Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 07:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to land a job driving entertainer coaches?  (Read 12505 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

LOL I tryed ,I'm done.Good luck IMINACCESS in finding a good gig  ;)and don't take no for an answer,keep on keepin on Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »

i appreciate your effort bike whisperer! i trust your judgement over circusboys :-)

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »

i appreciate your effort bike whisperer! i trust your judgement over circusboys :-)
you can believe who you whant 2 but I had job offers 2 drive entertainer coachs & stil ave connections n the industry I already went there & lived the dream driving 24pax hummers, escalade, 14 pax superstretch etc. (2 years. I also drove 18 wheelers for many moving companies. lived there 2 years.)I know what I'm talking aboot here. I all ready hold class A wtrailer air brakes p endorsements . I got them out in Vegas doing exactly what I'm telling you aboot.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:43:20 AM by circusboy90210 » Logged
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »

Huh Cheesy Lips Sealed I guess thats understandable having so many jobs in as little as 2 years ,in an area where the industry has such a high turn over rate ::)of inexperienced employees ,and ones that are just passing through Wink.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:00:30 PM by THE BIKE WHISPERER » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »

FWIW the state of NEVADA currently has no provisions for an air brake endorsement on a CDL(class A),check the back of your CDL CLASS A NEVADA License certificate ,but you already must have forgotten that ,having had taken the CDL class and all ,I can hardly see how Huh Wink Grin,any way here's a copy of said endorsements for the folks that would really like to know and just incase you(clo/by) misplaced yours living your dream , as most of us seasoned drivers do LOL.Have a nice day.

P.S. As you clearly should remember also Shocked the only trailer endorsements are for doubles and triples (class A CDL),but you alredy knew that! out here
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:27:16 PM by THE BIKE WHISPERER » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »

Kiss .

circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

FWIW the state of NEVADA currently has no provisions for an air brake endorsement on a CDL(class A),check the back of your CDL CLASS A NEVADA License certificate ,but you already must have forgotten that ,having had taken the CDL class and all ,I can hardly see how Huh Wink Grin,any way here's a copy of said endorsements for the folks that would really like to know and just in case you(clo/by) misplaced yours living your dream , as most of us seasoned drivers do LOL.Have a nice day.

P.S. As you clearly should remember also Shocked the only trailer endorsements are for doubles and triples (class A CDL),but you already knew that! out here

wow how old is that licence ?mine had a bar code on the back 2005-2007. also my exp driving big rigs was on a CD learners permit. however I worked 2 jobs out there. but knew folks in many companies & worked under a lot of tables as good help is hard 2find. but this does not detract from my experience. I operated on cdl class B pax for bus 24 pax hummers,escalades & superstreches.however through my various industry contacts Icould have done entertainer coaches.(still can)
cody

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:28 AM »

I operated on cdl class B pax for bus 24 pax hummers,escalades & superstreches.however through my various industry contacts Icould have done entertainer coaches.(still can)
[/quote] I all ready hold class A wtrailer air brakes p endorsements . I got them out in Vegas doing exactly what I'm telling you aboot.
[/quote]   Huh?  (sorry, couldn't get the quotes to quote lol)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:56:04 AM by cody » Logged
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »

[/quote]   Huh?   Cheesy Smiley
 Cheesy

cody

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 07:54:54 AM »

yeah, yeah, just becuase i'm buttugly, doesn't mean I'm smart lol.  I was trying to quote both of CB's statements but to edit them. lol
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »

I have been avoiding this one like the plague, since the last time Clownboy and I disagreed on something it turned uncivil.
But I have had a Class A CDL with ALL endorsements since before they became mandatory in 1991! I got mine in 1990 7 or 8 months before the law made them mandatory for all commercial drivers.
And to be honest Clownboy for what it is worth I was not aware of the severe lack of, and desperate need for quality drivers out in the Vegas area!
The CDL's were supposed to improve the quality of professional drivers on the road, but in reality it did the exact opposite! It took many, many an old time hand who could very skillfully handle any rig anywhere off the road and forced them into early retirement or some other field of work where an uneducated man could make a living. Many of those old timers had trouble passing the written exams simply because they could not comprehend the tricky twisted questions on paper. Had they been asked the questions in a simple manner, they could have passed no problem. Had they been allowed to "Grandfather Clause" the written exam and taken a skills exam (instead of "Grandfathering" on the skills test) they would have again passed! If you ask me it was truly unfair that the "Grandfather Clause" did not go both ways!
Now having made that clear yes I passed each and every written test in flying colors all in on test session at the same time! I only went once while some of my coworkers at the time went 5 or 6 times just for the basic exam. They were not dumb, or inexperienced, but rather mostly older men who had been making a living driving for 20 or 30 yrs and had not had much formal education. But I can assure you that they could have passed the skills test fast enough to spin the examiner's heads had they been given a chance! Now I on the other hand "Grandfathered" on the skills test because I did infact pass the written exams and had been employed in the transportation business for 5 or more yrs at the time and had #1) the "chauffeurs" license of the day to prove it, #2) I had not 1 but 3 employers who I currently worked for, and had previously had worked for that signed the papers stating that I was more than qualified for the license I was applying for.
Now Dallas, Van, Clifford, BW, Jack Hart, Bob Gil and many others (I'm sorry I don't know of everybody) who have earned their living as professional driver! (and to those of you that have I mean no disrespect to any of you!) Can tell you that back in the day we were "just driver's" none of us had to proclaim ourselves as "Professional Drivers" ! But the minute they made CDL's mandatory truck driving schools popped up everywhere and started spitting out "Professional CDL Drivers" by the dozens! They would take these guy & gals and put them thru a 45 day course (at first now they are down to 2 weeks) and give them a license and tell them they were as good as an experienced hand with 2yrs experience under his belt in the 45 days they had been trained! Truck drivers today are not the quality of truck driver we had before the CDL! Also before the CDL we did not have the # of crashes we have today!
So just because you have a class A CDL with or with out ANY endorsements does not make you a "Professional Driver" it merely says you passed a test and got a license! Most of us who are experienced drivers cringe when we hear folks say "Professional driver" because today it means a 14 day wonder and not a true professional !! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »

Yup, Yup, Yup, Yup... I agree totally BK. You hit the nail on the head. Some of the "professional" school bus drivers are a joke. I agree. It takes practice. You guys with the years of driving experience, are many times more equipped than the "professional" drivers that are coming out of "school" nowadays. Ever wonder why some of the wrecks happen???....

I won't ramble any more...

Iminacess, just look for the right job, keep driving, and you will land in a good job eventually.... And don't go to Vegas. They don't need drivers that badly...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
cody

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »

Schools can't teach common sence either, to be able to spot a trailer comes from practice and actually doing it over and over, it takes time to become a driver, it's just not something that can happen over night, I marvel at the skill some rvers show as they back into a site then I wonder just how much of it was luck and how much was skill.  I've been running around since 1976 with every thing from travel trailers to class a's and for the last 6 years a bus, I tucked it into some tight places but I wouldn't call myself a driver yet.  I almost did when I run the bus thru the older part of Union City, only afterwards did it I was told that the turns are too tight and the streets to narrow to take a bus thru, much less with a jeep on behind it.  Wish I had known that before hand lol.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »

BK,good point there bud,I first went to a school back in 1976 Driver training institute (Green point,Brooklyn,NY City(yeah I know git-a-rope Cheesy)the thing is it was for 3 months and was taught by some of the oldest ,punchiest and experienced drivers available.I'll never forget learning to operate a clutch in an old B-type mack using the infamous chop sticks,garante ed to take an arm off coming out of a turn while shifting gears and ranges simultaneously and no power steering,the elder hands know what I mean.Any way The guy carried a cane and if he caught your foot any where in close proximity to the clutch WACK!,he would strike the steering wheel withit and scream about how much a replacement clutch would cost,most of the time he would miss and crack you in the leg(very effective learning).

The point of all of this ,is that learning back then you got the whole garbestanzo of experience pasted on to you in a manner you would never expect nor forget(ever).When the tests eventually evolved into the standards that exist today just my luck some states were not honoring cdl's from the eastern states ,and would have to take the battery of written tests that they conjured up,plus the usual state laws test plus the motorcycle written tests etc,and all of them were now on computer.

the only thing I can figure is more control for the government,and more experienced drivers put to the side lines(very sad).I too started very young into this was only 18 at the time and had waited 2 and a half years to go to this school.finding work was frustrating but eventually got work and experience by hopping around the us driving for OO's ,they were glad to have you aboard so long as you were not boring and could work the tranny with out detonating it.eventually work came more readily as I became 21 but was still a little hard due to the restrictions placed by insurance Co's.My first steady job was yard driver for Key Foods in Bklyn ,I would watch the long haul guys come in off the road tired ,and to frustrated to alley dock these big wheel base conventionals .I would eventually approach them offering to assist them ,they would jump out and tell me if I could get the rig in that Little hole they'd toss me a twenty .Well as luck would have it that's all I did all day long so helping these fellas was kinda fun ,and profitable too!

In closing the experience of it all made me real good at what I do .first place at every rodeo I threw my hat into,never a redo.So BK I'm gonna agree that the learning process shure has changed though.I think what they teach now a days must be multi tasking ,cause alot of younger truckers are on the cell phone reading the want ads ,jaw jacking on the CB etc ,and are good at it j,just the driving is a little shaky(not every one ).so buck up young bucaroo's there's plenty of good work with plenty of good company's for plenty of good drivers in the plentiful of plenty's the good ol USofA Grin Oh and Cb sportin my bar code here is like posting my C-card w/pin #(show me yours and I'll show ya mine Wink,endorsements have not changed along with this new fangled license one posted is for reference,Have a great bus nut day &happy holidays .Van Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:28:44 AM by THE BIKE WHISPERER » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »

One more thing,Parallel parking was a must back then in N.Y.C for the NY class 1 Lic,you rural guys try that one on for size.touch the curb with one trailer tire and your outa there Angry

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: