Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC8  (Read 4913 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
MC8
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

I have been looking at 2 different MC8s to buy for a conversion. I had them both go into the shop (detroit diesel/ allison)

This is what they found:
MC8 #1:
right front clearance light not working
right side front turn signal not working
coolant at +10F and needs to be replaced
many engine oil leaks
Trans leaks at filter head, cooler fittings leak (all 4)
trans dipstick tube at the pan leaks (needs brazed) and output flange leak
power steering has a leak
lots of oil comming out of the air dryer (mans the compressor needs to be replaced)
pinion seal and gasket leak at the diff

MC8 #2
Front axle wheel seal needs to be replaced. (oil is contaminated with water)
replace air dryer cartridge and purge kit (water in air system)
Front and rear trailing arm bushings warn
reseal rear pinion seal leaking
replace rear drive axle fluid
air compressor feed line leaking air
engine blower motor bushings are warn
radiator showing signs of leaking
engine oil leaks
trans service harsh shifts 1-2
power steering leak at tras area
tune up air filter

Please let me know what here is REALLY bad. Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:19:03 PM by Oregonconversion » Logged

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »

I own an MC8 and if I had to choose I would take the first one.

Replacing the compressor is not a bad or expensive job.

I'm not sure how much of a problem the pinion seal is.

OIL LEAKS it's a detroit. I have been told if you paint an anvil detroit green it will leak oil -- they can be fixed but you have to really want to fix them.

Before I would buy it I would get an infrared thermometer and when it is up to operating temp check both radiators at multiple locations to be sure that there are no blocked tubes and the cooling system is up to speed.

That was the single biggest problem I had was overheating but I live in the southwest and at altitude.

Just my opinion and you know how those are.

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »

I will save somebody some typing, and state the obvious. Also a lot depends on the price.

"""right front clearance light not working"""      No big deal

right side front turn signal not working"""         No big deal

coolant at +10F and needs to be replaced"""    No big deal

"""many engine oil leaks"""   Might not be a big deal... Depending on where they are from. A lot of them just take a little maintenance.

Trans leaks at filter head, cooler fittings leak (all 4)""" I'm not sure, sounds a little worse...

""""trans dipstick tube at the pan leaks (needs brazed) and output flange leak
lots of oil comming out of the air dryer (mans the compressor needs to be replaced)""" Routine mantinence
pinion seal and gasket leak at the diff"""         Some of these issues might be a little more major. Biggest thing is how mechanical are you? If you need a shop to do all of these it might be in a different category.

Bus #2

I don't have time for... Right now. Grin Grin Grin By morning, if nobody else responds, I will finish up. I just didn't want to lose this part.

God bless,

John

PS Melbo and I just crossed posts.

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »

Unless they are free, I'd run from both. 
Both are bad sick.   No one issue is show-stopping, but the list is going to get expensive to repair.
Be especially wary of pinion seals leaking.  You may have more than a seal failing.  Pinion bearing failure cost more than the bus is worth to repair. 
Same thing with radiators.  Cost big. 
Too many issues on those coaches.   
There are a good many decent coaches to choose from if you'll look around a little.
A good 2 stroke won't leak much oil.   All those oil leaks indicate a total lack of maintenance. 
Be careful!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:51:46 AM »

It all depends on the price point.

MC8 shell or seated coach are pretty much done, value wise.

Nothing above scrap value unless the coach is lovely and ready to roll.

And I have an '8 and a parts bus too.....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
John316

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »

Good idea, having somebody look at them. Personally, for number one to be right, the price would have to be great. You might want the shop to quote getting those issues fixed. You will also want to decide how much you want to spend getting it going. You might find a steal of a deal, sometime, but usually you pay for what you get. Even with our 95 DL3 (MCI) we have sunk a busload of money, to get it into pretty reasonable condition (We did a lot of the work ourselves (parts are expensive), since our DD and Allison shop is too expensive. I think that its up to $135 an hour now!!!).

That's my .000002, and JMHO.

HTH

God bless,

John

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »

I think you should tell us the two main parts to your Delmer,

1) How much are they asking for each coach?
2) Can or are you willing to work on your bus yourself?
3) What part of the country are you from.

John
John316

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:10:47 AM »

John, I will do the normal, and state the obvious (which I am really good at) Grin Grin Grin. I think that he is from Oregon. Not that I know this as a fact, but I will go out on a limb and make this assumption Wink Grin Grin. The other questions I'm not sure on.

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:49:15 AM by John316 » Logged

Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

The price for each is 10K

is that a decent price?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »

Trans leaks at filter head, cooler fittings leak (all 4)
trans dipstick tube at the pan leaks (needs brazed) and output flange leak
lots of oil comming out of the air dryer (mans the compressor needs to be replaced)
pinion seal and gasket leak at the diff

How expensive are these to fix from the first bus?

The first one shakes A LOT in the back when not in fast idle. Is this ok?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »

Waaaaaayyyy high!  Run screaming in the opposite direction!  Just take a good long look at the e-place under "buses" and see how many have no bids.  The bottom fell out of the bus market at about the same time the housing market tanked.  For 10K, you can end up with a nice finished conversion and modify it to suit your needs.  I'm glad to hear you took them to be inspected.  Keep looking.  There are plenty out there with desperate sellers!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

What Tenor said!!

Plenty of other buses out there for the same or less $$$$$.

JMHO

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »

The price for each is 10K
is that a decent price?

NO!!!

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »

I wonder if when choosing should u even care if engine tranny work or are even include & star with clean slate. meaning w (or rebuilt re manned stuff)new.
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

Here is a big list with some MC-8's even.  I think its a bit dated but the prices are about right if the buses are represented correctly. http://frontlinebuses.com/a5-8.pdf
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:47 AM »

Oregon,

I think 10k is to high as you can buy a converted 8 or 9 now for 10 to 15k
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 05:29:11 AM »

Have seen some really decent MC 9s for less than $10 Grand.  MC 9 is a better bus (better looking, too).  The economy is making this a buyer's market.  If you can afford to buy a bus, get the best one your money will buy.
BC Bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 07:58:03 AM »

Can you direct me to a site where I can get a converted MC 9 for 10K - 15K ?

GMC Buffalo  &  MC9

Always willing to help a Busnut !
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »

I've been watching vigilantly for those kind of deals and I have not seen them.  Add another 5K and you start to get into the decent stuff.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »

I have not seen any decent converted 8 or 9 coaches for under 20K and right now 10K is my max Sad

I do not want to buy a coach that is not local, I want to be able to see and feel the bus before I buy it.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

I bought my MCI 7 with new engine,new tires, re-skinned with RV windows, no interior and a TON of conversion stuff for 3500.00.  I have about a total of 13K into it and I'm done besides batteries and cables for the inverter.  I am building my own version of the Moosecreek Motorcabin, so that keeps the interior costs down.  I put my money into mechanicals, such as Vanner equalizers, 4k watt inverter, newer used appliances, genset, spray foam insulation etc.  Look for a better deal on the bus and use the capital for conversion.  Keep looking locally and on e-bay.  There are great deals to be had.  You are absolutly right to want to get the feel of it before you buy!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

I just took a quick look on Ebay and saw a fully converted MCI 9 with a buy it now of 13,000.  There are definitely good deals out there.  You can also use Crazedlist.org and search Craigslist by region or individual markets.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

I do not want to buy a coach that is not local, I want to be able to see and feel the bus before I buy it.

Jim -

If you want to buy local, then start hoofing around to the charter and tour bus operators in your area.  This is the "slow" time of the year for a lot of carriers, and often when they will unload older fleet vehicles - especially if they've got new equipment coming.

Look for a coach that's been owned by the same company since new - if they spent the money up front to buy it, chances are good they've spent the money necessary to maintain it.

You don't mention in your profile or signature what part of Oregon you're in, but there are quite a few carriers throughout the state.

OTOH, if you're willing to venture south to CA and visit a few carriers, with stops in Sacramento, San Jose, Modesto, Visalia, Lancaster and Rancho Cucamonga, there are six major carriers that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend purchasing a coach from.

Here's two examples on eBay right now, from a couple of the carriers I'd recommend:  180305799716 and 200270332864

As for the MC-8s you asked about. . . Offer the seller $5K for BOTH of them, part the worst of the two out, and use that money toward repairing the other one.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »

Theres a couple 8s on the Frontline Bus. One at 8500.00 and 1 at 7500.00.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »

I just took a quick look on Ebay and saw a fully converted MCI 9 with a buy it now of 13,000.  There are definitely good deals out there.  You can also use Crazedlist.org and search Craigslist by region or individual markets.

Remember that a "buy it now" that doesn't sell becomes a "make offer" for most owners. 
Most incomplete conversions, or home grown conversions won't sell in today's market...unless the buyer is allowed to steal the coach.
A good many private bus owners would almost give the project away to have it out of the yard. 
An unused (unwanted?  Sad)  bus is a huge albatross.   
Shop till you drop! You'll find a deal. 
Try to find some local busnuts to look at your potential purchases.  Often, if you find one out of your immediate area, you could find a busnut that will look at it for you.   
If you're on a ridgid budget, be sure that you understand what a bus costs to operate and maintain.   They ain't cheap to use.    This is especially so if you are not a mechanic sort.   

JR

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:11:27 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »

A limited budget might mean a breakdown and an eventual tow to the scrap dealer because you can't afford repairs. I see this ocasionally along PCH and it breaks my heart. It costs money to maintain these wonderfull creatures properly. Just my $.0002 worth. Good luck. We all want to see more conversions on the road so we can oggle and drool, Will

blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 04:52:49 AM »

The cost of the bus is just a small part of the overall cost of the conversion.  You can get a 102A3 for just a little more than what these buses cost.  YOU will be far better off down the line with a 102 wide bus that the 96 in ones. 
It cost the same to convert eather one.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »

Cost wise, I don't think you can beat purchasing a bus already converted. But like everyone is saying have someone that knows buses to check it out. I like others feel the next 12 months will be an excellent time to buy.

John
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:08 AM »

My $.02 is to find the best you can like the experts have said. My bus was $29,000, then $4700 for new clutch and power steering pump, blown air bag at rv park, decided to have all 8 replaced and power steering box leak repaired another $4400, 6 new back tires $1900. So like they say after you get it home other things can pop up that need doing. I am mechanical but theses were items that I was not able to do at home so I had to pay for them.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »

My $.02 is to find the best you can like the experts have said. My bus was $29,000, then $4700 for new clutch and power steering pump, blown air bag at rv park, decided to have all 8 replaced and power steering box leak repaired another $4400, 6 new back tires $1900. So like they say after you get it home other things can pop up that need doing. I am mechanical but theses were items that I was not able to do at home so I had to pay for them.

Amen.   Other thing$ WILL pop up.   Shocked
I also agree with Jack regarding the 102" coach.   I've had excellent success with my old MC9, but...an extra 6" sure would be nice... Wink
If buying a bus, buying the best shell may be a better approach than looking for a completed coach.   Although, both are around at fire-sale prices.  A self-limiting factor is the 'local' focus of your search.  Don't be afraid to look a day or so drive from your home.   
If you locate a home-grown conversion, be sure that ALL systems work as designed, and that the coach will fit your needs.    Don't buy an all electric coach if you plan to do a lot of boonying.   Consider your needs.   And remember that there are very few owner converted coaches that don't need major 'adjustments' in some form.   
Look at Ebay, private bus sites, and craigslist.  Place a 'want-ad'...
Fuel is getting less expensive so moving a bus over long distances isn't quite as painful.   
Scan, what sort of tires did you buy for $1900 bucks?  What size?  I've been shopping tires and about $450 each is what I'm finding...what I wanted was in the $700 each range.   Michelins.   Forget that.   Looking at Firestone again.
Moving my steering tires to the tags and replacing drive and steers.   The tire thing has been on hold for a bit due to an unexpected interaction with the healthcare industry... Huh   Alas, we'll get going again soon. 

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: