Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 11:23:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's the computer networking guru on the board?  (Read 2945 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

Ok, here's an update to this problem I posted last week....

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions and offers.
I didn't get time to call Tom, but was able to find the solution this weekend.

The problem turned out to be with a Cisco VPN Client I had installed on my XP machine a month ago to
allow me to work from home part time. The VPN Client has a Stateful firewall built into it that is always on, even when the VPN Client is not! Thank you very much Cisco!

So this firewall was blocking all ICMP traffic trying to come into the XP machine. This includes echo requests generated by Ping, so no other system on my network could see the XP machine. The problem was actually already there when I tried to connect the new Vista laptop, but because the other machines on my network are used by my wife and daughter and they seldom access the files on the XP machine I was not aware the problem existed.

The solution was to turn off the Stateful firewall in the VPN Client. Fortunately, they put a command in the options control to disable it. Once it was turned off, all was fine and I was able to access the XP files from all points on the local net. I was even able to open a remote desktop on the XP machine fromt he Vista laptop. Worked slick.

This was a nasty one. I spent a hell of a lot of time trying to find this one. On the plus side, I did learn a bit more about networking and cleared up a couple other minor issues that had been in the system.

I'm not a big fan of Vista. They took away some of the features of XP that I have grown accustomed to.
Also, my Vista version is 64 bit, and the Cisco VPN Client only comes in 32 bit so it won't run on the laptop. All that means is I won't have to work this weekend while I'm away for Thanksgiving Smiley

Moderators, this message can be moved to OT, if you wish. Thanks for allowing it to stay in the main area for the week.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »

I suggest the free trial version of Network Magic from CISCO and let the program do all the work. It's at http://http://www1.purenetworks.com/product/pro.php

Oh, BTW, I stumbled across this suggestion on another board, also, so gave it a try. Didn't help one bit, and to top it off, it left a bunch of crap installed on my machine that I could not uninstall. Had to actually restore my system to a point prior to the installation of the magic crap.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »

I didn't get time to call Tom, but was able to find the solution this weekend.
This was a nasty one. I spent a hell of a lot of time .

craig

Should have called me, you'd have had time enough to make me some fudge instead of troubleshooting your network.  that would not have been a waste of time.

i hate anything with "magic" in the title.  it usually works great until you get a ms update and then you have no clue what happened or where to start reversing anything.

glad you will have time off away from support and enjoying thanksgiving.  i know i deserve time off and i'm going to take it
Everyone have a great turkey day!

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: