Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical File On Tips  (Read 25436 times)
Dallas

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »

Richard,
I don't have a spell check anywhere on this board.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 02:51:18 PM »

Richard thanks! I did and we'll see what happens. As for the cookies? I did exactly as you said and even remembered to click apply and ok afterwards but it still goes back to medium without any changes. I am expereincing this same thing on another web site that tells me my Browser's cookies are not enabled! What to do?

Ace
Ace, you lost me. Must have been someone else talking about cookies and medium.

Check on the post from Steve regarding cookies. I did using the first directions he gave and finally found something that unlocked me so that I can now open the sites at home as of this minute.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 02:54:50 PM »

Please understand that I am a newbie at this and have a lot to learn and any assistance or advice from anybody is sincerely appreciated.
My problem at home is that my computer will not allow me to sign on to the test board set up for starting this Tips board. I could get on for awhile but now I get a message about checking cookie settings. Apparently Phil had similar problems and had to utilize two browsers to resolve the problem. I am going to try that tonight to see if it helps.

The following info will help you adjust your cookie settings... If you already know about this, then this post may help others with a similar problem...

If your home computer is giving you a COOKIE ERROR MESSAGE, then to correct or access your cookie settings [assuming you are using IE], then go to your CONTROL PANEL, then choose INTERNET OPTIONS, then goto the PRIVACY TAB, then choose ADVANCE SETTINGS, here you will be able to adjust how your browser [IE] deals with cookie handling...

Hope this helps,

Steve
Using this procedure I got to a new section of tools for me and after poling around for a few minutes I finally found something that indicated the two sites listed that I could not get into. I deleted the sites and wallaha, I now have access that is not blocked. Thanks much for the tip.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Ace

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 03:11:04 PM »

Richard,yes I did exactly what Steve was saying to do and on one home pc I have it works as stated but on the other pc I normally use, it will NOT change no matter what I do!  Sad

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »

Richard,
I don't have a spell check anywhere on this board.

Go to tips on posting to the board. Last item is a great spell checker and it is free. Works great for me at work and at home. I need to find out if it works for others as well.
Richard

http://www.iespell.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:42:50 AM by Driving MissLazy » Logged

Dallas

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »

Thanks Richard,
I'll have to see if it'll work with Firefox in W2K
Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 03:37:14 PM »

Richard,yes I did exactly what Steve was saying to do and on one home pc I have it works as stated but on the other pc I normally use, it will NOT change no matter what I do!  Sad

Ace
Maybe you can get Steve on the line to walk you through it. I just had another problem here at home. Tried to open up another board and got kicked off. According to Phil he had to open a new browser. I have the address (foxfire) but really do not know how to set it up. I hate being a dummy!
Richard

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »

Hi all,

Installing firefox is not as bad as it might seem!

from the URL: http://www.getfirefox.com/

Just click on the download link.

within Microsoft IE, you can choose to either download, or - I think - "Run".  If you choose run, it will immediately begin the install.

Choose all the default options.  It only will take about 2 - 3 minutes to install.

I would let it choose to import bookmarks and settings from I.E.

That is it.   Smiley

Let me know if there are any problems.

Dummy?!  That is how I feel listening to all you guys know about fixing buses!  And, it's my hobby!!!

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Dallas

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »

Hi all,

Installing firefox is not as bad as it might seem!

from the URL: http://http://www.getfirefox.com/

Just click on the download link.

within Microsoft IE, you can choose to either download, or - I think - "Run".  If you choose run, it will immediately begin the install.

Choose all the default options.  It only will take about 2 - 3 minutes to install.

I would let it choose to import bookmarks and settings from I.E.

That is it.   Smiley

Let me know if there are any problems.

Dummy?!  That is how I feel listening to all you guys know about fixing buses!  And, it's my hobby!!!

Best Regards, Phil

Phil,
I just PM'd Richard and told him the same thing.
For everyone else, Firefox is a little different than IE, but once you get use to it, it works much more smoothly.
Dallas
El-Sonador

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »

Fire Fox is an excellent Browser...

Don't forget to go back to the Fire Fox site after you get the main program loaded and check out some of their Add-Ons...

Like ADD-BLOCKER... can you imagine being able to surf the net and automatically stop any web site from showing you their adds... it also works for scripts and active-X controls. This is very useful in blocking third party advertisers that embed their adds in other web sites. You can use a wild card
  • to block anything coming from those pesky addware supply sites even if it is embedded in a Frame or I-Frame.

Another useful ADD-ON is their TABS, this will allow you to surf many sites at the same time and is a better Bookmarking tool than IEs "Favourites"

Glad you got sorted out Richard...

If you need any further help, just let me know....

Steve
Ace

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »

Well guys, I just downloaded Firewfox and WOW was that easy! It appears to be the same as IE but it has it's differences. If nothing else, it's new and something to full around with!
Took about 2.5 minutes with cable hookup!

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »

Well guys, I just downloaded Foxfire and WOW was that easy! It appears to be the same as IE but it has it's differences. If nothing else, it's new and something to full around with!

Ace
I also downloaded Foxfire last night and what a nightmare!

I have several hundred favorites and they were in no sort of order and I could not find a way to sort them in any fashion. When I finally found the link to this page, I got a pop up that said Windows could not identify the program that would open it. I guessed it was IE and clicked the box to always use that program to open the file. It did open, but when I closed it and tried to open it and several others, I kept getting the annoying and time consuming pop up. And in some cases I really had no idea what program to use.

I then tried to open my U-HAUL boards and never could get them open. Ended up with nothing but blank screens on all four boards.

In desperation I then decided to delete the program from my computer. The delete went OK, but I still had the same problem with trying to open any Favorites.

Fortunately my Windows software has a built in restore feature and I was able to restore it to a couple of days earlier and now everything is back to normal, I think.

In conclusion, my experience was exactly opposite Ace's and I would caution anybody considering making the switch be sure they have a Restore feature available to return the computer to an earlier date.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:13:51 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Dallas

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 02:02:06 PM »

Richard,
I think there is a bigger problem with your computer than a simple fix from me or a better one from the experts like Phil or Steve.
Firefox should have found your IE favourites and put them in the proper folders, just in alphabetic order. Most everything should have worked better, just had the controls in different places.
what AV are you running? Is it up to date? Something is going on there that I can't explain and would have to have the computer in front of me to fix, but there is Something Wrong!
I hope Phil or Steve can help.
Dallas

Well guys, I just downloaded Foxfire and WOW was that easy! It appears to be the same as IE but it has it's differences. If nothing else, it's new and something to full around with!

Ace
I also downloaded Foxfire last night and what a nightmare!

I have several hundred favorites and they were in no sort of order and I could not find a way to sort them in any fashion. When I finally found the link to this page, I got a pop up that said Windows could not identify the program that would open it. I guessed it was IE and clicked the box to always use that program to open the file. It did open, but when I closed it and tried to open it and several others, I kept getting the annoying and time consuming pop up. And in some cases I really had no idea what program to use.

I then tried to open my U-HAUL boards and never could get them open. Ended up with nothing but blank screens on all four boards.

In desperation I then decided to delete the program from my computer. The delete went OK, but I still had the same problem with trying to open any Favorites.

Fortunately my Windows software has a built in restore feature and I was able to restore it to a couple of days earlier and now everything is back to normal, I think.

In conclusion, my experience was exactly opposite Ace's and I would caution anybody considering making the switch be sure they have a Restore feature available to return the computer to an earlier date.

Richard
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 04:39:20 PM »

I am using Norton AV. I find that if I actually log out of one board I can then log in to another. Guess I will have to live with it for now.
Richard
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:14:18 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

El-Sonador

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 04:57:37 AM »

I am using Norton AV. I find that if I actually log out of one board I can then log in to another. Guess I will have to live with it for now.
Richard

Hi Richard...

(((Sorry for the delay in responding... been on the road - or should I say In-the-Air.)))

Sounds like you may have multi-isues... Like Phil said, it is hard to attempt a fix without us having your computer.

But lets try anyways...

We just got your cookie situation sorted out... is that still ok for you?
What is the Status of all your security programs... Anti-Virus, Firewall, etc?
Were you or are you running third party Tool Bars or Hot Bars?
Do you have any weather related programs running?
When was the last time to did a Disk Clean-up and Defrag your hard drive?
When was the last time you cleaned out your History, Cookie, Cache, etc?
Do you have a Anti-Spyware and Anti-Addware programs?

Sometimes in order to proceed, we need to go back and eliminate any possible problem variables...
big job to do remotely, how computer savy are you to attempt the above basic things on your own?

Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:04:27 AM by El-Sonador » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: