Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 02:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel generator life expectancy  (Read 11214 times)
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »

The longevity of these gens is a little depressing to me as someone who hopes to fulltime with lots of boondocking running on veggie oil. Has anyone considered installing a Lister engine based generator in a bus? They are specifically designed to go forever with very little maintenance and apparently sip diesel. Just google Lister generator or check out this link for more info...

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001011.php

Cheers, Paul.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »

these guys specialize in low maintenance diesel generator

they are VERY popular in europe for Co-generation and heating

see--> http://www.marathonengine.com/index.html

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:05 AM »

The longevity of these gens is a little depressing to me as someone who hopes to fulltime with lots of boondocking running on veggie oil. Has anyone considered installing a Lister engine based generator in a bus? They are specifically designed to go forever with very little maintenance and apparently sip diesel. Just google Lister generator or check out this link for more info...

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001011.php

Cheers, Paul.

Neet idea and I like Lister engines.  But physical size could be a problem.  Research that aspect carefully before committing to that direction.  Or better yet try to get hands on with one first.  I would love to see it work out though, so if you make it work, please do tell us about it and post pictures.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »

Onan tried the Lister engine without success in the 1980 era,the point that is being missed here is the duty cycles of the generator some are as low as 30% regardless of the sales hype I never saw one with a 100% cycle for RV use   have a great day
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »

Luvrbus, how does one know that the bearing in the power head has gone bad. I am wondering because I just bought a powertech with 4500 hrs on it. It seems quiet to me.
Thanks

Listen to the bearing using a mechanic's stethoscope with the probe on the end of the generator shaft.  I would go ahead and change the bearing. It is a simple procedure. Just remove the generator end cap, replace bearing and re-install the end cap.  You may need a small bearing puller and a small block of wood  to install the new bearing. The bearing is availablr at NAPA. We keep a spare for our 8 KW Powertech and the Napa part # is 6206-2RSJ  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »

Jack, I have a 10KW powertec and am wondering if the power head has a bearing at both ends of the rotor shaft?  I am somewhat concerned as to bearing condition because of age!  Do You know if the crankshaft supports one end of the rotor?  Thanks John
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »

Usually a direct bolted generator has the engine side supported by the crankshaft and the alternator end has a bearing.

As to Listeroids-granted they can be very long lived, but do you need a generator that will last 40,000hrs (that's running the generator for 8hrs every day for over 13 years)?  Most of us won't need much over 10,000hrs, and over 20,000hrs is already proven for Kubota based generators.

Listeroids are great for running veg oil and for generating power for a remote location where electricity is not available.  But they are extremely heavy (1,500lbs compared to the 10kw I have that is 520lb), they do not have a very sensitive governor, so hertz fluctuation is relatively high [no good for electronics], they are much louder then the present compact Diesels, and can be hard to crank start-although electric is available now.  Then where do you get them worked on if something does go wrong?

Personally-I have a Powertech 10kw that has worked well.  But since Dick Wright with Wrico International is on the west coast in Eugene, Or, I am going to use his 13kw in my truck conversion.  Mainly since he will build the gen the old fashion way with mechanical relays and manual activation of the starting sequence-rather than electronic controls.  Just my preference.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »

Do You know if the crankshaft supports one end of the rotor?  Thanks John

Yes, the engine end is supported by the crankshaft.  I watched PowerTech replace my generator head. There is an adapter plate that bolts onto the flywheel and the engine end of the generator fits in this adapter plate. (actually they installed the generator armature assembly on the flywheel and then installed the main generator case and the rear end plate.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: