Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 12:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new update about Silver Eagle Bus  (Read 5061 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Thank you Wayne and all of the others who are helping to support Silver Eagle Bus! I can imagine that Silver Eagle is doing its best to support you all in return. I hope that Silver Eagle will be around for a long time to come.

Can I hear an Amen?  Wink

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »

I think perhaps people are misinterpreting my post - I wasn't trying to draw an interpretation either way from Silver Eagle's search for funding, merely to suggest a possible route based on what they themselves had requested, which was $250-300k per vehicle for a series of confirmed orders. Concluding anything beyond this is really just speculation, unless presumably the poster has inside knowledge as some have suggested.

Just to be clear, I really don't have an axe to grind in this discussion - I'm very happy to believe that Silver Eagle are already succeeding and hope they continue to do so and can produce a world class American-built bus.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
VanTare

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 03:29:44 PM »

I know absolutely nothing about Sliver Eagle Mfg but the owner made one mistake that I can see from being in the manufacturing business for 33 years and that would be believing the City of Brownsville Tx. I know they proably did the same to him as me promises of low intrest loans, low rent and low low taxes . Having dealt with this group for 18 years I packed up 8 years ago moved my operations to Bexar County Tx (San Antonio)if he is successful in getting 5 mil he should call Southwestern Motor Freight and get of Brownsville as fast as possible I did.  just a few thoughts from somebody that has been there       

David
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:46:25 PM by VanTare » Logged
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »

I know absolutely nothing about Sliver Eagle Mfg but the owner made one mistake that I can see from being in the manufacturing business for 33 years and that would be believing the City of Brownsville Tx. I know they proably did the same to him as me promises of low intrest loans, low rent and low low taxes . Having dealt with this group for 18 years I packed up 8 years ago moved my operations to Bexar County Tx (San Antonio)if he is successful in getting 5 mil he should call Southwestern Motor Freight and get of Brownsville as fast as possible I did.  just a few thoughts from somebody that has been there

That's funny.... I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Of all the places to put a business in Texas, why the he!! would someone park it in Brownsville?  From logistics, to the skilled labor pool, to proximity/accessibility to major transportation hubs for you clients, it just doesn't make sense.  They must have been promised some serious coin in tax breaks...
SmoothJazz

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:56:12 AM »

Ktmossman,

What do you know about Brownsville? They happen to have a very experienced skilled labor pool that actually built Eagle Coaches for 25 years there. They have an airport, all of the major transportation companies and the Port of Brownsville. Brownsville is also situated equally between the east and west coasts, so shipping costs are not much different than if they were anywhere else in Texas. I happen to take offense to your post as it seems as though you might not know anything about Brownsville.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

Remember guys, we want this board to stay nice and civil. People can have opinions, but don't get offended. No decision is ever bad (to the person). The person who made that decision had a good reason. Please, lets be adults here. Wink Grin

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Eagle78550
Above All... Eagle

93 Eagle 15-45

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:36 AM »

I agree with smoothjazz..Brownsville is and always will be home to Eagle. I moved to Brownsville back in the 90's only to work for Eagle Coach. When Eagle closed in 96 I never left ..I moved to Harlingen ( which is just up the road ) and was honored to work again at Silver Eagle when Craig fired it up. The Rio Grande Valley has some of the finest people I have ever known. When Craig brought back Eagle the former employees ...some nearing retirement age.... came to the plant and wanted to help ...some still go by the plant to this day just to see what is going on. With NAFTA and the maquiladoros the shipping in and out of the Valley is second to none. I hope and pray on a daily basis that Craig and his family ( and it is a family operation ) succeed to the highest regard. 600+ employees and a coach every 12 hours USA proud....just like back in the day ...anytime Craig or Dan need my help or assistance they know I am just a phone call away.

God Bless the United States of America and God Bless Silver Eagle Bus Mfg !!!   
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Look what you started David kinda like your post on another board when you said you liked your Newell better than the Prevost you have now  lol  good luck
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

I have nothing against Brownsville (any more than any other place in TX, and less than a few).  It is a reasonably nice place (as far as places in TX go).  I'm just saying that, if I was going to start a vehicle manufacturing business in TX catering to a nationwide clientele, there would be a good-sized list of locations I would choose first, based on a number of factors.

I have never lived in Brownsville, but we did frequent the area when I had the misfortune of living in TX.  Shocked  Whether we were vacationing on South Padre or heading down to CV on a mission trip, or any number of things, we were in the Brownsville area several times a year.  I haven't been there in a number of years as I generally avoid TX except to visit my parents and in-laws.
SmoothJazz

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »

Ktmossman,

I would invite you to come visit Brownsville as it has changed tremendously over the last 10 years. It is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. The population is 160,000 plus, almost double what it was twenty years ago. It is growing because they have attracted a lot of new businesses to locate here. They currently are building a sports park with a 23 million dollar price tag. This will bring in people by the bus loads for sporting events. If you have not been here for quite some time, then you might not recognize it if you come back. Come visit.
Eagle78550
Above All... Eagle

93 Eagle 15-45

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »

Oh I understand now ...it is not Brownsville in particular ...you just dont like Texas in general.
I feel better now......LOL !!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »

Hey I live in Texas, and no matter where you go, you are still in Texas! Roll Eyes

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »

I used to live in Texas and loved it.  I think it was where I felt the most "at home".  So even though I'm not there anymore, and I wasn't born there, I still think of Texas as my home state.
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 08:17:53 AM »

You are correct...  I dislike Texas.  I lived there for over a decade, married a born/bred Texas girl, and both my in-laws (Abilene) and parents (DFW) are there.  But I have absolutely NO desire to live there again.  I might consider living in San Antonio given adequate employment, because it is such a beautiful city, but even that would take some convincing.

SmoothJazz, I think you made my point.  A labor pool of 160K is just not that big considering some of the major cities in TX.  The Brownsville airport just doesn't quite measure up to DFW (heck, Love Field might be bigger), Austin, Houston, etc. (not just in size, but in ticket costs, flight availability, etc.)  Major trade shows and events are going to be in major metro areas.  All of these things would be considerations in where to base a startup business.  Not trying to knock Brownsville as a city (I tend to dislike large cities in general, personally), but just basic demographic facts that would influence business decisions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: