Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 07:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ddec 6v92  (Read 3453 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »

A quick story about lugging engines.  When I had my Kenworth with the 8V-92TA, I was hauling beer and beverages in California and going over the Grape Vine either north or south everyday.  I wanted to get better fuel mileage (back then about 4.6).  Delaney and Ahlff told me to upshift at 1800 and down shift at 1400 and not use the splitter in the 13 speed.  Well, I left out of the Budweiser brewery with two other guys, one had a big cam 400 Cummins and the other a new Pete with a 6 and 4 trans with a 400 Caterpillar and we all weighed the same 80,000lbs. On the hills I just walked by them both, and they couldn't believe my Yamaha could pull so well. Running it down in the torque range is why it pulled so well.  On a DDEC 2 stroker, the torque is rated at 1300rpm, and I wouldn't be afraid of pulling it down that far.  If you have a non turbo with 60 injectors max, or a 92 series with no bigger than 90 injectors, pulling down to 1200 rpm won't hurt them-despite what is thought in the industry-I know I've done it with my first truck, and got 500,000 miles on my first overhaul.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: