none the less, it saved me a BUNCH of money doing myself considering the prices I got from the pros!

Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »

We did our finish ceiling (not vinyl) like Ace did, after the cabinets and walls. One advantage doing it this way is that I still have access to the "stuff" in behind the ceiling panels that can be removed if neccessary. Trade-off is that we had to cut the panels to fit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »

I used the closed cell foam padding that was sold as the pad under vinyl tops it is about 3/8ths thick. I cut the foam pad to the dimensions that I needed in sections, some as large as 10 foot by 3-4 foot, then I laid it on the work table and glued white vinyl to it wrapping under the back side.

For glue I i used the 3M cans of spray glue to bond the vinyl to the foam. To glue it to the ceiling I borrowed a pressure pot and spray gun from a local trim shop and sprayed the back side of the roof section, then the ceiling and after it was tacky we put it in place. So far so good!

I do have a few seems on the ends of the sections, but no fasteners. With the pad on the underside it does smooth out some of the imperfections, but I admit I should have taken more time on others. All in all it looks good, not great, but like Ace said, I saved a bunch, and I did it my way.

The key is to use the glue that the professionals use for holding it to the ceiling, I really don't think the spray cans would have worked. I did have to mask off the cabinets and finished walls to keep over spray off them, and the fumes were really bad until I placed a barn fan in the doorway blowing them out.
Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »

One more

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »

That looks good Jim. In fact, we currently have a short pile carpet with wood trim (I think it looks good and with the little steam cleaner is easy to take care of) but the wife wants something more along the lines of what you've done. Thanks for the info, Will

pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

We put Ozite on our ceiling eight years ago, so far it doesn't hold any smells we do not allow any cigarette smoking, in fact the bus still smells new inside, we cook with the stove exhaust fan on all the time.  We also have an exhaust fan in the ceiling in the kitchen area. We chose to put the Ozite ceiling up first, that way it's behind all the cabinets, we put all the wiring in snap track conduit, we ran 12 volt down the driver side and 110 volt down the passenger side, it comes in all different sizes.

We cut the Ozite for the width of the ceiling and sewed them together side by side for the length.  About 4 panels, we did it in two sections, half the bus at a time.  On the ceiling we have 3/8     limo ceiling insulating rubber, which is glued on to the ceiling with industrial strength professional glue, we sprayed the ceiling with glue and the Ozite with professional glue, (it comes in 5 gallon buckets) we used a spray gun to put it on.  We centered the Ozite and put the center up first and worked outwards.  See pictures.
Where it was sewn together at the seam it looks  like a rib, see pictures.

We've had many comments on it, including one from Ron The
Busnut.

I hope the pictures give enough info for what I talked about.

Pete & Jean
                 FANTASY

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

Just two more pic
              Pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

Pete, that's a great job.Ron has told me about that ceiling before now I know what he was talking about.I have never had a problem with Ozite materail  that wasn't caused by human error, the 1st time mine was replaced was because my grandson shook a coke and sprayed the ceiling(his mother not watching)and the stains we could never get out.The second time was from a guy who installed a new Fan-Tastic fan and it leaked leaving a large water spot tried to just cut the area out but it never looked good.And as far as smell goes we don't smoke or allow smoking in our coach, all the people I know tell me that Ozite will not absorb smells like vinyl and foam I don't know wouldn't argue the point but your ceiling looks great   good luck
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 03:15:57 AM »

I was in the construction stage of my bus trying to decide on Vynil, carpet, ozite. What to use, what kinda glue ect.  I was at Jack Conrads and a man showed up with an oak and mirror ceiling. I could not wait to do it.  I am not good with large pieces of mateial but I enjoy working with wood.
 I would post a picture but cant do it right now.   Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:23 AM »

This is not JJR's ceiling but ours, which is similar.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
VanTare

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 04:38:47 AM »

Nice looking ceiling Jack is that Plexiglas mirror,Vantare is big on mirrored and metal ceiling.   
 you guys do work like the pros
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 04:54:38 AM »

Ozite (indoor/outdoor carpet) and Plexi Mirror w/twinky light border)

installed 4 year ago - still looks good

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »

The resizer is working again!!   Here is a picture of my ceiling and yes it is plexiglas mirror.  I did the curved part of the roof with ozite, I paid to have it done. Then had to redo it myself!!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:18:29 AM by jjrbus » Logged

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 06:51:49 AM »

I did my ceiling with a marine hull liner that looks like ozite (maybe it is). Glued it on with 3M spray cans. In one piece. Trim around the edges after. It hasn't fallen off and it doesn't smell.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
New2Busin
Ben

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »

Looking at all this fine work makes my mouth water!!!!   Can't wait to get started on mine... Wink

New to Busing, but looking forward to a new adventure and meeting a new breed of folks.  If motorcyle families are close, can only imagine what a bus family is like.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: