Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:44:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked liners due to operator abuse - now in Camp Luke  (Read 23736 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:49:12 PM »

(about the only thing we didn't do was blow a head gasket so I changed the subject line)

The subject line says it all - any reccomendations out there?  Anybody to avoid at all costs?  We're in Cortland, NY which is about 30 miles south of Syracuse.  We're still sort of mobile but blowing a gawdawful white cloud and using coolant faster than fuel - and not pressurizing the rad which is a new one for me.

I've already had one reccomendation for "Grant Street Repair" - basically from a passerby but in fairness I talked to a mechanic and it sounded like they did know what a diesel engine was.    Anybody know them?

8-92 Turbo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:59:34 AM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

Sad So sorry to hear about your troubles. We're keeping our frozen fingers crossed for you.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »

Bob,

My wife came running to find why I yelled "OH NO!".  Sorry to hear about your break down.  And in this weather....crap!

Did this failure have a cause or was it just inadvertent?  Like to many cycles between subzero and full temp(180)?  What was your first symptom that you had a problem?  If you are not adding pressure to the coolant your leak must be to the outside and not into combustion...true?  Maybe that is a leak you could slow down enuf with bars leaks(bite my tongue) to limp on south to Friendly Ville to known resources.  Please forgive me for being simplistic if I am.

Wishing you well.

PWH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »

Bob sorry to hear about you having problems!

Maybe Sammy or some of our New Yorkers can chime in and be of help! Is your engine a 71 or a 92 series? I

Is it just blowing out thru the exhaust side? Or is it getting in the oil too?

If it is just the exhaust side you might try the Bars Leak to make it farther south somewhere to a "KNOWN SAFE PLACE"! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »

Bob, Penn Detroit Diesel in Syracuse is a good shop and the labor rate is around 100 bucks it was 3 years ago   

good luck
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »

BK I think it is getting in the sump too but it was dark & we were pretty focussed on getting off the road.  Its an 8-92.  I'll have a closer look at the oil in the AM.  I figure we've got Sunday to make a plan regardless - nothing is going to happen until Monday no matter what we do.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »

Bob,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I can't say from experience, but we have had some good experiences with authorized mechanics. I know that there are a busload ( Grin) of great mechanics out there, that aren't certified, but the biggest problem is finding them. I know that there are a lot of unethical mechanics out there, so be careful.

That said, your pickings look pretty slim. I ran a Google search, and here is what I came up with. http://maps.google.com/maps?num=50&hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=ItM&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Detroit+diesel+repair+in+Syracuse+ny&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image

I would also call some local bus lines, and see if they have any recommended roadside mechanics (or any other shops).

How far can you limp for? I have a story about something similar... Our oil cooler's gasket had disintegrated, and was pouring out oil at the rate of a gallon and a half every ten minutes. We drove it for an hour and a half, to get it to the shop. We bought a lot of gallons of oil, that day, only to donate them to the road. We were actually able to retrace our route on the interstate. Grin

I'm not sure whether that helps. Keep us updated.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »

If he is getting water and antifreeze in the oil he does not want to try and drive his bus 8v92's do not like that combination it will spin the bearings on the crankshaft      have a great evening
Blacksheep

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »

Bob it appears your heading south on 81 and if so, I did a google search by modifying the above search and found what looks to be a large fleet service provider in Binghamton which is south of Syracuse. Here is the info I got if that is any help!

Dick Laing Diesel Service Diesel Service‎ 
155 W Service Hwy, Binghamton, NY‎ -
 (607) 722-1430‎
 The web site is:  fleetsource.com

Ace
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 05:46:27 AM »

Bob, sorry to hear of your troubles.
Here's a few suggestions, got 'em from my Bus Garage Index...

Swarthout Coaches
Ithaca,NY
607-257-2277, or 2660

Chenango Valley Bus Lines Inc.
Binghamton,NY
1-800-647-6471

Mello- Dears Charters
Owego,NY
607-699-3809

Atlantic Detroit Diesel -Allison Inc
Latham, NY (Near Albany)
518-452-0000, or 518-438-5961

ADDA is the NY Detroit/Allison guy, Like Williams,Johnson & Towers, etc.
Swarthout used to park their coaches in our old yard when they brought college kids home to Long Island for the holidays.
Sent you a PM too.........
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »

Anyone that owns a bus should carry a copy of The Bus Pages it is the best $20.00 you can spend when traveling in one of these beasts     Have a great day
artglass

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:22 AM »

where is the link to order it?
    Kevin
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:47:39 AM »

Kevin; www.busbook.com  or 1-800-775-4577    have a great day
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »

Hello Bob      I have a number of a guy who lives there    call me   mike lutestanski 1 352 489-1581   I will give you his info.  I dont know if he is still fixing engines .
      regards   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »

I tried that link for the bus book and It would not work. Is there another link?

WvaNative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: