Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine won't start  (Read 8534 times)
CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »

Hey everyone I have a 6v92 ta and it will turn over but won't crank is the first time its done this so I don't know what to do, someone suggested that it lost prime but would I not see or smell fuel?

servant for JESUS CHRIST
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »

Is it making white smoke when turning over?
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »

If you can, remove the fuel filter and see if there is fuel in it. If not then you must re prime the system. There are instructions on how to do so in the archives or past threads pertaining to this procedure.

What type bus do you have and when you try to start it, do you notice smoke? If so, what color is the smoke? All important questions to answer your request more thorough!!

Ace
CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:44:40 PM »

1986  GMC RTS 40' 6V92TA T806
Yes it is white smoke when turning over

servant for JESUS CHRIST
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

C Boy is the engine mechanical or DDEC    have a great evening
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »

How cold is it out? You are getting fuel with white smoke.
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »

don't know about fuel will check this weekend and it is mui
   todd   its about 50 degrees out

servant for JESUS CHRIST
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »

Sounds like your getting fuel with white smoke so I would leave the filters alone!

I would check for a stuck E shut down if it has one but like you were asked, is it a DDEC or not?

Ace
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 08:51:29 PM »

Sounds like your getting fuel with white smoke so I would leave the filters alone!

I would check for a stuck E shut down if it has one but like you were asked, is it a DDEC or not?

Ace

Ace he already answered that MIU. MANUAL INJECTION UNIT! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »

Yea BK I missed that as they were being posted faster than I could type and think at this time of night!  Roll Eyes
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »

C Boy try to reprime the engine they will blow white smoke when air is in the system.    have a great evening
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:31 AM »

I'm confused, how can they produce white smoke with air in system? If I was blowing smoke, fuel would be the last place I would look.
                                                           Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 04:43:18 AM »

Jim, I don't know about all Detroit's but my 8v92 will  pump out white smoke and will not start with air in the system and so will Van's( bike whisperer) 6v92 I think it is because it is getting some fuel but not enough fuel for atomization. good luck
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:53:29 AM by luvrbus » Logged
GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 06:06:32 AM »

I can make white smoke anytime!  Just keep trying to start with no or little air and you can turn your DD into a white smoke machine.  I have a shim that I put in between the throttle stop to open the air to start the engine.  Works just great.  This keeps idle up to prevent low oil pressure on warm up and I have this shim tied to a nylon line.  As soon as air pressure builds and I am ready to go, I punch the throttle a little and the shim drops out. 

My 8V71 TA starts instantly with the shim in place.  My shim is ~1/4".  I don't have this problem with the 671, but it is standard transmission and is set for higher idle = more air on start.  But my 871 has as an Allison.  No way am I going to go with high idle on that unit!  I don't want her clunking in and out of gear! 

The shim completely solves my no start or smoke problem.  If I forget the shim, then I bet I can outsmoke you!  Simple solution to an annoying problem.  And I am not surprised that it has not been mentioned here.  Took me a lot of quizzing around before I solved that one.  Of course, you could do a sophisitcated electric fast idle modification.  Air is useless as there is no pressure on a cold start! 

Someone here may have a better mousetrap for this and a lot of us are participating here to get educated one way or the other.  I don't know much, but this smoke thing had to go if you know what I mean. 

Bill T.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »

Just a thought, are you sure the engine is spinning fast enough?  It doesn't take much of a drop in spinning RPM in cold weather to create a no start situation. Cold engine, maybe batteries not quite up to par?, it doesn't take much.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: