Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:20:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EasyMat vs backerboard for tile underlayment  (Read 12266 times)
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »

I was told by one expert to use EasyMat (sold at HD) for my bathroom tile floor underlayment. I went out and bought a roll only to have another expert tell me if I didn't use backerboard instead that my tile would crack. Help! I would appreciate some authoritative advice on this subject? Thanks.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »

I have never used EasyMat but I have Gator Mat the Gator mat is used on concrete floors to stop the cracking and a moister barrier and I don't believe either product has any strength with out a solid backing like wonder board   good luck
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »

I use both, and both from HD, but I tend to overdo things.

I actually start off with hopefully at least 1/2, preferably 3/4 plywood subfloor, I cover that with a liquid rubber membrane (from HD, I think it's called Red Guard, comes in a gallon bucket for $44), roll that out with a roller about 1/8" thick.  While the Red Guard is still slightly wet, I then screw down the concrete board with screws called "Rock-on", they work great.  Once secured, lay down some adhesive and then your Easymat and let dry.  Once dry, start laying tiles. 

I know this is really a lot of overkill, but that rubber material absorbs vibrations from transferring from plywood to concrete board, but is dense enough to support it well.  Plus, if you have any squeaks in the floor below, you wont after using that.  And it's watertight, so your flooding at least stays off your plywood, if it ever gets that bad.

So far, no complaints!

HTH

Todd

p.s. Did I mention I hate cracked grout lines?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:10:22 PM by coachconverter » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:53 AM »

I have used the backerboard in mobile and fixed applications with great results.

As stated previously, the subsurface is just as important.  Tile cracks from movement of the subsurface it is attached too.  Get that right and your halfway there.

In the coach I only attach the tile with the mastic adhesive, It is much more forgiving than thinset to vibration. (my experience)

Like Coachconverter, I tend to overkill a little, but, have you ever tried to add backerboard once the tile is down?Huh??     Grin Angry Tongue     

Once and done!

Best of luck on your install,

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: