Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 08:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top or bottom ?  (Read 4133 times)
Airbag

« on: November 16, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »

I have perfectly functional bus with all the comforts of home. I flip flop between tearing the whole interior out of it to doing nothing and living with what I have. I think a more logical approach might be to upgrade one piece at a time. All of it could be improved.

Pros
It is warm, comfortable and everything works.

Cons
No shower just a tub that fits a child.
Carpet on the ceiling.
Carpet on the floor is very old nasty red shag  Tongue
Walls and cabinets are cheap paneling with edging that is falling off.

I would like to start replacing stuff but don't really know what the logical first steps should be. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Would one start at the ceiling first or floor first? Can this be done in baby steps or should I leave well enough alone?

This interior has been installed for 25 plus years and you can see it needs help, any input is apreciated.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

I would start with the ceiling since you could mess up the floor without feeling bad-as compared to doing the floor first then the ceiling.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »

Wink Been there, done that; we spent a little more than three and a half years
reworking our 4104, it was converted in 1980 and we redid everything inside.
By all means start with the ceiling, we used Fibre Wall of Canada's Fibre Decor,
it looks and handles like papier mache, but it makes a beautiful ceiling.  We have
had a little cracking where we had to make a thick application.  Nothing to complain
about though.  You can email me off board for more details, we have replaced corner
materials, moldings and counter tops along with a lot of other things to numerous
for the space here.
Blessings,
David
PD4104-2977
Winton, CA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:18 AM »

Hi Airbag,

I know what you are going through first hand! Like Tom said start at the top and work down. I would also add to start at the rear and work forward. That way by the time you get to the front, you will have worked out all the bugs and it will show like you knew what you were doing. Wink

You can see mine here, it didn't have carpet on the ceiling but it had tuck and roll! Talk about the 60's look!

http://www.uniquebusconversion.com/

Have fun and be safe,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:13 AM »

Paul and Tom give good advice, start with the ceiling in the rear. Estimate how long and how much $$$, When done compare what it really takes to do it. Then you can decide if you want to tackle the rest. You will find if you take your estimate both time and money and triple it, you may be close!!
The bus is unique, It's warm, it's cozy and you want to fix this??    Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:09 AM »

Hi Airbag,
I like the ceiling, but it may look better in the picture than in person. The dark wood walls and cabinets are what is depressing to me. Brightening up the woodwork would go a long way toward making the interior seem more open and inviting. Maybe painting the cabinets a light, bright color and puting light colored wallpaper on the walls would be an inexpensive approach. A new lighter colored countertop and tabletop might also help without too much cost. Then new flooring and curtains could be all you need. Gee, spending other peoples money is sure fun!
Good luck with whatever you decide. Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »

No No Keep it as it is just grow a ponytail and get some sandals. Get your wife to burn her bra and wear peasant skirts. You have a real period piece.  Cheesy

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »

Whatever you do keep it in condition so you can use it in some fashion.  It seems to me that the greatest dream killer with these projects is too much time between conception and use.  Keep it useable and it will be easier to get motivated to keep on keeping on.  As far as the looks of it goes - its whatever you can handle.  We were in one not that different last winter deep along the Pacific coast of Mexico.  The owners of that one didn't seem to mind the appearance and were completely enjoying their trip.  It certainly didn't matter to us what their coach looked like on the inside or the outside.  And it 100% didn't matter to the Mexicans.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »

All good advice up to this point.  The ceiling looks usable but could get tiring.  I could see where some people would find it annoying.  Our first bus had similar wood paneling which we painted.  It always amazes me what you can do with paint.  Because it is cheap, you can always redo the walls later on without feeling that you have lost anything.  If you are going to paint the paneling, I would do that before you attack the ceiling.  With the right colors, you may find the ceiling more acceptable.  I wonder whether there is a way to dye the ceiling carpet in place.  There are also relatively inexpensive and reasonably fast ways to approach the floor.  The biggest thing sounds like the bath, but since you already have the plumbing there, maybe you could just build a water tight enclosure all the way up and either hard plumb the shower nozzle or use a shower spray hose attachment.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:36:28 PM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »

Airbag, Your bus looks warm and inviting, Mine looks sterile!  I am jealous because I do not have a tub.  Good luck with what ever You choose to do!  John
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »

By the way, if I were to paint the panels, I might leave the cabinets alone at first.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

I love your interior.

Don't do a thing - well, maybe replace the carpet on the floor if it is beyond cleaning.

You have no idea of what you are considering getting yourself into - years of hard work when you could be relaxing.

Junkman's post about looking sterile says it all. This is the problem with all the  modern conversions with light furniture, light hard flooring. Really boring and they look like S&S inside!!

Anyway, why try to look like everyone else?? This is the last thing I want to do. I've never been able to understand this pack mentality??

Finally, you have answered your own question - "perfectly functional bus with all the comforts of home"!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

I thought I had seen everything, but an oriental rug on the ceiling?  I guess this is why we do it our way.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Airbag

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »

From what I have heard from all you we think alike. It is usable the way it is. Maybe buy another bus and start from scratch while we enjoy this one? Sure is some good deals out there right now. Lots of factors to consider, we are busy now at the shop for some reason airplanes are coming out of the wood work. If it continues we might be able to buy another bus.

Some things have to be set right like the bathroom and the floor. You can see in the picture who ever built the bathroom did not own a plumb bob. The walls are canted toward the center of the bus and the pocket door of the bathroom weighs a ton and falls off its rollers.

I have a mental problem / when I start working on something I don't know when to stop disassembling. I suppose that is why I own an airplane restoration shop we tear em down till there is no fasteners left to remove. I am afraid I will get carried away with this bus and not have a bus to enjoy for a long time. I will just have to have my wife stand by me and not let me take to much apart at one time.

I really enjoy looking at all the fine interiors you guys and gals have created and it gets me inspired. How to break the news that we might buy another bus "hum" ??

By the way if you go to my website on the bottom of my posts you will see we vacuum form parts so if anybody is in need of a special widget for their bus made of plastic and want to thermoform it to shape I will be glad to do it for you, just buy the materials and I form it for you no charge. You can see the acrylic lenses we fabricate are very exotic in shape. I would like to use this capability for my bus interior in spots. This process is used in the auto industry for interior parts and maybe be usefull in our buses.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:51:59 PM by Airbag » Logged
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:24:51 AM »

Hi Airbag,

Very interesting job and site you have, nice looking Sunbeam, is it yours?

Just do your bus your way and you will be happy. Make a plan and get dirty. As has been said already, keep it usable while you work on making it your coach. Keep the wife happy and have fun! Grin

Keep it level,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »

I have always heard that carpet on the ceiling and walls absorbed odor.  Just clean the stuff with a carpet cleaner and use their cleaning solution.  Then "rinse" with water with borax dissolved in it and odor all gone.

Shag must go!!!!

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Airbag

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

Hi Airbag,

Very interesting job and site you have, nice looking Sunbeam, is it yours?

Just do your bus your way and you will be happy. Make a plan and get dirty. As has been said already, keep it usable while you work on making it your coach. Keep the wife happy and have fun! Grin

Keep it level,

Paul

The Sunbeam is one of three I own and is my daily driver. Believe it or not it is very reliable. I am restoring one completely and have just taken it off the rotissary and I have installed a GM Quad 4 180hp engine with a T-5 tranny. It will have more power than a stock Tiger with less weight. It will be the wifes car (all part of keeping her happy)   Smiley

Thank you to all that have inspired me here.

Yes John you are so right the shag must go.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:40:36 PM by Airbag » Logged
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 07:46:47 PM »

Rick,

You're right, if you start taking the bus apart you will not be able to use it for the next few (maybe more than a few) years. If you have definite ideas about what you want a bus to be then start from scratch. From what I've read on this forum that is much easier.

I hate taking things apart. I've had my TR4 apart for four years. I could have been enjoying it and that wasn't even for a restoration, it was just for a thorough paint job!!

I bought my bus already converted because I'm too old to start from scratch, I want to enjoy it while I can.

I have an Aeronca Champ that could use some airframe work; however, I see from your website that I am a bit out of your league!! I stopped there once for avgas in my Stinson 108 and brought everything to a halt while they figured out how to fuel such a small airplane.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Airbag

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »

Rick,

You're right, if you start taking the bus apart you will not be able to use it for the next few (maybe more than a few) years. If you have definite ideas about what you want a bus to be then start from scratch. From what I've read on this forum that is much easier.

I hate taking things apart. I've had my TR4 apart for four years. I could have been enjoying it and that wasn't even for a restoration, it was just for a thorough paint job!!

I bought my bus already converted because I'm too old to start from scratch, I want to enjoy it while I can.

I have an Aeronca Champ that could use some airframe work; however, I see from your website that I am a bit out of your league!! I stopped there once for avgas in my Stinson 108 and brought everything to a halt while they figured out how to fuel such a small airplane.

Hello Gus
I know what you mean about your TR-4. My Quad 4 Sunbeam is going on two years now and it all boils down to time. We are not at all out of your league with your Aeronca I have built a couple of Champs in my shop. The Starships we fell into a couple of years ago and we do many different types of aircraft. I have a Maul and a Bonanza in the shop now for annuals. I love doing fabric and my fabric work is in the Smithsonian on Patty Wagstaff's Extra 260 that I recovered. I would be honored to help you with any airframe work you may require. My contact info is on the web site.
You may have our airport confused with Pinal Air park where all the airliners are stored. We are south of there and called Marana Northwest Regional.

Rick
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »

Rick,

You're correct, I did have the two airports confused. I remembered after I posted that there were airliners everywhere and that was the cause for all the confusion.

I thought Beech took all the Starships out of circulation except one holdout? I always thought they were great airplanes but just too radical for most buyers.

Fabric is my favorite. I was unhappy that my Stinson was metal because fabric is so much easier to work with. My Champ has the PolyFiber (Stitts) system, which is new to me, but I like it much better than dope systems.

We usually visit in AZ and CA every spring and drive right by your airport on the way from Tuscon to Phoenix or San Diego. Next year I'll come by to see that bus in person, I think it is great.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: