Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
September 19, 2017, 09:11:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child seats in a bus  (Read 2928 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

Most of the seats in my bus are original bus seats.  None except driver's seat have seat belts.

I assume I am out of luck for securing child seats.  The other issue might be state law.  Children under 12 require seat belts, but adults only need them up front.

I have been thinking about doing a holiday lights tour for my extended family, but then I realized seat belts for kids would be a problem.  I'm also less than certain that I want to expose my bus to road salt.  I've driven a total of 20 miles in the winter and the salt from that trip caued some pretty serious rusting of the steel wheels in that short time.  Road salt is applied pretty much daily in the winter months at least to ramps and bridges regardless of precip.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:40:57 AM »

ratchet straps maybe connected to the undersides of the seat, or even more permanantly to the seat floor bolts?

that would hold the car seats that we use in the van for the little ones anyway.  not as easy as seat belts, but it should serve the purpose and, if stopped, show you were trying.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:36:30 AM »

Keeping the kids safe and following state laws can be two different things.  You might want to check the specific laws regarding seat belts for the type of vehicle you have (ie: registered as non-commercial motorhome?)   In many states, RVs are exempt from standard passenger car seat belt laws. 

In any event, you still want to make sure everyone is safe. Keep the front passengers belted, and everyone (including adults) seated.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

I think I am pretty much going to give up on this idea.  I don't see my brother going for this.  The child seat might work, but the booster seat for the older nephew requires a seat belt.  I don't know if they would be okay with the older nephew just sitting in a bus seat.

For safety and liability reasons it might be better to just hire a limo company to do a holiday lights tour, but the cost would be much, much more.

My bus doesn't really have any front passenger seats like a regular motorhome.  The driver is at least 18 inches below the passengers.  I left the front bulkheads in place because they are welded in place very well.  I believe any half way reasonable LEO would consider all of the passengers seats to be rear seats not requiring seat belts.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »

Brian take them and enjoy it! Limo's run $75 to $200/hr! Most have a 4-6 hr min. and will limit the "tour distance with in a certain radious! USE THAT BUS! USE THAT BUS! USE THAT BUS! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

Brian take them and enjoy it! Limo's run $75 to $200/hr! Most have a 4-6 hr min. and will limit the "tour distance with in a certain radious! USE THAT BUS! USE THAT BUS! USE THAT BUS! Grin  BK  Grin

My brother would be the one to decide if he wants to do it since he has the kids.  I'll have to email him.

I did find a limo service that would do a 3 hour holiday lights tour for $255 plus 20% gratuity.  Unless the economy is really tanking, the tours are probably pretty well booked by now anyhow.

My other big issue would be heat.  I don't know if the generator and three or four electric heaters would be enough.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:48:09 PM by belfert » Logged

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »

i'm with bk.  Use the Bus!!

as far as heat - we have one toe-kick in the rear and 1 toe kick by the kitchen that we use to heat our bus to about 50 deg or so in the winter.  so far, even at 20 deg, has stayed between 40 and 55.  the only reason it is so high is that we have blown a breaker before and i don't want everything to immediately freeze.  at 50, it will take an hour or more for pipes to start freezing. 

i think if i turned all 4 toe-kicks on, we'd be warm enough.  and the bus does have bus heat as well.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 04:20:10 AM »

Grin http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7383.msg71746#msg71746  Grin

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »

Belfert, our 4106 has six of the original seats, and four of them are forward facing.  The forward facing seats each have retractable lap belts that are anchored to the frame of the seats.  They work very well with child car seats that have bases and their own straps.  They don't work and we don't use them for kids that are in booster seats.  My kids' seats are good for 80 lbs.  For friends and family that have kids over 80lbs, they either let the kids sit on the couch or decide not to join us!

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »

from what I unsestand if the vehicle is originally equipped with tem you must use them  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: