Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 11:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: super ten speed transmission  (Read 16618 times)
lloyd

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

Has anyone out there driving a truck/bus with an Eaton super 10 speed? If so what did you think of it?
LLoyd
letz4wheel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »

I enjoyed the Super 10 tranny. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it all will be well. Most drivers either love it or hate it but usually the ones that hate it don't really give it a chance. (kinda like the automatics-lol)
The super 10 top 2 is one I like even better. You shift the 1st eight gears like normal the you put it in the 9/10 gear slot and it shifts those for you..as a truck driver you spend a lot of time shifting in 9 and 10.

Doug

'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »

The nice thing about the Super 10 (which is not made anymore) is that if the splitter goes south, you can still shift it like a 5 speed, so long as the range selector still works.  The transmission automatically shifts into high range when you shift into the 4-5 gear position.
For those of you that don't know the difference, a normal 10 speed is shifted by first going through the first 5 gears, then pulling up on the range selector and then repeating the 5 speeds again in high range.  The super 10 has a splitter, so you only shift the gears 5 times and split each gear to make the 10 speeds.  The super 10 cuts the gear shift movements in half with the use of the splitter-hence the fact that you either loved it or hated the transmission.  Evidently the hated group won out since the transmission is not made anymore.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
BUR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

I had a truck with the Super 10, took a little getting use to at first. I got to where I really liked it. I think it would be a great transmission for a Bus. Most of the time on a hill you only have to drop one gear and how nice would it be to just use the splitter. The weak link was the key way on the main shaft, but can't  see that as a reason I wouldn't put one in my Bus.     BUR

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:26:42 AM »

My Freightshaker has a Super 10 in it mated to a 380 HP ISM, with 4.11 gears.

I'd be thinking it would be a lovely choice (both the Super 10 and/or the Cummins) for a bus conversion. The splitter on each gear makes skipping a gear a breeze, just move the stick. And no range change for the driver to worry about, Just follow the 5 speed H pattern.

A real winner when slowing for a corner.

Works just like the top of a 13 speed, or like a 18 speed: move the stick every second gear, flick the splitter on the other one, only the change in ratios are bigger steps on the Super 10.

The Top 2 transmissions with the automated 9th and 10th gears were a pain on maintenance as they aged. Perhaps, as they were the leading edge of "smart" transmissions, they suffered due to the learning curve of the techs? Anyway, be careful in your choice of used if you go that route.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »

The very very bad thing about the "Super 10" is that if you have a lifetime experience shifting the "normal" 10 speed you may (will) eventually forget the different shifting pattern and spread your tranny all over the highway.

Someone earlier mentioned the Super Ten is no longer made.  Makes one kinda wonder why.  I thought the "Super" was the basis for the current "Auto Shift" and Ultra Shift" automated Eatons.

However, lots of us have crawled home or just off the freeway stuck in the low side of the older Fullers.  Yeah, a big advantage of the Super Ten is that if new to shifting, you can get lazy and just use five gears.

Or, if your "spliter" fails, you can still physically drive the Bus Conversion or heavy truck, something not possible with the older range shift type of 10-speeds.  Guess it is all in what one is used too.  RTO-910's are cool.

Fuller years ago also had a model called "The Snapper".  Had just four (4) gear positions; each with an under, direct and over.  Supposingly didn't need to use the clutch.  Utterly failed commercially.  HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: