Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 11:17:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting rid of the smell of diesel?  (Read 4703 times)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »

The best detergent to use is DISH SOAP. 

Think about it -- this stuff is made to degrease baked-on gunk, but leave no residue after rinsing.  It's cheap, and multipurpose.  It is known to be safe to handle, with no nasty fumes, and it can be put down any sewer or septic system.  It doesn't attack aluminum, plastic or rubber.  When mixed with water, it can be applied with a sprayer and concentrations can be varied if necessary.

A poor-man's steam cleaner is a garden hose hooked up to hot water, with a siphon applicator (a couple of bucks at any garden store).  Foam down the engine, let it sit a few minutes, then hose off the soap and grime.  Repeat as necessary.

How much better can it get?
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »

I agree with BW on this. Find the source of the smell, you might have a leak in one of your fuel lines or tank. Fix it first then deal with the smell. I sorta like it myself but my wife can't stand it! Roll Eyes I'm a Leo and she's a Lady!

HTH,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »

Lin has a good point, you really don't say if it is raw diesel or exhaust? I assumed it is raw diesel because of your comments about washing it off the tank but that was an assumption.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
cody

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 03:22:25 PM »

I guess this kinda kills my idea for a 'scratch and sniff' diesel centerfold in the magazine huh.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »

I'm in favor of a diesel exhaust scratch'n  sniff!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »

yeah the smell is mostly the tank from sloppy pumping maintenance of PO.   Also as the tank is next to the heating set up so some of the fumes kind of gets into the main compartment when I run the original bus heat.  It's mostly a fuel oil/grease kind of smell from a rig that was cared for mechanically but not so much aesthetically.  I now have plenty of tips for the future.  I'm pretty sure pulling the old carpeting out is alos going to help, once I get around to installing a new floor.

txmci9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »

Go Sams, buy the little 110v pressure washer. It has 2 nozzles, 1 for high pressure, 1 for low pressure. Use the low pressure (adjustable one for soaping) with either Joy diswashing detergent or Tide liquid clothes washing detergent. You can buy a lot of high price stuff and not get rid of the smell and discoloration. I stick with what works. Bounce sheets are a good cheap coverup of odors. Pull them out of the box and spread them around. When you do the laundry, gather tem up and put them in the dryer, one or two at a time.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 06:50:28 PM »

Since I am anti-Walmart due to horrible corporate practices, I would also recommend that you return the pressure washer when done.  Consider them a lending library for tools!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »

In my MC8, I found the fuel tank leaking because the fuel had migrated through the bottom of the bulkhead and into the stock HVAC cavity. Turned on the coach heat, and was flooded with the stink of raw diesel.

Silver lining: it put a stop to being in Arcadia when it was only 10 degrees warmer than here....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »

yeah the smell is mostly the tank from sloppy pumping maintenance of PO.   Also as the tank is next to the heating set up so some of the fumes kind of gets into the main compartment when I run the original bus heat.  It's mostly a fuel oil/grease kind of smell from a rig that was cared for mechanically but not so much aesthetically.  I now have plenty of tips for the future.  I'm pretty sure pulling the old carpeting out is alos going to help, once I get around to installing a new floor.

Zub I ain't familiar with GM's much if that's what ya got! But if they are like MCI's and the heat & A/C exchangers/cores/evaporators are sandwiched between the fuel tank and the front bay I'd open the access panel to them and seriously go to town cleaning this area over and over with DAWN dishwashing liquid! DAWN is the best grease cutting agent I know of! (I also love the stuff called Spray Power http://www.spraypower.com/ too, but I think for the area we are talking about DAWN is best!). Once this area is clean it should take the odor out of the coach! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »

Since I am anti-Walmart due to horrible corporate practices, I would also recommend that you return the pressure washer when done.  Consider them a lending library for tools!

I dunno which Walmart corporate practices are as bad as stealing -- which is what you are advocating. You want to steal the value of the item that you buy, use, then return.

You won't hurt Walmart anyhow, the cost is borne by the company that makes the stuff you are taking back, especially if there are so many returns for unsuitability that they get dropped as a vendor.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

BG6,

Then learn about Walmart.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

gus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »

Lin,

I detest WM corporate practices as much as the next person and I don't live far from their headquarters. However, this does not require that I be unethical or dishonest just in spite. The overall effect of what you suggest just ends up costing us all more to shop there.

I live in such a small town that WM is just about our only option and a lot of our friends depend on WM for jobs even as poorly as they are paid and treated.

And they do allow us free parking, not many businesses do that.

I make no excuses for WM practices but they are improving even if it is mostly under pressure from bad publicity. They are also losing a lot of very expensive lawsuits so maybe someday the top dogs will get the message.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gyrocrasher

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

BG6,

Then learn about Walmart.

http://http://www.walmartmovie.com/

2 hours later....VERY interesting. Makes me think.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »

Gus,

Obviously we are off topic.  I am aware of the ethical issues that you allude to and do not think that a particular cause gives one the right to indiscriminately be unethical, but a little bit of subversion is good for the heart.  I do not see this as dishonest or unethical though.  I see it more like an act of civil disobedience and, like voting, an important (even if insignificant) stand for what one believes to be right.  There are those that become distressed when a serial killer or mass murdered complains his rights are being violated.  I sort of wonder whether he has forfeit those rights.  If a rapist spares a woman's life because she promised she would not tell, is she obligated to keep her word?  If a medication that I can not afford is needed to save my daughter's life and all legal attempts to acquire it have failed, is it more unethical to steal or to let my daughter die?  This is far afield, but ethics can be more involved than people think.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: