Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 24, 2018, 10:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiators part II  (Read 4485 times)
quantum500

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »

I want to apologize to Nick and all the busnuts for uncivil actions on my part.  I did not take aim at Nick and was not trying to attack him.  I only wanted a unbiased opinion.  Sometimes what you want and what you get is 2 entirely different things.  In the past Nick and everyone else had always treated me well.  I do not want that to change.  Hopefully I can put this behind me as a learning experience.  I will be working on re-coring the radiators through the winter.  If anybody has tips on finding a good deal on cores I would appreciate it.
-Kirt
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »

Hi quantum500:
About getting it re-core....first of all...where are you?

Thanks and take care, Gerald

BTW...this post will get more help in "on topic"

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »

When I first got my bus it ran hot so I took out the rads and took them to Commercial Radiator

One was about 70 percent and one was less than 50 percent open

I don't know if they are a local or national company but the price for new I don't recall but it made me catch my breath however they thought they could recore one and repair one WEEELLLLL to make a long story short they couldn't save the better of the two and ended up recoring both rads.

Total cost was less than 2000 including tax

So a little less than a grand a piece and I have what is the same to  me as new radiators

YMMV

Mel

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

I'm in western colorado.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »

Kirt, Good post. Its nice to see fence mending instead of bridge burning. Good luck with your rads.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

It is nice to see you have worked it out. I'm not totally sure of intent of first post but I have to say that this board has helped me alot and would not want it to be like others I have seen. We are from all different walks of life and have different personalities, that what makes the world go around:) When I have a beef I work it out with them. I am glad for your second post about this. I do not know Nick but have read a lot of his post and believe he is honest.

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:16:16 AM »

I'm in western colorado.

No mention of a city near by in western Colorado.

Any local truck radiator shop can recore your radiator but get 2 or 3 customer references and prices on paper before accepted a contract with good warranty. Local radiator shop prices are usually higher then large radiator companies.

Suggest to call for prices of new and recore at the following links:

Radiator Works

Diesel Radiator for Bus

Active Radiator

Serck Services Denver, Co

Complete Radiators Free Shipping

MAK Board Post on Radiator

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:03:59 AM by Sojourner » Logged

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »

May or may not help but Greyhound in Dallas buys from www.danielradiator.com they have factories in Dallas and Houston.There is a large radiator shop in Denver I forgot the name but somebody should have a name and number for it on this board,the freight is going to be expensive so I would shop local. If you purchase from Daniel contact me off board and I may can help on the price we buy from them in Houston   have a great day
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:48:44 AM »

There have been lots of radiator threads.  I have posted, often, that it is more than worth the money to have your radiator re-cored.  The newer fin technology is said to be good for 20-30% more cooling.

I used Serck/Denver Radiator (http://www.superpages.com/bp/Denver-CO/Serck-Denver-Radiator-L2064286696.htm).  The do not seem to have their own website (apparently relying on the Serck website).  In the old days we alway knew it as just Denver Radiator and they were well respected.  When they became a part of Serck, they still seem to be well respected.

I took my Eagle radiator in, just to have the core rodded.  The tech rubbed his hand over the fins and quickly announced that the fins were loose on the tubes.  So, even if they look good (mine looked very good), they may not be.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »

Good advice JIM when a radiator starts to scale as some call it and the fins become loose in reality it is nothing but rot and is not going to last long in service.keep you radiator clean on the outside and it will extend the life of the radiator by years   

have a great day
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »

Just another reason to avoid the misters in my opinion.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

I had Serek/Denver Radiator in Denver recore the radiator in my 05. This was 5 or 6 years ago they did an good job I don't remember the price. If I remember rite they added one more row of tubes than stock.  It cools my Big Cam 400and auto just fine.

Good luck Wayne
BUR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:01:08 PM »

I just re-cored the radiator in my Prevost. I called detroitradiatorcorp.com  The people there knew exactly
what radiator I had and even spouted out the number of it. I called mid day and they built it the next day
and shipped it. The price for a eight row core was  $1400 plus $160 for shipping. I live in Washington state
your shipping might be a little cheaper. BTW I re-cored it myself, they furnish the bolts and gaskets.    BUR

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »

Thanks for all the great replies I haven't had time to check out the leads on cores.  I will next week.  I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: