Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked liners due to operator abuse - now in Camp Luke  (Read 24081 times)
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »

Bob, I just sent a PM with a couple of contact people in the area.  I forgot to put a subject line in, so let me know if it didn't come through.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »

Bob,

I couldn't agree with Deuce more.  I don't think you needed that "caution" yourself but if it saves even one "spun bearing" it was time well spent on his part.

So, is there coolant in the sump?    Ive been up all knight wondering on pins and needles Roll Eyes  This is probably no time for humor of any kind.  Was making the point that I and others are concerned and you knew that. Sad

Seeing as you are headed south, I thought you could get by with straight water and never let her chill.  You have a hundred gallons and that should get you to a spot where you could turn her of and rest.  If it isn't going into the sump, of course.

Good luck and post soon,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »

If he is getting water and antifreeze in the oil he does not want to try and drive his bus 8v92's do not like that combination it will spin the bearings on the crankshaft     have a great evening

As usual you are 100% correct Cole! That is exactly why I asked if it was getting in the oil!

Back when I was working the Katrina/Rita hurricane reliefs I did "save" an engine and was able to stay on another week and still get it home by draining ALL the oil & coolant and refilling the coolant with straight water and bars leak and changing the oil, doing both three times in 2 days! (but it was a time when I didn't have a choice and it was either try that or tow it home and loose $800+ per day for who knew who much longer we'd be there? I weighed the odds and decided that the damage was done, and if it didn't work I was only out the bars leak and oil, and time. So I gambled on it! I am in no means trying to tell you to do the same, just letting you know it is possible! Oh yeah it was on my "Hotrod" 8V92TA DDEC also by the way! FWIW)  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »

Thank you "makemineatwostroke for the information of the Bus Pages
The Bus Pages (left click)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about the grief of having a leaking headgasket while en routing to warmer climate.

Whatever you do, avoid driving it or gamble.

About leaking coolant (antifreeze)...of course...it damaging to walls as well bearings. Plain water is better however, freezing temperature while running is not in your favor too. Whatever ways you choose...coolant will get into oil sump via piston rings

Hope it go the least expense for you.

I will pray that it goes swiftly in repair and cost.

Gerald & Lynette

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »

We've definitely got coolant in the sump and I am of the opinion that the damage is likely already done.  Just getting it off the side of the road was likely enough to hurt it based on the various conversations I have had online and on the phone over the last 12 hours. 

I've got a couple of good reccomendations for the local service shop so I'm going to talk to them in the AM.  I think what we are going to talk about is an R & R for a rebuilt of some description.  I've got a line on a 6-92 with a 740 but I'm still hoping to find an 8-92. 

As far as what happened, its pretty obvious that the stupid operator let the engine get hot and cooked it.  It has used a little water as long as we have owned it but nothing has ever showed up in the oil analysis which led me to believe that the water was leaking out in the hydronic system.  Now I'm not so sure about that but ultimately it doesn't matter.  It got hot, I didn't catch it soon enough & I cooked it.  End of story.

Anybody with a known history 8-92 that they want to get rid of please call me at three zero six - eight six two - sixty-four hundred.  Alternatively, anybody who wants an 8-92 core with an attached ten speed overdrive could call too.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:45:54 PM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »

This is what I use to keep the fleet rolling : http://busride.com/bgindex.asp   Cool
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

Timothy McDonagh has a 8v92t with supposed Out of Frame for $4500 in Conneticut  860-309-2926  860-738-3071

I know nothing of this mill or the seller - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »

HEY!

It ain't over until the fat lady sings...

Everyone will say "Oh the damage is done..." because they either don't know, or want to warm you up to take your money for the rebuild.

You won't believe the crazy stuff that be done to these motors and they show no lasting problems after repairs.

Stay sane, you got nothing but time on your hands, find the right guys and get it evaluated.

Or tow it to Luke?

Bummer.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »

Quote from: bobofthenorth

I've got a couple of good reccomendations for the local service shop so I'm going to talk to them in the AM.  I think what we are going to talk about is an R & R for a rebuilt of some description.  I've got a line on a 6-92 with a 740 but I'm still hoping to find an 8-92. 

Anybody with a known history 8-92 that they want to get rid of please call me at three zero six - eight six two - sixty-four hundred.  Alternatively, anybody who wants an 8-92 core with an attached ten speed overdrive could call too.

Hm-mm, might be a good time to call Don Fairfield and have him ship you one to the shop your looking to have do the labor!After all then you'd know what ya had, and it would be a good clean running engine for the life of your coach! Just a suggestion, but definitely something I would look into. Besides Don has been looking to get some of his fine craftsmanship back east he might even make ya good deal for bragging rights at Bussin 2009 and other events. Ya never know he might even do a tune up on it later on when your paths meet! Like I said just a suggestion, and I have no financial interest in this! (except maybe when the time comes Don may cut me some slack on the one he builds for me and brings to the next TN Bus Bash and helps install it too! LOL!)
Of course Nick @ Nimco has take outs to, but no history on what it is your getting!  FWIW Grin  BK  ;B

HEY!

It ain't over until the fat lady sings...

Everyone will say "Oh the damage is done..." because they either don't know, or want to warm you up to take your money for the rebuild.

You won't believe the crazy stuff that be done to these motors and they show no lasting problems after repairs.

Stay sane, you got nothing but time on your hands, find the right guys and get it evaluated.

Or tow it to Luke?

Bummer.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

BW posted this while I was posting! And he's exactly right! They told me the worst and that I needed a complete overhaul when mine started dumping coolant into the oil pan too! But I did that last ditch effort to be able to "baby it thru until we were released to go home from Hurricane duty & hopefully home too!"
Well guess what it made it! And not only did it make it but once home we flushed the system, had it pressure tested and found NO PROBLEMS, so we refilled it with 50/50 mixture and ran it for another year before selling it to a very happy camper from CA who for all I know is still running it that way! So by all means don't just give up and let them it is toast with out proof!   FWIW Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:29:29 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

If you are not sure, please call Luke & Bill at US Coach. Even if you get the repairs done in NY, they will still guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »

BOB!!!

You are something like 270 miles from Luke, according to our chat calculations.

There can be no other dollars better spent than to get to LUKE.

And, discount some of the tow, as it gets you closer to Arcadia without spending any fuel money.

1-856-794-3104, and get Luke to send the tow to you.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »

bob

don't believe all the bad stories about water and bad bearings.  my 6v92 ran from upper penn. back home to lenoir nc. was slow and shakey but it made it home.  got two new heads and pistons and liners. but that was cheaper than the wrecker bill would have been.  go on down to lukes if the bus will run every mile saves big bucks.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 06:14:50 AM »

Thanks guys for the slap about the head - I needed that.  We were locked into a path that I didn't like but we were going ahead with it anyway because I didn't think we had options.  I spent the last 2 hours on the phone to New Jersey with various people and we are now waiting for a wrecker to arrive to tow us to US Coach.  Mama's even got Good Sam Roadside service convinced to pick up a part of the tow bill, for whatever that may be worth.

Stay tuned for the next chapter but at least it will unfold from somewhere where we can trust the advice we receive.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
skipn

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 06:48:45 AM »

Bob,

Real bummer reading about your engine thing. When you know more
 on the extent of the damage hopefully it will be nothing more than a
 re bearing/rings and gaskets. Still expensive.

Thanks for helping our economy

Skip
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:29 AM »

Bob; you did the right thing maybe Luke can save it for you, Ned is a lucky guy most are not that lucky in the years I have been around running a 92 series with antifreeze in the oil will cost you a crank and a block line bore a major overhaul,in the 20 + grand range.   have a great day
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:38:22 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: