Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quotes  (Read 4136 times)
Blacksheep

« on: December 20, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is rediculous!
Ace
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is rediculous!
Ace
>
>
Ace,
That is so when the Moderators delete 1 the other is still there.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
gyrocrasher

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »

Well, I always thought it was to show EXACTLY which words or thoughts one was replying to. Smiley
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is ridiculous!
Ace

Me. I always use it for saying exactly who I am responding to... Grin Like I just wanted to respond to your post so I quoted you... Grin Grin Grin (sorry I couldn't resist)

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

Ace my friend,

It's a personal choice. You have brought this up before. I think it helps to make reference so people don't get mixed up and not understand. Especially when you compose a post and someones posts beats yours. Archiving is another example, so when a search is done the thought is complete.

It's like the old saying "Do It Your Way", it applies here to. Wink

My two cents,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Blacksheep

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »

What I'm trying to say is its ok to quote someone but does everyone that replies have to quote the whole entire post?
Ace
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

Ace only if the post is over 100 words or more LOL Cheesy,just wouldnt make any sense to quote the pertinent key sentences Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

I like to quote so folks know exactly what I am replying to.  Most of the time I trim the message I quoted unless it is only a sentence or two.

You will notice I didn't quote this time because I am replying to the thread in general and not a specific post in the thread.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »

Uh oh,
Now I know what else I can do to annoy you.   Cool Roll Eyes

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

You should of kept that cat in the bag . . .
 Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »

Uh Kyle, I didn't say it was annoying! What I DID say was, it's rediculous! Especially when, for example, a poster post a thread by asking a question. A replier comes on and gives his opinion in say 100 words give or take. A second replier comes in and quotes the whole 100 words from the original replier, word for word, NOT just a line or two but the whole thing and then adds his reply. Then to top it off, another replier comes in and quotes the whole thing over yet again adding his reply. This goes on and on in some post which to me waste time scrolling to see the actual reply that was intended not to mention pages of postings where there may be say, 15 to a page with normal replies but when you start adding repeated quotes on almost every reply, your now down to say 5 or 6 per page before it starts a new page!
You may think your annoying me but it's actually pretty funny to sit and watch what really goes on from day to day. I kind of see why some people would rather just lurk than participate as many of the old (not as in age) regulars have chosen to do! Take a good look at WHO really comes on and post responses or ask questions. It's appears to be the same hand full. Where have all the regulars gone? Using a Blackberry on a regular basis to read the board gets tiring to read the same quotes over and over just to be able to decipher where in the post the reply is! Oh am I the ONLY one using a Blackberry? Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Carry on fella's...

It was just a question with no intent for it to change! Just trying to enlighten those that just HAVE to copy another one's whole post!

Ace
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »

Using a Blackberry on a regular basis to read the board gets tiring to read the same quotes over and over just to be able to decipher where in the post the reply is! Oh am I the ONLY one using a Blackberry? Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about!
Ace

Now I see what your point is. Yes a long post would be hard to follow on the small screen of cell phone.

I having enough trouble to read my phone for times and yet have to be in shaded area.

On the other hand, I agree about the long quote instead just the main subject to be quoted. My opinion...Long quotes might as well be better off to be eliminated because it waste of time and more confusing then scrolling back to original post.

Many times I have to locate where the subject is in the quote and recheck what the previous poster quoted.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »

I understand your point Ace and while I don't use a Blackberry, I recognize how it would not read well that way.  But most of the members (88%) reported using a screen size of 1024x768 or larger.

I have seen a few posts that perhaps excessively used quotes as you described to the point it muddied their own response.  Perhaps some users click quote simply because the link catches their eye before the reply button does.  But I think the majority of posts are using quotes in a way that helps improve the reader's understanding of the context of their reply.  In my opinion they are especially helpful in multi page threads where the reply might be referencing a post that isn't even on the same page or where the topic of the thread is wandering.

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

Uh Kyle, I didn't say it was annoying! What I DID say was, it's rediculous! Especially when, for example, a poster post a thread by asking a question. A replier comes on and gives his opinion in say 100 words give or take. A second replier comes in and quotes the whole 100 words from the original replier, word for word, NOT just a line or two but the whole thing and then adds his reply. Then to top it off, another replier comes in and quotes the whole thing over yet again adding his reply. This goes on and on in some post which to me waste time scrolling to see the actual reply that was intended not to mention pages of postings where there may be say, 15 to a page with normal replies but when you start adding repeated quotes on almost every reply, your now down to say 5 or 6 per page before it starts a new page!
You may think your annoying me but it's actually pretty funny to sit and watch what really goes on from day to day. I kind of see why some people would rather just lurk than participate as many of the old (not as in age) regulars have chosen to do! Take a good look at WHO really comes on and post responses or ask questions. It's appears to be the same hand full. Where have all the regulars gone? Using a Blackberry on a regular basis to read the board gets tiring to read the same quotes over and over just to be able to decipher where in the post the reply is! Oh am I the ONLY one using a Blackberry? Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Carry on fella's...

It was just a question with no intent for it to change! Just trying to enlighten those that just HAVE to copy another one's whole post!

Ace

Some of us dont know how to trim a post, some of us are too lazy to trim a post. Yes you are the  only one!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »

[/quote]

Some of us dont know how to trim a post, some of us are too lazy to trim a post. Yes you are the  only one!!
[/quote]

And some like the way it looks, I think...LOL Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink Wink Wink

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:00:17 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »

Ace,

I have a BB also, now I understand where you're coming from. Yes it is hard to scroll down and try to find the dialogue, I just don't use it for that anymore, unless my puter is dead then I can waste some time. As I travel so much having a BB is great cause I don't have to lug the puter out when I'm at an airport for 2-3 hours on layover, like today! Cry

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: