Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:02:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical File On Tips  (Read 23653 times)
El-Sonador

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 06:26:40 AM »

Hey Richard....

Did you delete my post here about recomendations for board layout that you asked me to create or did you move it someplace else so I and other members would first have the oportunity to save that info or retain it here as a historical record of those that have contributed to this board.

I spent a lot of time and effort into creating your request for that information and I notice that suggestions from other members remain.

Could you please advise where my post is...? ? ?

Thanks

Steve

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 06:32:16 AM »

Still up in the air about this site and how it works! Every time I read a thread and immediately go back to the list of un read threads, I either get NONE or I get many more which are usually old and already viewed! Heck sometimes it gives me the WHOLE list to search thru again!
Yes it has some nice features (maybe TOO many)  but I find it way too time consuming IMHO! Sorry!  Undecided

Ace
Ace, I understand your frustration! I am still trying to find the answer to your dilemma.

That is the purpose of this section to try and help users find the easier way to use the board. And it has been difficult to learn all the quirks of a new board. I know I have had a difficult time and that is why Phil suggested this Help section.

If all the members will post here what they have learned either by accident or otherwise, we will try and consolidate them, format them in a standard configuration and make them a permanent part of the help board.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 07:31:02 AM »

Hey Richard....

Did you delete my post here about recomendations for board layout that you asked me to create or did you move it someplace else so I and other members would first have the oportunity to save that info or retain it here as a historical record of those that have contributed to this board.

I spent a lot of time and effort into creating your request for that information and I notice that suggestions from other members remain.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, I have not yet deleted anything purposely from the board and that is why I posted the notice that I would eventually do this.

When I do this I plan on establishing a new subject for storing old posts. The goal of the board is of course to be able to go back to an archive and recover anything posted. This will keep this portion of the board somewhat uncluttered, but will retain everything for posterity.

I did have some serious computer problems the past several days and still am unable to open the test board and main board at home. I have tried to get this resolved, but have been unsuccessful so far, and have to do everything at the office. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:33:50 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
El-Sonador

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »

Hey Richard....

Did you delete my post here about recommendations for board layout that you asked me to create or did you move it someplace else so I and other members would first have the opportunity to save that info or retain it here as a historical record of those that have contributed to this board.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, I have not yet deleted anything purposely from the board and that is why I posted the notice that I would eventually do this.

When I do this I plan on establishing a new subject for storing old posts. The goal of the board is of course to be able to go back to an archive and recover anything posted. This will keep this portion of the board somewhat uncluttered, but will retain everything for posterity.

I did have some serious computer problems the past several days and still am unable to open the test board and main board at home. I have tried to get this resolved, but have been unsuccessful so far, and have to do everything at the office.

OK... I guess...? ? ?

But I seem to be missing a number of my other post also, almost all related to helping out with board. One had to do with a on-line source for picture resizing, I see you kept the one that must be downloaded by a member for it to work, but the one I suggested was an on-line version for those members that could not, or did not want to have to download anything first. This prohibits members from having a choice.

I was also asked [by way of a private message] to remove my photos [which I did] For your info, and had the board took the time to check, they would of noticed that all my photos were stored on my own sever and not up-loaded to the board, therefore even any bandwidth associated with viewing any of my photos were being charged to my server and not the boards also.

I don't know if other members post are "missing", or they have been asked to curtail their posting or have had their post arbitrarily deleted or if I am being singled out in some way...

Hope you can "restore" all this as it could reflect how the board treats some of its members.

If there is anything I can do to help with your problem, please don't hesitate to ask...

Steve
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

OK... I guess...? ? ?

But I seem to be missing a number of my other post also, almost all related to helping out with board. One had to do with a on-line source for picture resizing, I see you kept the one that must be downloaded by a member for it to work, but the one I suggested was an on-line version for those members that could not, or did not want to have to download anything first. This prohibits members from having a choice.

I was also asked [by way of a private message] to remove my photos [which I did] For your info, and had the board took the time to check, they would of noticed that all my photos were stored on my own sever and not up-loaded to the board, therefore even any bandwidth associated with viewing any of my photos were being charged to my server and not the boards also.

I don't know if other members post are "missing", or they have been asked to curtail their posting or have had their post arbitrarily deleted or if I am being singled out in some way...

Hope you can "restore" all this as it could reflect how the board treats some of its members.

If there is anything I can do to help with your problem, please don't hesitate to ask...

Steve
Definitely you are not being singled out for any reason that I am aware of.  Your posts to me at least have seemed very well thought out and expressed. 

Please understand that I am a newbie at this and have a lot to learn and any assistance or advice from anybody is sincerely appreciated.

My problem at home is that my computer will not allow me to sign on to the test board set up for starting this Tips board. I could get on for awhile but now I get a message about checking cookie settings. Apparently Phil had similar problems and had to utilize two browsers to resolve the problem. I am going to try that tonight to see if it helps.

El-Sonador

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 10:01:07 AM »

Please understand that I am a newbie at this and have a lot to learn and any assistance or advice from anybody is sincerely appreciated.
My problem at home is that my computer will not allow me to sign on to the test board set up for starting this Tips board. I could get on for awhile but now I get a message about checking cookie settings. Apparently Phil had similar problems and had to utilize two browsers to resolve the problem. I am going to try that tonight to see if it helps.

The following info will help you adjust your cookie settings... If you already know about this, then this post may help others with a similar problem...

If your home computer is giving you a COOKIE ERROR MESSAGE, then to correct or access your cookie settings [assuming you are using IE], then go to your CONTROL PANEL, then choose INTERNET OPTIONS, then goto the PRIVACY TAB, then choose ADVANCE SETTINGS, here you will be able to adjust how your browser [IE] deals with cookie handling...

When you get there, I would suggest that you check the box that says... OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC COOKIE HANDLING, Then check off ACCEPT FIRST PARTY COOKIES and ACCEPT THIRD PARTY COOKIES... also check off the box below that says... ALLWAYS ALLOW SESSION COOKIES... Don't forget to hit OK and then hit APPLY after you make any changes here... or they won't take effect.

This will give you max cookie handling capabilities, if this works, then you can always re-adjust these settings to give you a level of protection against unwanted cookies from other sites without dis-allowing this board from giving or excepting cookies from you...

IF.... it is a cookie handling problem you have, then this will solve it

Hope this helps,

Steve
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:57:45 PM by El-Sonador » Logged
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »

The following info will help you adjust your cookie settings... If you already know about this, then this post may help others with a similar problem...

If your home computer is giving you a COOKIE ERROR MESSAGE, then to correct or access your cookie settings [assuming you are using IE], then go to your CONTROL PANEL, then choose INTERNET OPTIONS, then goto the PRIVACY TAB, then choose ADVANCE SETTINGS, here you will be able to adjust how your browser [IE] deals with cookie handling...

Hope this helps,

Steve

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:18:06 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

----->cut

Steve
Steve,

Please go easy on the volunteers!   Richard is really learning, and putting in a lot of good effort on this.  And that effort is already proving to be a help to the members.

We have had 0 discussions about singling anyone out.  No time for that, and that kind of stuff doesn't sit well with me, or any of the other volunteers. 

Nobody that I know of has been "curtailed", other than a couple of advertisers and a minor dispute a month or so back, and all was resolved. 

Help posts are the topics being edited and moved.  So there is risk in something being lost.  No other posts are being moved at the moment, so I wouldn't  suspect issues with non-"help" posts. 

You do spend a good amount of time in constructing your posts, so I understand it is frustrating if something wrong happens.  Your suggestion of an online editor was a good one, I remember it.  If it's locatable, we will find it.  The same with other posts.  However, there is nothing going on  behind the scenes to hurt, or hold back anyone.  Just a bunch of volunteer bus nuts trying to help fellow-enthusiasts.

Thank you,
Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
El-Sonador

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »

Steve, I assume (and that could be a big mistake) that going to Tools, Internet Options and Advanced gets me to the same place. Unfortunately I have been there several times, but I really do not understand what all the selections and settings are all about.
Richard

You are correct - it is just another way to get to the same place.

When you get there, I would suggest that you check the box that says... OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC COOKIE HANDLING, Then check off ACCEPT FIRST PARTY COOKIES and ACCEPT THIRD PARTY COOKIES... also check off the box below that says... ALLWAYS ALLOW SESSION COOKIES... Don't forget to hit OK and then hit APPLY after you make any changes here... or they won't take effect.

This will give you max cookie handling capabilities, if this works, then you can always re-adjust these settings to give you a level of protection against unwanted cookies from other sites without dis-allowing this board from giving or excepting cookies from you...

IF.... it is a cookie handling problem you have, then this will solve it, if not then check your board access username & passwords into your admin or Mod section... this will be different than your member log in info...

Steve
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 10:58:12 AM »

Still up in the air about this site and how it works! Every time I read a thread and immediately go back to the list of un read threads, I either get NONE or I get many more which are usually old and already viewed! Heck sometimes it gives me the WHOLE list to search thru again!
Yes it has some nice features (maybe TOO many)  but I find it way too time consuming IMHO! Sorry!  Undecided

Ace
Ace, I understand your frustration! I am still trying to find the answer to your dilemma.

That is the purpose of this section to try and help users find the easier way to use the board. And it has been difficult to learn all the quirks of a new board. I know I have had a difficult time and that is why Phil suggested this Help section.

If all the members will post here what they have learned either by accident or otherwise, we will try and consolidate them, format them in a standard configuration and make them a permanent part of the help board.
Richard

Ace, select profile, then select Look and Layout Preferences, then near bottom click on return to topics after posting by default, then at bottom click on change profile.
See if this is the solution.
Richard

El-Sonador

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 11:02:27 AM »

Steve,

Please go easy on the volunteers! Richard is really learning, and putting in a lot of good effort on this. And that effort is already proving to be a help to the members.

We have had 0 discussions about singling anyone out. No time for that, and that kind of stuff doesn't sit well with me, or any of the other volunteers.

Nobody that I know of has been "curtailed", other than a couple of advertisers and a minor dispute a month or so back, and all was resolved.

Help posts are the topics being edited and moved. So there is risk in something being lost. No other posts are being moved at the moment, so I wouldn't suspect issues with non-"help" posts.

You do spend a good amount of time in constructing your posts, so I understand it is frustrating if something wrong happens. Your suggestion of an online editor was a good one, I remember it. If it's locatable, we will find it. The same with other posts. However, there is nothing going on behind the scenes to hurt, or hold back anyone. Just a bunch of volunteer bus nuts trying to help fellow-enthusiasts.

Thank you,
Phil

Hey Phil...

I don't know what happened here on the board a few months back, I wasn't on-line then.

I'm NOT a mechanic type, so it is hard for me to offer any valid assistance in that area of this board. But I do know a lot about running a PHPBB, so I thought that I could repay the help I recieved by offering suggestions in better setting up and handling board functions instead. I didn't mean to be hard on the help, and you are right that is is frustrating to lose a lot of my post here for what ever reason.

If your team needs help with something, and I can help, then please feel free to call on me anytime...

Steve

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 11:05:28 AM »

Steve, I assume (and that could be a big mistake) that going to Tools, Internet Options and Advanced gets me to the same place. Unfortunately I have been there several times, but I really do not understand what all the selections and settings are all about.
Richard

You are correct - it is just another way to get to the same place.

When you get there, I would suggest that you check the box that says... OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC COOKIE HANDLING, Then check off ACCEPT FIRST PARTY COOKIES and ACCEPT THIRD PARTY COOKIES... also check off the box below that says... ALWAYS ALLOW SESSION COOKIES... Don't forget to hit OK and then hit APPLY after you make any changes here... or they won't take effect.

IF.... it is a cookie handling problem you have, then this will solve it, if not then check your board access user name & passwords into your admin or Mod section... this will be different than your member log in info...

Steve
Steve, I just did some more hunting and the two areas are not really the same. You found an entirely new area for me to try. Thanks.
Richard

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 11:13:48 AM »

Has anyone tried the new spell check? If so how does it work? Should we keep the tip posted?
Richard

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

-----> cut
If your team needs help with something, and I can help, then please feel free to call on me anytime...

Hi Steve,

I'll take you up on that offer.   Grin

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Ace

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »

Richard thanks! I did and we'll see what happens. As for the cookies? I did exactly as you said and even remembered to click apply and ok afterwards but it still goes back to medium without any changes. I am expereincing this same thing on another web site that tells me my Browser's cookies are not enabled! What to do?

Ace
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: