Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 01:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedroom downstairs under the floor?  (Read 3313 times)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:06:46 AM »

So the more I think about it the more I love the idea. Is it practical? I was looking at this bus...

http://www.evolutioncustomcoach.com/forsale/74-8/

but it's a weekender/tailgater floor plan with no bedroom which is a problem for fulltiming. On another thread where we were discussing the bus, jjrbus made the joke/suggestion of converting a bay to queen size bed with a cool trap door entrance. I love it! But is it practical?

Would it work with reasonable insulation for sound and heating/cooling? Has anyone else ever done it? What are the issues you can think of?

Thanks, Paul.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »

Well, as a full timer myself, I can say, you will miss the storage space.

I have a GMC RTS bus and love it.  But the only part I don't like is the minimal bay space available.  It would be very nice to have more storage space.  (But I love other aspects of my RTS enough, I would still choose it if I were to do it over.)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:37:16 AM »

But with the lack of a bedroom means there is a huge amount of storage space in drawers and cupboards upstairs and I wouldn't need to step outside to get things. I understand for big things though. Everything on a bus plan is a compromise I guess.
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »

funny you mention that, i was at a truckstop and was talking to a trucker who suggested the same thing to me.....i actually found the idea to be extremely practical, as for me i am converting my bus into an entertainer coach, and the rear lounge is going to turn into a bedroom when the wives of the married guys come out on tour with us.....and personally, for obvious reasons i would prefer them to be in the bay hahahaha

im completely kidding actually, but i was thinking that it would be very practical, because this way when the girls come out, the rest of us still have use of both the lounges and arent restricted to just half the bus.  what are some cool ideas for a trap door?  i would probably be utilizing the front bay

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »

In mexico the co drivers often sleep in the front bay.  If you like small spaces it will work, but having travelled and slept in vans etc...I can tell you a lack of head room can be a drag.  FWIW there was a guy who made a bedroom for his kids in a bay, they liked it a lot!

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »

The owner of this board does that on his Moose Creek Cabin conversions or at least the 1 I saw. the drivers sleeping in the bay is where the Joey bed originated from the Mexicans roll it out with bedding and some even have a cooktop                         Have a great day
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »

I would prefere the bedroom in the back of the bus. I lived in a 5Th wheel that had no head room in the sleeping area. It worked but can't say that I would like to do it full time again. My main concern would be safety. Would there be a way out in case of fire upstairs?

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »

We seal our buses up the best we can and that is usually pretty tight. Cool  The bay would need a fresh air supply no matter if it were occupied by kids or wives. Tongue  If you are seriously considering having the wives occupy that space take a moment and conjure up a really talented attorney. Cry

Good luck on this and hold back enuf for postage for updating us on how you are doing. Shocked

John Grin

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »

Someplace in my adventures I have seen the bay bedroom!! IIRC the bed was on a slideout so they could sleep under the stars. Dont remember the details on it. Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »

Remember that every sleeping area needs two means of egress.  So in addition to the trap door, you will need either a manual inside release for the bay door, or, better yet, put an operable window on each side of the bay, which will also allow for light and fresh air.

A deck-rated boat hatch, available from marine suppliers, is one option for your trap door, although you can make something simple for much less money.

Remember that the hatch must always be operable from in the bay, to meet the egress requirements.  So you will want good exterior locks on the bay, as this will now be a way to enter the whole coach.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »

delete

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:29:48 PM by DebDav » Logged
basil

93 Eagle 15-45, 89 Bluebird All American FE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »

I converted the front two luggage bays for my three kids.  They hold all of their luggage and toys and provide lots of room for them to play with friends and sleep.  The kids of course think it is just about the coolest thing going.

It definitely changed the environment of the bus.  I would say they spend more than half of their time down there, and once I install a flatscreen I would not be surprised if they didn't spend all of their time down there.  It definitely makes the bus seem a lot bigger and more open.

It is also a popular place for adults to sleep.  Going to the superbowl last year with 8 guys we had people fighting over the bays.  The ride down there seems to be smoother than even the smooth eagle ride, possibly because you are riding below the axles.

I would highly recommend it if you have a similar family situation.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »

I have seen a bay bedroom somewhere, with bed on slideout.  I did a google search and this is all that came up.
                     http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=106.0

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »

Basil & Phil -

Can you guys post some pics of the downstairs bedroom/play area? 

TIA,

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 04:19:58 AM »

They showed a really nice one on  Motor Mansions II on HGTV. Huh

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: