Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 09:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rv heater question...  (Read 2776 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »

this came with my bus.  It's been sprayed a little along with my great  70's paint job.  What is it?  I have a huge  propane tank in my bus to run it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:58:03 PM by zubzub » Logged

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »

A hot water heater   have a good day
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »

What he said.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

for radient heat I presume?

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

Its a standard RV LP water heater, it could be adapted by someone for radiant heat!!  HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

for radient heat I presume?

It's possible, I suppose. Do you have radiators upstairs?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »

I thought I did, but honestly I am just starting to look at the house systems.  There are these things that look like radiators with forced air ducts ducts 3" but like I said I couldn't even tell you if I had another H20  heater on the bus.  Will take some pics soon.

Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

Most likely for bath and kitchen hot water.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »

Just from what I can tell there are some parts missing like for one a propane supply line. I would say it is a boat anchor.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »

ZubZub,

Anyone suggesting that you use that water heater for radiant heat has their tongue in their cheek.  That device is SOOOOO inefficient.  The hole in the lower right is the end of a "U" shaped pipe that exits the tank at the upper left behind that grill.  That exhaust gets so hot your skin will "stick" to it if touched.  The water is heated by the u shaped "chimney" that is in contact with the water inside the tank.  After the water is heated the flame goes out but that chimney still keeps ambient air flowing thru the chimney and cooling the water.  It is a very inefficient device but it works very well and there is one on every coach I have ever seen unless the have an electric HWH.

It can be made much more efficient by putting an insulating pad over the entire outside assemble and securing it to the skin.  Insulated and closed up that way you must use an electric element to heat the water.  I have full timed with this and it was no problem....used a lot of propane when elect wasn't available.

There is a "on demand" system that heats only the water you are using and quits when you turn off the hot water.  They have them with propane and electric.  Electric one are wimpy and voracious power eaters.  The propane ones cost $700 but aren't as expensive as it seems considering that one you have sells for a few hundred.  The on-demand is also much more efficient even though it sounds like a jet engine when fired up.

While you are looking at all that propane stuff make sure you don't have any compression fittings in the lines..only at the device and the manifold...each end.  The copper tubing should run from the manifold to the device and have no splices.  I took out all my long and cumberson propane lines and spent a day carefully cutting the tubing and fitting it really pretty with compression fittings.  Right angles around wall hugging corners and perfect verticals and horizontals.....and what an idiot I was.  Each and every joint on that line was a "failure point" and I installed about 20 of em.  Propane usually only leaks once and that is the end of the coach....and you if you are in there.   I redid everything I had done previously and took it back to original.

Just thought I would jaw awhile seeing as you said you didn't know what was in there and were a little green.

HTH

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »

ZubZub,

If it is operable....don't dispose of it.  The tanks eat thru and it will cost a lot to replace with a new item.  Sooner or later Zub!

Also there are a lot of coaches out there with two heaters cause Mama and the Kids need a lot.

FWIW

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

JohnEd, I just installed one of the Atwood XT propane hot water heaters on my daughters 5th wheel and those seem to be a efficicent hot water heater.    good luck
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »

Luvr,

They work like a charm and are reliable.  I have no scientific date to support a "real" efficiency analysis.  I base my comment on having used one for many years.  I can tell you that my propane usage dropped dramatically when I converted the water heater to 115 V optional.  I think I used as much gas to heat the water as I did to heat the entire 30 foot coach in the winter.  I also re calibrated my thermostat to 140 degrees, scald and injure temp, so I could take a decent shower mixing the hot with freezing water.

Luv, I have one, I use it, I am happy with it, I would purchase another if this one broke and I would recommend them to any RV'er.......for the generation of hot water for kitchen and bath.  Like I think it was Gumpydog said " I guess that could be made to work", referring to using this water heater as the "boiler" for a hydronic system.  Lacked enthusiasm me thinks but merely conceded a point.  It takes my heater 20 min to heat a 6 gallon tank and I doubt that would be enuf BTU (45,000 for Webasto) to handle a coach of any size.  I think we are in agreement...right?

Having my druthers, I would still opt for the on-demand system by Bosh.

John

Wait a minute,,,,have I been had?  What is an "XT".  I have the heater sim to the 1 Zub showed and I think that is and Atwood.  There are only two mfr.s that are popular and both work the same way.  Now I will have to goggle Atwood!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:15:25 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

Luvr,

You got me sorta maybe.  The Atwood XT is a new generation of RV water heater.  The gas portion is rated at 8,000 BTU. so we have part of the formula right there.  Now if we knew how long it took to raise 6 gallons to temp X we could determin an efficiency.  Even at this being a "new" generation it is only 50% more efficient and I think they started WAY WAY back.

At $622 vs 300 I would probably still go with the old style.  That is my wallet driven choice.  Your daughter got top of the line in efficiency and she will be happy with that one for a long time.  Way to go Dad.

Neat journey....Thanks,

John

—Pla
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »

thanks to everyone for all the info....does look like a very inefficient design to me ( the burner anyway). I'll leave it for know just trying to get up to speed.  Probably go by next week and do some other stuff I'll take some more pics of house systems then. 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: