Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 10:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wheel sizes...differences?  (Read 2702 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »

Most all trucks are now 22.5 rubber. About the only trucks made with 24.5 rubber are owner-operators that already have 24.5's. Even off road loggers types are using 22.5.  I'd like to switch my truck from the 11R24.5's but have 28" diameter fuel tanks that are already too low to the ground.  22.5's are available from 7.5" to 12" wide, and from 235mm to 445mm in metric.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »

Luvr,

I can easily believe all that you said and you carry weight with me and others.  I have heard that 22.5 was difficult for many years.  One of my tire guys told me that 24.5 used to be the most popular but that in recent years the 22.5 and metric have taken that over.  He said prices were about the same at his shop, at least.  So I can see where it started, it just isn't true anymore.  Thank you for taking the time.

Les Schwab has a superb rep here but I don't buy his house brand even though it is a good tire.  I buy Toyo or Mich. and get a national warranty.  His service is exceptional, as you must know, but your's is the common opinion.

I see Dick Kaiser every couple of weeks and most enjoy visiting with his daughter(younger than my daughters) Sharon(?).  Bad with names and it isn't anything new.  His rep is solid throughout the area.  He does a lot of work for Marathon and Country Coach.

You know lots of good people Luvr.  Give a holler next time you get to town.  I would like to stop down at Dicks while you are there and see your bus.

Have a nice holiday,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »

All -

I think the idea/rumor/urban legend of 12R22.5s being hard to find a truck stops comes from the early '70s, when the charter, tour & line-haul buses first began running this size.

At that time, 24.5s were the most common truck tire rim size, so naturally were abundantly stocked at most shops.

Obviously that has changed in the ensuing 30+ years.  And, with the improvement in tire technology over the same period, that leads to:

Gary hitting the nail right on the head as a reason for the smaller tires on the 18-wheelers: they weigh less, which means the truck can haul more weight, which equals more revenue per load.  Follow the money!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »

Gary,

I agree with JE, your answer makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder why there ever was a 24.5?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: