Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: walking on roof....  (Read 3451 times)
turbobrat930

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »

Ok, Another newbee question here... I have read about 50 pages worth of posts so far, and getting tired...I need to hit the sack for the night, but one question before I go...

When we are at the racetrack and are using my buddy's Warnderlodge, we get up on the roof, sit in some camping chairs, and watch part of the race from there. Great platform for taking pictures. The Wanderlodge has diamond plating on the exterior of the roof, and I believe came from the factory that way. Is is very sturdy.

Here is my question...Is one bus better than another when it comes to using the roof as I speak of? Is an Eagle better than a MCI, or prevost better than all? I just dont want to be looking for one make of bus, because I like the look, price, location, etc...and then find out later that I should have bought a different bus that had better roof bracing, etc

Thanks in advance...

Brad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:44:01 AM by turbobrat930 » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:56:27 AM »

I don't think any brand of bus was designd to have people walking around on the roof.  Most people that use the roof as an observation deck, build a platform on top of the roof.
   As far as 1 person getting on the roof to install vents, antennas, etc. bo problem as long as you keep your weight mostly on the rivet lines (above framing members). We had our MC-8 ceiling sprayfoamed with 2" of foam. I can walk around anyplace on the roof and not feel any "give", but that is just 1 person.  I would not plan to use my roof as an observation platform.  JMO, YMMV  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:19:42 AM »

Jack, thanks for the reply. After I posted, I located one post speaking of just that..a platform. I think that is what I will do, and then possibly have a access hatch from the inside with a fold up ladder to gain access to the roof. A ladder on the back of a Blue Bird does not look out of place... but IMHO...on the back of a newer style cap on a MCI, Eagle, etc... it would look WAY out of place..
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »

I agree the interior ladder would look much "classier".  I have read of several using the rear emergency roof hatch and adding the fold down ladder.  I remember a very detailed thread on observations decks sometime in the last year here.  That may be the one you found, but if the one you read didn't have a lot of detail on how they built it, then keep searcing because there is one with a lot of "how I did it" content.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

Jack, thanks for the reply. After I posted, I located one post speaking of just that..a platform. I think that is what I will do, and then possibly have a access hatch from the inside with a fold up ladder to gain access to the roof. A ladder on the back of a Blue Bird does not look out of place... but IMHO...on the back of a newer style cap on a MCI, Eagle, etc... it would look WAY out of place..

The ones I have seen made a frame that stood off the roof a few inches and attached to the roof framing members with small post. The deck was covered with aluminum diamond plate. In addition to giving you an observation platform, it helps block the radianat heat from getting to the actual bus roof (similar to the Saudi MCIs).  This helps to keep the bus cooler.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »

I am still in the structural stage.

I have installed a 24" X 24" boat hatch in the roof.  I am going to build  a raised platform, attached to the structural  roof members.  I have seen someone (maybe Gumpy?) that made a unique, folding ladder that pivoted up and folded flat into the ceiling.

Also remember to provide some side fence materials.  Either folding or with mounts that can be filled with fencing when parked.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »

It is Gumpy.  His ladder is a work of art and folds to about a 4 inch thickness when it is stowed against the ceiling.  If you are just getting started, Gumpy's site is a must read.  Their are others of similar merit but none his equal IMHO.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

It is Gumpy.  His ladder is a work of art and folds to about a 4 inch thickness when it is stowed against the ceiling.  If you are just getting started, Gumpy's site is a must read.  Their are others of similar merit but none his equal IMHO.

HTH,

John

In all the old posts... the link to Gumpy's site no longer works.. maybe he will post up and give an updated link...  In the posts that I read, the Gumpy ladder and his hatch are held in high regard... cant wait to see pictures... Brad
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »

HTH,

John

Please...  his head is big enough as it is.  and his site seems to be down. Sad  networking issue probably.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

We put a deck in between the A/C units.  about 1 1/2" alum angle run down both sides and center. tapped so that we could bolt down 3/4" plywood, painted, which is less slippery than diamond plate.  also easier to cut out the vents, skylights, etc.  We didn't want a big hole in the ceiling, so we use an outside folding ladder when necessary.  also keeps others off the roof easier than a permanant ladder on the back which would indeed look ugly.
We mounted our solar panels, antennas and satellite Internet to it, so they can be re-arranged or replaced without redrilling the bus roof.

we haven't gone to nascar or formula 1 lately, so haven't tried it for sitting yet.  

it's also a little icey right now.  Angry Angry

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:31:26 PM by manasst » Logged

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

Many folding ladders have been done, it is time for an elevator. That will get you the BCM centerfold spot.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
cody

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

An elevator would be great but a catapult would be more fun lol.
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »

Many folding ladders have been done, it is time for an elevator. That will get you the BCM centerfold spot.

An elevator?? LOL...now that would be something special... make it look like a old style phone booth..so when it pops out of the roof...you would arrive in style..

I do like the idea of a sprial staircase hidden in a closet... would be kinda unique...  ideas, ideas, ideas!!!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »

Beam me up, Scotty!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »

Of course, if you are going to do an elevator, you might as well take the kitchen and bathroom up with you.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

Of course, if you are going to do an elevator, you might as well take the kitchen and bathroom up with you.

Forget the slide-outs, who's going to be the first with a slide-up?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: