Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:53:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: engine/ gen exhaust out of the roof??  (Read 2567 times)
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »

Boogie, that is a good point... One that I had not thought of until you had brought it up.

Songman, in what you are planning to do, what about putting the gen exhaust into the engine exhaust near the tailpipe at an angle? If it was at an angle, say 45 deg or so, the exhaust from the gen, when it is running would have to do a 180 to go back up into the engine, as well as traverse through the muffler, etc. And when the bus engine is running, the bus exhausht would have to do the same thing. If the exhaust takes the path of least resistance, I think it would have a hard time causing problems....
turbobrat930

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »

I understand that it is going to be nearly impossible to do the roof exhaust on a MCI-9...but, nothing is impossible. If I do get the -9, I will investigate the possibility and report back. I really want my exhaust up there, as well as the gen exhaust. There has got to be away.......
Songman

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »

Yeah, there are ways that I think it could work, but thanks for bringing up those points. My exhaust will eventually redone back there anyway but there is a long run of exhaust as it is. I think I have plenty of pipe to keep the gen exhaust from going back into the engine. And I agree that running into the exhaust at an angle would help keep engine exhaust from going into the generator. But I don't want to go too near the tailpipe because I want it to be far enough back up the pipe to help squelch the sound. But if I decide down the road that it won't work, it won't be hard to just run it separate.
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:25 AM »

I consider going through the roof when I converted my MCI 8.  I decided not to because of the complexity.  Here is what you could do.

Run the exhaust up and over the drive axle taking into account the axle travel.
Install the "up" pipe forward of the radiator compartment and air intake (this may be in your closet)
Use a solid exhaust going up, with no joints, to avoid CO intrusion
Put a small hole at the bottom of the exhaust pipe for moisture drainage.

For safety, use a second pipe (open at top and bottom) outside the exhaust pipe that is 3" or 4" larger diameter. This would keep heat radiated from the exhaust pipe, to be "chimneyed" up also

Design some kind of seal at top, around the larger pipe, to avoid water getting into your closet
Seal the OD of the larger pipe at the bottom to prevent CO intrusion
Design flexibility into the pipes and seals because as they heat, they will expand and lengthen

If possible, use stainless pipe to avoid corrosion.

This design is a challenge.  However, I feel it is necessary from a safety standpoint.  I did see a new coach burned at the FMCA rally at Notre Dame years ago.   Also, I think a new Liberty burned a year or so ago (kept pretty quiet). 

Just be meticulous in your design and execution.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: