Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 08:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: engine/ gen exhaust out of the roof??  (Read 2588 times)
turbobrat930

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

`So, Here I am being a newbee again.... A picture that I saw of an Eagle that was all primer gray got me thinking... Is there a way in a MCI bus to route the engine/ gen exhaust out of the top left corner of the rear cap? I think this would aid in keeping some of the exhaust soot off of a toad, and keeping the gen exhaust up and out of the sides or ground level of the bus when camping/ using the awning. I also like the looks of the exhaust coming out of the rear corner of the cap with a nice chrome tip.

If I do go with this MCI-9 that I am looking at, I will replace the front and rear caps with updated ones from RM. There should be ample room in the top of the cap... but while looking at the radiator and squirrel fan setup, I don't see where it could be done. Anyone out there thought of this before? Would going with a new, updated rear cap give me more room around the radiators, etc to run the exhaust pipe up? I could still keep the muffler down below

Or am I just thinking of stuff that falls under the old addage... if its not broke, don't fix it??

I just think that it would look unique as well as hitting on the above mentioned problems...

Brad
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:16:37 PM by turbobrat930 » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »

On my AMGeneral transit, the exhaust exits the roof at the top left.  I can see my exhaust through my left rear view mirror-helpful to keep black smoke down and to watch the health of the engine.  Highly recommend it.  Then when you start on a cold morning, your neighbors at the campground will appreciate you more.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:16:49 AM »

Brad,

Good stuff to be thinking about ahead of time.

Both are projects that can be accomplished,and are excellent ideas for the reasons already stated.

I am still thinking of putting the generator exhaust through the roof, but incorporating what will cover/disguise/hide the interior run is still evading me.  That's why thinking and planning this ahead of time is so valuable.

"Maybe just call it a heated stripper pole, nah!" Grin

Brad wrote: Or am I just thinking of stuff that falls under the old addage... if its not broke, don't fix it??

Don't stop that, that's half the fun of owning these things!  Doing it different and your own way!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »

I thought of the same thing for the generator but my gen will be in the first bay behind my driver seat and coming up through the interior I would have to box it in and super insulate it some how to prevent a fire and excess heat. Also you cannot make super long runs on gen exhaust. My Onan gen manual says to keep the exhaust no more than five feet. 

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:35:18 AM »

Think about the problem if you have an exhaust leak.  I have seen a couple of  Blue Birds that have had fires in the rear because of exhaust leaks.  Also everytime you start there is a puff of soot that comes out of the generator and engine.  This will get on your coach and your next door coach.  I think they look good and are used on some coaches.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

I think I saw someone had an mci (?) where the pipes come out the top rear of the engine bay and then up the back end of the bus.  Looks kinda cool was done when they added a turbo (turbos?) and it was easier getting the smoke out that way.

turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »

zubzub, I saw that picture as well... kinda looked like semi exhaust stacks coming straight out of the rear of the engine cover. I really didn't like that. I just wanted everything to be hidden and then have a nice curved chrome tip popping out of the left rear corner of the cap. I could make a metal channel inside of the cap along the rounded corner. That way it shields the rest of the interior of the cap from heat, and possible exhaust leaks. I just dont see any room though. Looking up there where I want to do it, There is the left radiator and squirrel fan there that are in the way. Was thinking that a newer style RM cap would have more room than that of the stock cap.
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »

Here is the picture I was referring to. This is the way I would like mine to look like.

CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »

what comes out of the exhaust is it heavier or lighter than air??

servant for JESUS CHRIST
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »

Hot air rises.  Because the exhaust gas is hotter than the ambient air, it will rise until it reaches a point where it is the same temperature as the ambient air. I am not sure about the vapor densities of the individual gases the make up the exhaust.  Solids such as carbon is heavier than air and will fall .
      Running a vertical stack like the one in the photo is a lot more difficult on an MCI because of the radiator locations.  Jack
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:30:07 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »

Running a vertical stack like the one in the photo is a lot more difficult on an MCI because of the radiator locations.  Jack

And there in lies my question... Anyone with a MCI bus that has a different rear cap on it care to respond. Is there enough room to make this work? Is there enough room the way that the radiator is situated right now? Since I am not familiar yet with how things are situated back there, I dont personally know if there is room. Hopefully there is...
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »

If i remember right, a couple of years ago at one of the BUS'N USA rallies there was a 5A that had the exhaust running up thru the roof.  Anybody else remember that?  I think it was white with green trim and was called BlackJack.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »

Brad -

If you want to run the exhaust up thru the roof on an MCI, you need to buy either an "E" or "J" model, with the low side-mounted radiator like the ones pictured below.  Or buy a Prevost or Eagle. . .

There's not enough room in the squirrel cage compartment on the high-radiator mount models, and very little extra room between the expanded metal radiator opening and the radiators themselves.  Plus, on the driver's side, you've also got the engine air intake plenum to contend with.

One other thing, that hasn't been mentioned yet, and is actually quite important when behind the wheel, and that's being able to monitor the exhaust while hill-climbing.  With a low mounted exhaust like OEM, as you climb the hill, you can see when the engine starts blowing black smoke, prompting you for a downshift.  One heck of a lot harder to see a roof mount blowin' smoke, unless you add an additional mirror just for that purpose.

BTW, that coach that's got the roof exhaust that you posted looks like a Model 01 Eagle.  Oh, and the reason most transit buses have roof exhausts are to keep complaints from the public at a minimum in urban areas. . .

As for the genset exhaust, lots of folk simply have removable extensions that hang on the rain drip rail while parked - KISS principle. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Songman

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »

I'm not going to run the exhaust through of the Eagle but I am planning on putting an air intake up there to get a good supply of fresh air. And since my generator will be in a compartment beside the engine, I plan to run the gen exhaust through the regular engine exhaust out the back of the bus. Should make it quieter and also keep it away from other bus nuts when parked.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »

Running the genset exhaust thru the regular engine exhaust pipe isn't recommended by a lot of folks.  I've been told that soot and moisture in the genset exhaust will get into your bus motor thru open exhaust valves - even further back if both an intake and an exhaust valve are open, and mess up your engine.  And the opposite will happen when your'e driving and the gene is off.

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: