Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 01:00:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leak detection  (Read 3309 times)
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »

One of the recent threads about finding leaks with soapy water started me thinking and that's a dangerous thing. My Newell, and most Newells have the same issues. I have used gallons of soapy water, but cannot find all the leaks.

What are you're thoughts on pressurizing the air system with R-134a and using a leak detector?

Has anyone ever done anything like this, or used an alternate method besides the soapy water?

My thought process is that if I am not finding it with the soapy water, then it is a leak I cannot see. Using a leak detector may get me close to the source.

Would love to know your thoughts.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »

Richard,

I am looking forward to the responses. I was the one who said that I have used a ton of soapy water...To little avail so far. But I will start again when it warms up.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

Somewhere out there in Google search land is a detector for air leaks. It is a small hand held device which detects leaks by sound.

Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »

I don't see why it wouldn't work.  In the "old days", we tested waveguide by filling it with freon at 3-5 psi and we could find leaks 250 feet up a tower with a "squealer".

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »

I would be concerned that the oil in R-134A would attack the air lines from within and cause a failure, some one on the board may know the makeup of R-134A,,,,Nick??   >>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

I'm with John316 on this. Can't wait for the responses Grin Everytime it rains soap suds drifts out from beneath the bus LOL Grin How about connecting an LP tank to the air system and just sniffing around for the gas leaks Shocked Shocked Maybe use just a really small cigarette lighter and look for a really small flame? Roll Eyes Don't want any big flames under the bus, you know Huh Sorry, now I'm just being fecetious Wink
Seriously, though, does anyone know of anything that can be put in the air system to make it easier to find leaks? I definitely like the idea! Grin Grin Thanks, Will
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:55:14 PM by PP » Logged

DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

Just thought, there is a product on the market for checking for gas leaks,
I bought some from a local Ace hardware store, it bubbles but tiny bubbles,
it seems to locate very small leaks.  It works for me.
Blessings,
David
PD4104-2977
Winton, CA
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »

All my leak check is done with cap full of dishwashing liquid and water in spray bottle. Compress air in line and spray all joints until a bubble shows. Large leaks...large bubbles. Very small leaks... very tiny white bubbles that grow to a gob after a few minutes.

After all leaks been check & repaired...vacuum with strong a/c oil bath vacuum pump to nearly 30 inch of mercury. You can never reach 30 inch of mercury which is perfect vacuum. No leaks in the system if hold steady for 30 minutes.

Read the paragraph of A little more on moisture removal (left click)
Water boil at 10F when vacuumize to 29.86 inch of mercury at sea level.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »

They do make electronic air leak detectors.  I will bring mine to Jacks rally if anyone would like to use it.  They can be a hard to find even with the electronic detector. 
Been trying to find all mine for over 20 years and I don't even have air bags.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 05:39:06 AM »

I always have our electronic leak detector in our bus also, if anyone wants to try using it at Bussin' 09.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

I use this stuff for all my leak problem, & work gooooooooood because it don't run away easy:
 http://www.ackits.com/c/bigblu/Big+Blu+Liquid+Leak+Detector.html
         wrench
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 06:41:18 AM »

I was just thinking (ouch!) that if you let the bus completely run down so all the bags are deflated, then introduce R-134 as a gas into the compressor intake with the bus running, that it would get into every part of the air system with on oil introduced.  A leak detector might work quite well after all the gas has dissipated from around the compressor.

FWIW
Len

Hand Made Gifts

wrench

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »

OK, the race to hallucination is open!!   I favor a smoke bomb(like the skydiver use) & along with Len idea having the smoke sniff by the compressor should allow to video the leak!! (future information bank).
        wrench
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »

Well now you're just blowing smoke Roll Eyes

Hand Made Gifts

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »

I was just thinking (ouch!) that if you let the bus completely run down so all the bags are deflated, then introduce R-134 as a gas into the compressor intake with the bus running, that it would get into every part of the air system with on oil introduced.  A leak detector might work quite well after all the gas has dissipated from around the compressor.

FWIW
Len

Len most of the guys I know who are GREAT at working on bus A/C systems use dry nitrogen to test for leaks because it is # 1 cheaper by far than 134, # 2 it is safer than 134 as it is a dry and "neutral" gas, which will not create problems with other types of gas, #3 they can charge it up to a fairly high pressure without having to run the system and still use a "sniffer" to detect leaks quickly and accurately!
Now with that said I have not heard of any of them trying this on a regular air system, but I guess it could work!

I always use the liquid bubble stuff sold in the toy department for kids to use for blowing bubbles. I put it in a spray bottle, and then I spray and spray away while the system is hooked to shop air! Once the bubble stuff hits the right spot you'll know it because it bubble like mad!

I do like the idea of trying smoke and will have to borrow a buddy's smoke machine to try it!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: