Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air brake educational information  (Read 3393 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:19:28 AM »

the above links are helpful....this was the first thing I learnt about air brakes

http://flxibleowners.org/flxbk/brakes.htm

and I thought it was a good starting place.

Dallas

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 06:51:21 AM »

Zub,

The picture shown of the Flx with the LARGE hole in the front left corner belonged to the late Patrick (Poppy) Shlicht.

Cat and I worked on that bus in January of 2008 at a storage yard in lower Alabama, just across the bay from Pensacola, Fl.

We used luaun to build a temporary front and side for it, and got the engine, (427 Chevy) running again.

The problem with the brakes wasn't that they were mis-adjusted..... the problem was that the PO had installed an upgrade of spring brakes and did a really great job..... except he forgot to remove the cage bolts in the spring brake cans, so the bus only had the front brakes to stop with.

When coming up on a stopped flat bed truck, Poppy couldn't get enough brake to stop and the photo is the result of the joining of 2 motor vehicles.
He was thrown from the drivers seat to the floor, still hanging on to the steering wheel, and the drivers seat was torn from the floor and sent back about 6 feet.

I believe that bus is now in Chattanooga at Don Bowen's Garage. It has a whole new front and probably looks prettier than it has in the last 15 years.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: