Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 05:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical File On Tips  (Read 23766 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:48:51 AM »

I have agreed to help Phil get a new section started to help newbies and any others that might want to use it.

Although I have done quite a bit of exploring as to how the board works, I really need your help to try and make it as complete as possible.

Any ideas you might have have to make this more useful or and especially any tips you have to do something is solicited.

I know that a lot of you are much more computer savvy than I am and would appreciate you posting under this thread anything special that you have learned or know about.
Thanks in advance,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:05:34 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »

Richard,

The first thing that comes to mind,

Catagorize each subject by priority!  And you really can't go wrong that way!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Don't worry, you will do a Great Job!

Nick Badame-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:27:04 AM »

Richard, it may already be this way, but if not, I'd suggest that when a person posts a "tip", that it would not be possible for someone to post a reply on the same thread,thereby creating a discussion on the merits of the "tip".
Just let 'em post the tip without anyone else adding a bunch of crap on why it won't work...............
respectlly submitted, Chuck Lott

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:01:19 AM »

would appreciate you posting under this thread anything special that you have learned or know about.

Number ONE: Make your Subject Lines Descriptive.

Don't post "Tips 'N Tricks",  Huh
Instead, post "Tips 'N Tricks for using the forum"  Cool

Just using this thread as an example/scapegoat. Not to pick on this one, but I'm sure you see what I mean.

Don't: "I need help"  Huh
Do: "I need help with brake adjustment"  Cool
Do: "I'm lost in the Desert! Guide me out!"  Cool

Don't: "I'm Confused"  Huh
Do: "Wire size for Air Conditioners?"  Cool
Do: "How should I insulate?"  Cool

Don't: "Tires"  Huh
Do: "Which tires should I choose, Micherubs or Heinetubes"  Cool
Do: "Steer tires are cupping!"  Cool
Do: "Can I use recaps on tags?"  Cool

Sorry to sound so anal, but aside from the big benefit of getting answers to your question, the future value is a way to search the archives for information related to your search.
El-Sonador

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »

I have agreed to help Phil get a new section started to help newbies and any others that might want to use it.

Although I have done quite a bit of exploring as to how the board works, I really need your help to try and make it as complete as possible.

Any ideas you might have to make this more useful or and especially any tips you have to do something is solicited.

I know that a lot of you are much more computer savvy than I am and would appreciate you posting under this thread anything special that you have learned or know about.
Thanks in advance,
Richard

Hey Richard...

In the larger scheme of things, You may wish to think "A LEVEL UP"

BBs are made up of CATEGORIES, FORUMS, TOPICS and then finally REPLIES

The way the board is set up right now, is that everything is "Dumped" into one forum and with TOPICS being used to orginize the board...

If you were to create a number of main CATEGORIES with numerous related FORUMS, this would make this BB a better, clearer and a more effective board for both management functions and a better board for its members.

You will have greater control over its use and this will give you far many more options such as...Movement of topics posted in the wrong section...
Restricting and/or allowing certain member classes to view or not to view certain CATEGORIES or FORUMS. This you may find useful should you wish a GUEST to view only the WELCOME/HELP/RULES/INTRODUCTION/BOARD INSTRUCTION sections. Once a registered member, the main areas will then become visible [this is very useful as a security tool.]
Further, should you wish to proceed with a paying section, such as BUY/SELL/TRADE section, then this could be visible only to those that have paid.

Thinking a Level-Up would give ADMINs & MODs many more added controls of the entire board.

Just a thought...

Steve

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 07:27:45 AM »

Hey Richard...

----->cut
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the input.  That is indeed a solid suggestion for a BBS layout.  There is already setup "in test" a separate discussion area for tips 'n tricks, board help, etc..  It is ready to be turned on when Richard gives the OK.

At the same time though, there is a majority of members who like the all-in-one approach - including MAK.  Not saying it would never change - or become more necessary as the board continues to grow - but that is why it is organized this way. 

Please keep the suggestions and interest coming.  We do listen! 

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »

[quote author=El-Sonador link=topic=222.msg2057#msg2057
Hey Richard...

BBs are made up of CATEGORIES, FORUMS, TOPICS and then finally REPLIES

The way the board is set up right now, is that everything is "Dumped" into one forum and with TOPICS being used to organize the board...

If you were to create a number of main CATEGORIES with numerous related FORUMS, this would make this BB a better, clearer and a more effective board for both management functions and a better board for its members.

You will have greater control over its use and this will give you far many more options such as...Movement of topics posted in the wrong section...
Restricting and/or allowing certain member classes to view or not to view certain CATEGORIES or FORUMS. This you may find useful should you wish a GUEST to view only the WELCOME/HELP/RULES/INTRODUCTION/BOARD INSTRUCTION sections. Once a registered member, the main areas will then become visible [this is very useful as a security tool.]
Further, should you wish to proceed with a paying section, such as BUY/SELL/TRADE section, then this could be visible only to those that have paid.
Thinking a Level-Up would give ADMINs & MODs many more added controls of the entire board.
Just a thought...
Steve
[/quote]

Steve, thanks for your thoughts. I think I have started something like you are suggesting. Let me know what you think and if you possibly have a layout of some kind you could post I would be glad to try and work it in.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but what are the meanings of the icons in the second column? I tried using 'search' to no avail. Don't think I'm missing anything by not knowing, but I don't know...wait a minute, was that a 'catch 22?'
Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 04:35:43 AM »

Hi Dale,

The icons in the second column are "message icons".  You can change them in your post - right under the "subject" field.

Look at the next dropdown box.

There is standard,
"Thumbs up"  - good idea
"Thumbs down" - bad idea
"exclamation"
"lamp"
etc.. 

So, they are at the message writers discretion to attach to their message.

Hope this helps,
Phil

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »

In order to keep this section from getting to long, I will start deleting posts as I evaluate them for inclusion in this board.

In the meantime keep the tips coming and I will use every one  that I possibly can.
Thanks, Richard

BJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »

Ok. downloaded the picture and pushed post. then I looked for the picture. Nothing. does it take a while to show up? followed all your directions. If it doesn't show up in a few minutes should I try it again? don't want 15 pictures of the bus...
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:16:05 AM »

BJ,

No it should happen instantly!

What was your last screen, what did it say?

let me know

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
El-Sonador

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 04:43:17 AM »

In order to keep this section from getting to long, I will start deleting posts as I evaluate them for inclusion in this board.

In the meantime keep the tips coming and I will use every one that I possibly can.
Thanks, Richard

My post seems to be missing here - the one you asked for my help with...

Have you moved it someplace else?

Steve
Ace

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:19:51 AM »

Still up in the air about this site and how it works! Everytime I read a thread and immediatley go back to the list of un read threads, I either get NONE or I get many more which are usually old and already viewed! Heck sometimes it gives me the WHOLE list to search thru again!
Yes it has some nice features (maybe TOO many)  but I find it way too time consuming IMHO! Sorry!  Undecided

Ace
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 06:13:54 AM »

Ok. downloaded the picture and pushed post. then I looked for the picture. Nothing. does it take a while to show up? followed all your directions. If it doesn't show up in a few minutes should I try it again? don't want 15 pictures of the bus...

BJ, I don't see your post at all.  No picture, no post. 

Do you get any errors?  It should be at the end of the topic "post your bus ..." 

Can you post it to this thread for test?

We should at least be seeing your post - without hte picture.

Hope this helps, Phil
testing post picture..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: