Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:34:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ??what to look for in???  (Read 6769 times)
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »

what things to check out when purchasing a shell?Huh correct process in kickinng tires etc. Huh
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »

What I learned the first time I bought a shell or project bus and would absolutely do the second time is to just bite the $bullet$ and hire out a professional coach mechanic versed in exactly what you are looking at...pay him the $300 or $400 bucks and just tell him to take all day and check for EVERYTHING!   Saves lots of grief in the end.

I bought my '74 Crown 10-wheeler practically sight unseen.  Just a casual 20 minute look-see underneath, then a 30 minute test drive with the seller along.  At the time I had a hunch I was buying an absolute gem (I was) but just hunches don't work all the time.  Actually I had no clue, but lucked out big time with my Crown.  HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:51 AM »

i allready cn buy cars & trucks (gas & diesel) (4wheel or 18 wheel) justwhant to knowthediff I don't trust mechanics anymore especially diesel.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »

i allready cn buy cars & trucks (gas & diesel) (4wheel or 18 wheel) justwhant to knowthediff I don't trust mechanics anymore especially diesel.
[/b]
Well that said just buy away! Sometimes it's just hard for us to deal with a clown too!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »

Circusboy, unless you are an excellent diesel bus mechanic yourself then I really don't think you need a bus.  They often need work done on them that a mechanic needs to do and since you don't trust them you would be required to do it yourself. These engines are very different than a truck diesel engine and you can't just do it yourself without knowledge or guidance.  There are many honest and good diesel mechanics out there that know engines and buses and I know this because I am married to one.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
cody

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »

Sometimes it's just hard for us to deal with a clown too!
Something about that sounds funny lol.  (sorry, I couldn't resist)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »

Sometimes it's just hard for us to deal with a clown too!
Something about that sounds funny lol.  (sorry, I couldn't resist)

What? a mechanic can't be serious ?  And can't we be able to work on things without being distrusted by someone who's biggest accomplishment all day is clowning around? 

OK Cody, Dallas, Bubbagal & you others who know me! No silly comments either! At least I don't wear make up!  Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »

I have a very analytical mind. I can fix darn near anything. 9take pictures labeling & bagging everything.) I worked in a restoration shop fora year doing ground up "frame off work on vwbugs." Kind of resent the thinking that clowns are incompetent. Roll Eyes Tongue Cry Undecided Grin Angry Wink Cool anyhow it's just another thing 2 conquer.I own plenty of tools that all have a storytotell. not just holding space.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 08:11:18 AM »

I suggest that you pick up a bus repair manual (any bus, doesn't matter) and study it cover to cover. 

Then spend some time hanging around any heavy equipment shop (trucks, bulldozers, buses, boats etc., doesn't matter).

Then read the archives of this and the BNO board end to end.

Then just shut up and listen for about three years.

MCI's are not just big VW's
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:13:18 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:17:51 AM »

I suggest that you pick up a bus repair manual (any bus, doesn't matter) and study it cover to cover. 

Then spend some time hanging around any heavy equipment shop (trucks, bulldozers, buses, boats etc., doesn't matter).

Then read the archives of this and the BNO board end to end.

Then just shut up and listen for about three years.

MCI's are not just big VW's

Amen! I agree "lighten up", listen, learn, and then learn some more! Or since you already know so much maybe you should go buy a VW BUS!!!   "in other words DUMP the $hit for brains mentality!"
FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin

"ya know sometimes it best to keep yo mouth shut, and let folks think ya a fool. Than to open it and remove all doubt!"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:21:43 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »

Yep, looks like he is in a Catch 22.  The best answers to his question of "things to look for when purchasing a shell" are going to come from a mechanics, and he doesn't trust them.  I guess a lot of you can save your time posting responses.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:30:29 AM »

Really Circusboy I can't believe you actually got on this board and asked such a question , and then when these experienced guys try to help you , you insult them!! What kind of help do you excpect? A little respect goes a long way. They have helped me immensely and I have been working on different things for years, doesn't mean that I have any of the answers I may need, the learning process never stops. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Have Fun!!
Grant
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

that's y I asked. I don't trust diesel mechanics because of my exp .ended up paying $4500 4 a simple (quoted @ $1,200 6.2 swap) (they kept my coreon to of dropping original repacement )engine swap. took 32 days living in storage area where i had my tt waiting. I almost lost everything & lost many opportunities while waiting. then after that still having probs with oil leak & light smoke in a "new"rebuild. so if posible nobody will ever turn a wrench on anything I own. then on top of that the tow truck driver bent thedriveshsft & the mech lied (buddy buddy) & said t came that way. long story cut short $2,500 rebuild $1,200 swap cost me nearly 12 grand,for what Icould have done in a wek onmy own with what most woukd call limited tool set (300 lbs of tools) I could have boughtcherrybpicker etc & stsyed on site &ntask &ndone this not 2 mention farming out stuff 2machineshop.
don't equate clown with incompetent .
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

Well, I wouldn't trust every diesel mechanic out there either, especially the ones who work on light trucks.  Like everything else, you have to be careful who you do business with.
If you read the archives here, you will find that everyone has recommended getting checked out by a competent BUS mechanic, not a truck shop, heavy or light.

Further, when you get to the point of actually considering a bus, there are many folks here who will gladly refer you to a competent shop close by.  It's not unheard of here for some members to drive a couple of hundred miles to help you look, but not if you piss everybody off by asking for advice and then belittling it.

To partially answer your original question, there are hundreds if not thousands of things to look at in a bus (and many more in a bus conversion), the diesel engine among the least of them.

Many of these things are model specific, so no help until you narrow it down.

So, the short list:

1. Start the engine (from cold).  Minimal smoke after 5 minutes is good.

2. Site down both sides. No wrinkles, no bends, no bulges. (A straight bus in the business parlance)

3. Let it idle for 30 minutes or so (This is the last time you will ever do that!) while you check lights, gauges, cleanliness, paint, and anything else you can think of. Look underneath for any kind of leaks, front to back. Don't forget to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to stress the hydraulics.

4. Drive it! At least 50 miles, preferably 100. Expect to pay for the fuel if you don't buy it. Make sure it shifts smoothly, tracks straight, no shimmy or vibration. Brakes should feel firm and smooth  Operate the brakes a lot at low speed as in city driving, make sure the compressor keeps up with the demand.

5. When you get back to the lot, shut it down and check again for leaks, the air pressure should hold for 30 minutes or so (minimum).

6. If you like it, buy it.

7. Take it to a bus mechanic, he can tell you how bad you screwed up and what it's going to cost.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »

that's y I asked. I don't trust diesel mechanics because of my exp .ended up paying $4500 4 a simple (quoted @ $1,200 6.2 swap) (they kept my coreon to of dropping original repacement )engine swap. took 32 days living in storage area where i had my tt waiting. I almost lost everything & lost many opportunities while waiting. then after that still having probs with oil leak & light smoke in a "new"rebuild. so if posible nobody will ever turn a wrench on anything I own. then on top of that the tow truck driver bent thedriveshsft & the mech lied (buddy buddy) & said t came that way. long story cut short $2,500 rebuild $1,200 swap cost me nearly 12 grand,for what Icould have done in a wek onmy own with what most woukd call limited tool set (300 lbs of tools) I could have boughtcherrybpicker etc & stsyed on site &ntask &ndone this not 2 mention farming out stuff 2machineshop.
don't equate clown with incompetent .

Just because YOU were incompetent enough THAT time not to check the mechanic out better, does not mean we are all crooks as you indicate with the way you said it! Also If you could and can do so much better and cheaper why don't you start your own shop and have clowns coming to you and showing how much you are over charging because they don't understand the business world that requires you to make a reasonable profit in order to pay unseen overhead like rent/mortgage on shop, utilities, tool payments (they don't give away quality latest technology tools), shop equipment (lifts, hoists, jacks, drop lights, tool boxes, etc.), wages (mechanics don't work for peanuts like clowns and elephants!), INSURANCE (HUGE UNSEEN & MISUNDERSTOOD BILL!), TAXES!,TAXES, TAXES, (local, regional, state, federal, sales, income business + personal, etc.!) Upgrades and compliance issues!, lawyers to fight ignorant clowns who think they know more than you but don't, won't or can't put their $ where their mouth is!

Now farther more the more BS you put out shows your complete incompetence & ignorance! If you were as good a clown as you run your mouth, you should have $ in the bank to use when needed! But poorly paid clowns who don't understand the need to PUT SOMETHING no matter who small or large away for later, and live pay day to pay day & often blame others for their misfortunes just don't understand the way economics work. And don't have the demand for their "carney services" that a PROFESSIONAL CLOWN does!

I am so tired of hearing how good you are, how much better & cheaper you COULD do things, yada, yada, yada. Put your $ WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS or shut up and listen and learn. It really irritates me that you keep coming back with the same lame BS about US (diesel mechanics which almost any bus mechanic is, but not all diesel mechanics make good bus mechanics!) while telling us who to do what we already do, and at the same time expect us to be tolerant of your constant BS and give you Free advice even though we ain't trust worthy!

In short start listening more, insulting less, and for damn sure quit giving advice where you don't have a clue as to how bad you could get someone hurt, killed or maimed! Quality work and craftsmanship cost $! Just like a good clown gets paid good $ and called for the good parties while bad clowns follow what ever CARNIVAL will allow them too!

If you really wanna learn from us try to stop alienating us! You say you've "been coming to this site for a while but are still shown as a newbie nuisance. Until you opened your fly trap we didn't even realize we were teaching someone that doesn't trust us! Maybe that is the way it should return too until you learn how to respect those you wish to teach you something!

BY THE WAY THE BOARD HAS FREE SPELL CHECKING! Even if you can't spell, you can use it and make your posts legible! FWIW I'm done clowning with you!   Angry  BK   Angry

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: