Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 24, 2018, 02:54:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Toad Question  (Read 7236 times)
kyle4501

NEWELL in South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

The Blue Ox system doesn't have to lock up the brakes in a break away situation, there is a pressure regulator that you can set & an application distance limit you can use to adjust the braking effort applied.

Another thing, if my car pulls when I hit the brakes, I know something needs fixing.  Wink

How much redundancy do you need?
For me, it depends on the results of a failure. . . . inconvenience, bad day, ruined vacation, end of life as I know it . . . . .

I know how to properly use safety chains as a backup for a ball coupling failure . . . 
But what is your backup plan if the chain system fails?

your coach, your way . . . . .

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »

Okay, I'm looking into a braking system.  Grin I didn't start this thread, but I appreciate all the comments. Like Dallas, I've seen the results of lock-up safety systems. I've had them on everything I've ever towed until this Liberty. Safety chains-dah- Dallas hit the nail on the head there  Wink. At least 5/16" cargo grade and learn how and where to connect them up!! Damage my stuff, my problem. Damage someone else's or someone else, that is much harder to live with Sad
Again, thanks for the input and comments. The roads are safer because of you all, Will Grin

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »

Lin,  i have the Unified Tow Brake from U.S. Gear.  I have been very happy with it from the first day as stated in my previous post. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:45 AM »

We have an M&G brake unit on our Grand Cherokee (purchased used at www.hitchtrader.com).  After installing the M&G and adding a breakaway feature, I decided to test the stoping power of the breakaway feature.  I put 50 PSI in the breakaway resevoir, wired a temporary switch (fed through the window to the driver). I drove down the road in front of our house and at about 45-50 MPH, I put the car in neutral, let loose of the steering wheel and flipped the switch. The wheels did not lock, but the brakes applied harder than what I would consider a "noemal" stop. Car tracked straight until it came to a stop. I made 3 of these stops before I used up the air in the resevoir. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »

We tow an '05 Chevy Cavalier, all you need to do is pull the headlight fuses and the PCM
fuse so your computer doesn't run up the milage on your odometer.  The Cavalier with automatic,
will tow flat but at a max of 55 MPH.  Mfg. requirements, not mine.  We use a Tow-V-Aire brake
system.  It is easy to install and maintain, runs on coach power[not invasive of the car's electrical
system] we also use magnetic "tow" lights, so there is no electrical load on the car at all.  The Tow-
V-Aire also has a breakaway switch.
Blessings,
David
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »

since you all brought these comments, i did some research.  all of them seem to assume that your power brakes aren't powered.  roadmaster says you must have power brakes, but then says something about "active" brakes that seems to indicate that the "active" brake vehicles have to have some sort of pressure relief so that they don't press too easily all the way on causing a lockup on the tow vehicle.

since we tow with the engine running, that means the power brakes are "active"Huh  so some of these brake systems won't work becuase they assume a need to press a power brake pedal that isn't powered??

i hope this isn't hijacking the thread.  Embarrassed

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

After talking to Roadmaster, they were more interested in cya than helping.  i was trying to find out what needed to be done to use either the Brakemaster or Even Brake.  Unfortunately, all they could say was the warranty wouldn' cover our use without even trying to understand what was happening or explain their reluctance.
We got a much clearer explanation and assistance from SMI on their Air Force One brake system, including a substantial discount ($300) for some parts not required on a real bus versus an RV.  Their tech person took the time to understand what we were doing, explain the options, offered to set the brake pressure controller before they shipped it, and even were interested in the Bussin' 09 rally since they'll be at Tampa for that show.

i'm now in favor of SMI and their Air Force One air brake.   if it works anywhere near as well as their support staff, it will be a real deal.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: