Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tow Hitch for 4106 wanted  (Read 7180 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 07:28:01 AM »

Didn't have any rust problem on mine! And with a full frame it is really no problem to put a hitch on it. LOL
Richard

RE: Now is the time to look at an Eagle! LOL   Richard

Hey Richard, Why do I want to look at more rust? Grin

They ALL have issues, each with its own merits/ demerits. That's why they made so many different ones.

kyle4501

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 07:35:19 AM »

Didn't have any rust problem on mine! And with a full frame it is really no problem to put a hitch on it. LOL
Richard

And you knew this because you did the careful inspections & knew your equipment. You did not take that for granted.

Eagles make great coaches, almost as good as GMC's Smiley

kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »

Yea Kyle!
Richard

Eagles make great coaches, almost as good as GMC's Smiley
kyle4501

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 08:11:53 AM »

Hmmmmm. . .

My I-Beam idea sounds like it'll work, but it'll have to be canterlevered much more that I thought. 

I still think I'll need to use the popular weight distribution bars just to help remove some of the tongue weight.

Mark -

Called a fellow 4106 owner this week about his towing experiences.  He's one of these vagabond individuals who works the local small town festivals and carnivals up and down the west coast, providing bounce houses and similar playthings.  He's been towing a three-axle, twenty-eight foot boxed cargo trailer w/ all the amusements packed inside along with a Honda Civic runabout, for over 10 years, so I felt his observations were worth including on this thread.

He told me he went thru three 4106s with this trailer, two of which had a "life-ending" chassis failure.  First one had the engine bulkhead pull away from the supporting structure ahead of it, causing a huge buckle in the roof and breaking both of the rear side windows.  That coach only had a hitch attached underneath the rear bumper to the cradle.  Second coach developed leaks in the roof thru the rivets where the engine hanger stringers attach, as well as a cracked engine bulkhead.  Third coach "died" when a set of duals came off an 18-wheeler, bounced across the median and came thru the passenger-side windshield - fortunately Mama was taking a nap in the bedroom at the time, or she'd have been killed.  The trucking company's insurance bought them their current rig, which is one of those RV units built on a Class 8 Peterbilt chassis.  Says he really misses the '06s, but that this suits his towing needs much better.  His trailer, btw, has a Tuff-Tow unit on it - he said he added it after the second '06 died, and, altho it's not really needed w/ the Peterbilt, it did make a difference when used behind the third '06, one that could be felt up front.

Maybe the $2K cost of a Tuff-Tow or Hitch Buddy would be worth the investment??  Your coach, your call. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 09:36:21 AM »

Russ, after all of this work on designing and installing a hitch, we might find that we still have to use some type of tongue weight distribution setup.  I'm going attempt to build a stout hitch that attaches to the most appropriate structure on the bus.  After that is done, we'll determine if we need to go the extra mile and install one of the products that you suggested.

BTW, do you know how much your friends trialer weighed?  Tongue weight?  Do you know him well enough to ask if I can call him?

Thanks,

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

Mark -

IIRC, he said it was about 11K loaded.  Packs some playstuff in the front, the car in the middle over the axles, and more playstuff in the rear.  Ramp door on the back, side doors on both sides, street side one is located so you can get out of the car.

Oh, btw, the last two '06s had V-730s put in them - he burned up too many clutches in the first coach.

He's working a big festival in OR this holiday weekend, but I'll try to get thru to him again and see if you can call.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dallas

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »

It may not be pertinent, but we towed an 18' flatbed trailer from ND to NC with our TDH3610. The only problem we found at the time was the hitch on the trailer broke in Knoxville. Of course we had well over 8K on the trailer with our 11' cabover camper and all our belongings.

Now the bad part

Once we got to NC and emptied the bus out we found a BIG hump on the floor just aft of the differential. It turned out that the tongue weight was so much that when the dynamic load hit the frame it caused the bulkhead to buckle and forced the cross members up. This wasn't a happy thing.

The long and short is, figure out how much you really have to have hanging off the back end and see what you can put in the coach itself, one way or another. The poor old bus wasn't really built as a tow vehicle, althougth, as soon as I get time, I'll figure out a way to pull at least 6K with my 4103!

Dallas
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2006, 08:11:41 PM »

Okay, Dallas.  Everyone has been been very helpful during the fact finding part of this tow hitch project, but the fact of the matter is other people have tried and failed to pull less weight than I'm attempting to pull.

Dallas also brought another twist to it.  My car trailer has always served as my "garage" on the road.  I never thought of removing the contents of the trailer (tools, supplies, nitrogen tanks, extra wheels and tires, fuel, etc) and storing them in the basement of the coach.  This would literally remove thousands of pounds from the weight of the trailer, but it'll still come in around 6500#. 

It's at this point I'm torn.  My father-in-law has a 900# Featherlight open car trailer that he uses only to move around some small antique tractors.  I'm seriously considering using that trailer to tow the car (total trailer weight will be 4100#) and storing all of my stuff in the coach.  The only thing that wont fit is my tool box (roll away style).  I'll have to buy a couple of chest style boxes and mount them on sliders of some sort.  The time and effort of moving everything from the enclosed trailer to the coach basement will be considerable, but not impossible.

I believe I can get the tongue weight to less than 400 pounds, and with weight distribution bar I can get that to mid 200.  That makes the stress levels very low for the coach.  This solution should make everyone (nearly everyone) happy.

I'll still post pictures of my uber hitch when it's under way.

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2006, 11:27:12 AM »

Tow hitch on a 4104 - this is what happens! Cheesy

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 05:51:49 AM »

Make sure your insurance is up to date and do it your way. I won't comment on this issue other than to say all I pull  behind my 4905 is a tow dolly with the car on that.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: