Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parting Out a Transit Fast  (Read 1750 times)
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »

We have had a 1966 GMC 4519 Transit for a few years now, intending to do a conversion. Well, I have not had the space to do it, so it has sat, being started every few months and driven around the far it's stored at.
Well, we are now moving to a place where we'll finally have space to do a conversion, but are short on cash. So, irony of irony, we have decided to part out the coach to raise the rest of the money to move on.

It's a running coach, air suspension, brakes, and drive train all work. The electrical system is a total loss so I have wired in a battery, started solenoid and ignition switch to start it with.

So, my question is when do I stop stripping parts and just drag the thing to a scrap yard and get $100 a ton for it?

It's got a 6V71 and a 2 speed auto, no power steering. It has the has housing above the rear window, and all the glass is intact except the glass in the front door. The rear does and steps have been removed by the previous owner and just a house style entry door. All the seats are gone except the drivers, which has the adjustable air suspension on it.

I know the blower in easily worth $250-$350 by itself. Past that, what parts have a high enough value that it would sell in a week or so.

I'm thinking the alternator, starter, windows, drivers seat, and maybe the cylinder heads are a pretty quick sale, then cut off the aluminum roof and drag the rest on a flat bed, probably in 2 sections since once I cut off the aluminum from the roof, I doubt it will stay together for a tow to the scrap yard!

Any other parts that would be of quick value other that their weight in scrap?

We need to convert this coach into as much cash as we can, and have from Jan 12 to the first week in Feb 2009 to do it.

Thanks
Keith
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »

Is this bus in Munising, Mi ?

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

Donate it to your local transportation museum for the Tax write off. Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »

Sojourner, the bus in in Remus MI, just about half way between Mt. Pleasant and Big Rapids.

Ednj, a tax writeoff won't put any cash in my and in January or early Febuary. If time weren't as big a deal as it is, that's a good idea.
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:47:35 PM »

I will donat $1,000 if it drivesup 2 my doorstep on it'sown power(by my doorstep I mean the storage @the end of my street)lol
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »

Keith,
Why not load id with full of stuff and drive it where your going? It'll hold as much or more than a uhaul and once you get where your going it can be a temp storage shed, sold or parted out! It will be cheaper than renting a uhal since you already own it! FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin

PS when you get to where yer moving to have circusboy come pick it up for the low donation of say $1000 +/- ! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:02:25 PM »

Unfortunately, not much on the bus is worth anything.  The 6V-71 quite possibly has 2 valve heads, the 2 speed trans is worthless-so you should be looking at the bus as how much is it worth per pound?  Circusboy has the best offer I believe.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 05:09:06 AM »

Keith...Remus MI is not far from my home town of Owosso.

About parting is good idea if you have the time and work in the freezing climate. If it out side in the snow will take more time.

Here the update of recycle material prices.

Hope everything will go well for you.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »

You may want to look into the scrap market a little closer.  I know the spot price looks decent but...all of the yards around will not pay anything.  You can "dump it off but we can't pay you anything for it".  Nice huh?
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »

most scrap yards will want anything bigger than a pickup cut up b4 they will take it. however @ current prices that bus would scrap @ about $960(if that much)(scrap dealers r a shysty bunch I trust them even less) but I would sell whatever I could out of it first as usable are usually worth more than scrap value.  Cool
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »

You may want to look into the scrap market a little closer.  I know the spot price looks decent but...all of the yards around will not pay anything.  You can "dump it off but we can't pay you anything for it".

That's been my experience as well.  Unless you know how to sort the metal to their satisfaction most yards aren't interested in paying more than a token if that.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: