Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 02:01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shorted battery in parallel set  (Read 3704 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »

Cole-Hersee makes a heavy duty battery switch that we used on our Fire apparatus.  It has a separate connection for each battey positve cable as well as an "power out" connection.  Switch can be set for BATT 1, BATT 2, ALL, or OFF.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:26:05 AM »

Just a note on My batteries.  When I get back from arcadia I will have a method of disconnecting each battery in My house battery bank for sure.  Waiting for a meltdown to cease is beyond dangerous.  When I discovered the fumes from a shorted boiling battery there was no way to disconnect the other seven batteries for fear of an explosion.  Not sure just how I am going to accomplish this yet.  John
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »

Just a note on My batteries.  When I get back from arcadia I will have a method of disconnecting each battery in My house battery bank for sure.  Waiting for a meltdown to cease is beyond dangerous.  When I discovered the fumes from a shorted boiling battery there was no way to disconnect the other seven batteries for fear of an explosion.  Not sure just how I am going to accomplish this yet.  John

Trust me while your at Arcadia you will have many example to look at! Once you find the one you like ask the owner questions and where to get this and that and you'll have it made!  FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 12:10:27 PM »

John,
    look me up at Arcadia and I show you my battery disconnect switch.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »

Junkman,

I agree, separate disconnects are the only really safe way to go.

I use "green knob" disconnects from WM, JCW or your local farm store for aroung $5-7 which clamp onto a battery post.

The only problem I ever had is with the knobs sometimes vibrating closed when I had them off. The solution to this is heavy rubber bands!

Also, don't put a lot of down pressure on the battery cable at the clamp when the disconnects are off because they are a bit weak when open.

I always carry a spare or two just in case but have never had one fail on the bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:16 PM »

Be sure you get hardware that is properly rated...

How much amperage is passing through each of these, and is the hardware sufficient?

You may find there is an economic reason why there are not numerous battery cut-off switches employed in other set-ups.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: