Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buses - The Economy - BCM  (Read 7907 times)
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »

Dear readers and supporters of Bus Conversions Magazine,

Times are tough, as we all are experiencing. At Bus Conversions Magazine we also had to make tough choices. Go out of business (after 18 years, I think not) or reduce cost. We've choosen to reduce cost and have reduce our page count to save on printing and mailing costs. The green thing to do.

Nationwide, advertisers are pulling ads, newspapers and magazines are dying, and companies from a variety of industries are closing their doors. Things look bleak. But what can we do?

I feel the same as many and have been afraid to spend money. I contemplated this and concluded that this type of thinking makes me part of the problem. So I have decided to change.

Last week, I started construction on a new Limo Bus conversion. Do I have a buyer?  No, I do not. Does the market look good for a Limo Bus? No, it does not. But, if I build one, I will be buying lots of materials and keeping people employed. These employees will spend their money and the circle will build.

Will I have a buyer someday? I hope. I believe that the sooner people start spending money, the sooner we can begin recovery. It would have been much easier for me to just say “No.”  I am just as broke and in debt as the next guy,  but I am making a commitment to grow and not cower in spite of these economic challenges.

When individuals or companies email me and regretfully cancel their ads, I suggest to them to reduce the size of their advertisement, but to not just close their doors to the market place.

As you may have heard, the magazine has a new web master and editor who are committed to growing and improving the magazine and the website. As such, if you or someone you know is a bus nut and is not subscribing to our magazine, or is sharing a subscription order, encourage them to “get their own.”  If you buy products or services for your bus from someone and they do not advertise in the magazine, suggest to them to support it with a subscription. It’s a small price at $38 per year. Maybe encourage them to purchase an ad that can be placed for as little as $25 per month. This small price will go a long way in helping keep emotions up. You can do it on line now by going to BCM home page and click the subscribe button, for either the print addition or the online version.

It is my hope that we can all contribute in some way and that our collective efforts can help keep the bus conversions industry rolling along. So go ahead,  dust off the bus, purchase a part, and finish another to do item on the bus list. Then take her for a spin, you'll feel better.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Holiday Greetings, and a great New Year full of bus miles!

Thanks for your continued support and helpful suggestions.
Mike (MAK)

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »

Thanks Mike

I also keep spending ( not over spending ) and keep the employees as busy as possible and like you said that keeps it all moving.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »

Mike well put! And I have to admit I have let my subscription expire, and was worried as to where the mag was going with the prior announcement made that it was for sale. So I for one will be RE-SUBSCRIBING and I too encourage all others who were skeptical like I was to do the same! It is encouraging to read your post about the direction you took and the chances you are taking as a fellow business man.

Thanks for all you have done, do and are planning to continue to do for us busnuts!

By the way when you get that limo bus done call me I'll be glad to bring it out here in the Midwest and work it and advertise it for you! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »

Thanks Mike, that is a very possitive post!
And thanks for all you do!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »

Mike,

Please add my gratitude for the services you provide.

Happy Holiday Season to you and yours,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:34:22 AM »

Mike I doubt you can ever fully understand how valuable a resource this forum is.  Two nights ago when we were stranded my absolute first thought was "get something posted on the MAK board and wait for some help to roll in".  I did and it did.  I literally sat here and tapped refresh for the first hour after I put up the request for help.  I got online advice, phone calls and ultimately a slap across the head which got me back on track.  Most importantly the diverse experience and thought processes always leads to better decisions if we are open to it.

Thank you. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Eagle78550
Above All... Eagle

93 Eagle 15-45

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »

I totally agree with the valuable resource that this board is ...for all makes and models and all forms of bus nuts ...I have been a supporter of this mag and this board ...I have been a subscriber but let my subscription lapse for various reasons but I feel compelled in these time to re-new to show my support ..and I will do that ...I remember one of the first shows I attended in Laughlin was a great time and the information was great. We need this mag and forum for the next generation of bus nuts and conversions, whether you do it yourself or buy one already done this forum and the mag are truly priceless. .....just my .02 FWIW 
cody

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:38:58 AM »

The board is priceless to me, it's a great group of people, the magazine hasn't proven to me to be much of a resource, possibly if some of the issues actually arrived it would be better, I'll probably renew my subscription just because I feel an obligation to contribute something but when you've received 7 of the last 13 issues it doesn't give a person much incentive.  the tag shows my subscription ends on january 8th, the last issue I recieved was the august issue, I really hoped to recieve the november issue because of an article that was there but didn't happen even after chad offered to send me the  electronic version of it.  Like I said tho I'll probably continue but like my wife said, concider it a donation rather than a payment and it's easeir to justify.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »

The board is priceless to me, it's a great group of people, the magazine hasn't proven to me to be much of a resource, possibly if some of the issues actually arrived it would be better, I'll probably renew my subscription just because I feel an obligation to contribute something but when you've received 7 of the last 13 issues it doesn't give a person much incentive.  the tag shows my subscription ends on january 8th, the last issue I recieved was the august issue, I really hoped to recieve the november issue because of an article that was there but didn't happen even after chad offered to send me the  electronic version of it.  Like I said tho I'll probably continue but like my wife said, concider it a donation rather than a payment and it's easeir to justify.

Shoot you wuz even a big time star in it once! Shoot that should be good for like just sending in a donation for like a life time subscription or something! I mean you should be able to get a fair rate on one, I'd say about the cost of a "Moose Creek Cabin" conversion or something like that! LOL! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »

lol yep BK, should be a good enough reason lol.  I just went to the subscription page and donated for another year lol we'll see what happens, I said in a post a while back that 7 out of 12 was a good batting average, any ball player would be proud of it, since then another issue has been missed, but like I said the forum is worth the 38 dollars alone.  Hopefully as things smooth out and the ecomomy improves, other things will get batter along with it, meanwhile I'll continue to support the effort as best I can.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:59:26 AM by cody » Logged
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »

I am not going to renew in March the BCM has nothing to offer for me, when the question was asked if the magazine was going back to be like the glory days of the 90's he told us on this board "yes" and look what happen    

have a great day
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »

I subscribed, and will renew my subscription, for the same reasons others mentioned.  I find this forum extremely valuable, so I consider my subscription to be a contribution toward maintaining the bulletin board.  If the magazine continues to improve (I like the more streamlined version, less waste), so much the better.  I get much more value from here than the cost of the subscription - and I believe in paying when I receive value.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »

OK guys what does the board have to do with the magazine, it is free software, volunteers run the board and it has been pointed out time and time again it cost very little run. I bet the ads at the bottom of the page more than cover the cost of running this board , just a question ? and a statement

have a great day
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:28:17 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »

WHAT, IF ANY, WOULD IT HELP IF EACH BUS NUT THAT READS THIS FORUM CONTRIBUTES A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY$1 TO$5 TO CONTINUE THIS BOARD. MANY TIMES I READ THIS EACH DAY FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT AND THE INFORMATION.  SAVINGS ON MY REMODEL AND REPAIRS HAVE BEEN ENJOYED. THE CAMARADIE HAS BEEN ENJOYED AS WELL AS INFORMATION ON BUS ROUNDUPS WHERE I MET SOME VERY INTERESTING PEOPLE. IF A WEB SITE WAS SET UP FOR CONTRIBUTIONS WAS DEVELOPED, I WILL CONTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »

How does one go about renewing? I tried & haven't heard back nor has my account been charged . . . . .

As for the connection between the board & magazine . . . .
What is it about this board that separates it from all the others? The other boards have great people too . . . .
My opinion is the magazine is the tangible base that provides an anchor/ foundation for this board.

As for the adds at the bottom, seems a lot of them are from MAK. . . . .
The same MAK that pays the cost associated with this board? ? ?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: