Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 03:42:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quotes  (Read 4360 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 09:57:11 PM »

Ace,

I, on the other hand, use extensive quotes to antagonize you. Lips Sealed Tongue Grin  I am not surprized that you use a Blackberry as I have suspected that fror a long time. Huh  Your posts just seem to be typed with two thumbs. Roll Eyes  Sure hope you are laughing, Sport. Grin Grin Grin  Could be a long night. Undecided

I agree that some are tedious to read BUT I do it for clarity.  So much of what I have said has been innocently missunderstood, and I am in sympathy with those people that I sometimes go to lengths to be understood.  There is also the issue of missquoting and plagerism.  I am serious now...honest. Cool

Be tolerant Ace.  It complements you knowledge and willingness to share and assist.  And the other possitive attributes that I have no way of knowing but am sure are there.

John without a dog in this fight.....till now Cheesy Wink

John....notice I signed twice? Kiss

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »

Ace -

Totally understand where you're coming from, especially when using a Blackberry.  As you well know, it's not nearly the same on a regular computer screen.

But just so you know, I got flamed over on the Yahell GMC busnuts BBS a couple of weeks ago because I respectfully asked folk to respond to posts at the top of the previous post (just like I've done here), so you don't have to scroll thru all of Yahell's miscellaneous stuff to see the response.  So you're not alone!!

Also agree with JJr's comment about some folk don't know how to edit a quote, and some are, well, let's just say "too busy" to edit. . . LOL!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is rediculous!
Ace

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »

Color me enlightened!!!  I did not know you could reply on top of the quote!!!!  What is the [i[top[/i] symbol for? The moderators could do away with the quote feature I seldom use it. RJ those GMC nuts are a tough bunch. Jim
Ace -

Totally understand where you're coming from, especially when using a Blackberry.  As you well know, it's not nearly the same on a regular computer screen.

But just so you know, I got flamed over on the Yahell GMC busnuts BBS a couple of weeks ago because I respectfully asked folk to respond to posts at the top of the previous post (just like I've done here), so you don't have to scroll thru all of Yahell's miscellaneous stuff to see the response.  So you're not alone!!

Also agree with JJr's comment about some folk don't know how to edit a quote, and some are, well, let's just say "too busy" to edit. . . LOL!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is rediculous!
Ace

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 05:21:30 AM »

I try to only use a quote when the person I am quoting had a long post and possibly several questions in it.  I edit the quote to leave only the question or statement I am answering. I also eliminate any blank lines in the quote (such as a blank line between the mesaage and the person's name)to keep it as small as possible.   I do this to try to prevent in mis-understanding (which seems to be happening more lately).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »

Why is it always seem a must do thing for people to quote another posters words! If its an important issue I can see why but each and every time is rediculous!  (spell check is free)
Ace

I quote because I want too!  Grin No really it's because I don't know how to copy & paste!  Wink   No really & honestly I when I feel I need to show who I'm answering or addressing different issues in the post I am quoting! If you'll notice I'll highlight, or make bold, or change colors different parts of the quotes. And then I do the same for each answer, so it shows what is what? I too usually shorten the quotes by taking all but the part I am addressing or deleting extra spaces, etc.

But I guess bottom line it goes back to the Bud Light commercials "WHY ASK WHY?"

I guess we choose to do it for the same reason you choose to bitch, or not use spell check!
Because we want to! Grin  BK  Grin
by the way I don't have or want a blackberry!
I prefer blueberries!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Blacksheep

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 07:10:27 AM »

BK that's funny! Maybe you and those that admit you don't know what your doing  should look at the help section of this board. Learn the proper way to use it before you use it!
I do admit sometimes my spelling may be off here and there but since you know everything, let me explain. Using a BB, there is no spell check and 9 times out of 10 the mis-spelled words you see come from simply hitting a wrong button, not so much from stupidity as in your self admittance!
Like I said all is good, just carry on as usual.
At least now SOME posters will think about what they are doing before doing it.
Oh and BK, I'd rather play with my Blackberry than you with a dingleberry!
Now THAT'S funny!

Ace
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 08:17:24 AM »

9 times out of 10 the misspelled words you see come from simply hitting a wrong button, not so much from stupidity as in your self admittance!

That maybe true, but 9 out of 10 times you will spot such errors if you read through what you've written before posting - it really doesn't take much effort!

If there is a word you don't know how to spell, type an approximate spelling into Google and it will show you the correct spelling - only takes a second.

There are some words which lots of people misspell because they don't know any better - one which occurs very regularly is 'loose' rather than 'lose'. I cringe every time I see that. Another example is people who type 'walla' (or variations thereof) because they have heard the word 'voila' in speech and just typed it in the way it sounded.

I realise a lot of people probably regard spelling as an unimportant nicety, and that's fine. My own attitude is along the lines "why should I bother reading what you've written if you haven't taking any bother whilst writing it?". There is one poster on this board who's contributions I never read, simply because it takes too much effort - not just misspellings and missing letters, but completely missing words and words in the wrong order - all for the sake of bashing out a reply without any care then hitting 'Post' without a second glance

Jeremy

PS. Just gone to hit the 'Post' key myself and noticed for the first time that there is a spell checker on here - you don't even need to use Google

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »

The board is to share Ideas. I struggle with spelling and will probably will not get any better as I get older. I have dyslexia and spell phonetically. I use spell check on every post. It doesn't always work. I will never bag anyone out on spelling. You have the right to not read misspelled post and that is fine. Keep in mind that the person who is posting is looking for help on some issue. I learned at a very young age that there are no stupid people. It depends on what your interest and skills are. That is the reason for this board some people are better at things and when I need help on an area that I have little knowledge of I ask. Give the people that have trouble spelling a break They may not be all that dumb.

My Thoughts
John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:47:59 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »

Hi John

Just to be clear, I certainly wasn't intending to suggest that poor spelling was the result of being 'dumb' - in fact I very nearly called Ace on his use of the word 'stupidity'. My point was simply regarding the lack of care and effort a few people put into their posts - but each to his own, I'm certainly not trying to claim any kind of moral superiority here. I also take your point about dyslexia - in fact one of my best friends is severely dyslexic, so I understand the problems that can cause.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »

Using the quote feature is a tool that can be used well or poorly.  Since there may have been several posts since the one you wish to address directly, quoting it can make your intentions more clear.  I would generally agree that the quote would be best edited down to the specific point you are talking about.

As to spelling, I am pretty bad at that and do use spell check.  My computer is set that misspelled words are highlighted as I type.  I think that, for the most part, I do okay.  However, I am a bit concerned that bringing the subject up might somehow discourage someone that is self-conscious about spelling, grammar, etc. to limit their posts.  This is a bus conversion board and misspelled or grammatically challenged problem solutions work far better than perfectly presented wrong answers.  In a perfect world, we all would be perfect, right?  We all know that 40 year old buses are capable of proving to even the most hard core of doubters that this is not a perfect world (I know that there could be ecclesiastical arguments otherwise) .  Therefore, I beg everyone to keep those answers coming.  I would much rather deal with a spelling error than a blown engine.  I do not remember one time in my life when, broke down by the side of the road, I ever thought to quiz the mechanic about grammar, and God forbid that my road service would send out one of the Windsor airheads to change a tire.  In the imperfect, real world of mechanics skills trump presentation every time. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Blacksheep

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »

Well I can positively say that this thread is like most others on here where it takes a turn and just like the others is usually for the worse.
Jeremy, a little advice if I may. You said there are posters that not only mis-spell words they leave words completely out of the text so you make it a point to not read anything from them. Let me say this. This thread started out regarding "quotes and the usage" NOT spelling. I have a good friend who post here regular and although a VERY intelligent man, he has a hearing dissability which carried over to his speach as it does with a lot of hearing cases. This man is an retired engineer, I believe from GM and types just as if he were speaking. How do I know this? I know him! Obviously you don't so it wouldn't be a good thing to judge someone you don't know or never met especially from a BB like this one. Do I not read his postings because sometimes I have to fill in a word here and there? Not a chance because I'm sure that whatever he says and however he says it, I will probably learn something. I have many times in the past and look forward to reading anything he had to say in the future!
Now how all this got on to spelling ability is beyond me but it goes to show how threads go off the beaten path!
As I said... Carry on!

Ace
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

The only thing constant is change (or something like that).

You don't have to believe everything you think.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »

I sometimes chuckle, and other times cringe, at often misused spellings of the various heterographs within this crazy English language of ours.  Vast majority of the time, I ignore commenting on the misuse, simply because, after being an instructor for many years, I realize that not everyone has a good grasp of our written word.   And that's ok, because as long as they're getting their point across, in the overall big picture, what difference does it really make?  Give 'em a break!

I will agree that it's sometimes very obvious that a post was made without taking the few seconds first to preview their message, in order to correct any mistakes.  And those mistakes sometimes end up creating a situation where the post becomes misinterpreted, because a key word was left out, completely changing the poster's meaning.  Then the flames begin, often ending up with very ruffled feathers, until the moderators step in and calm the masses back down again.  At least until the cycle repeats itself again. 

Then again, that's what help keeps the boards interesting!

And now, for everyone's amusement and entertainment, as well as a little Engish lesson for the day, here are some examples of heterographs:

Heterographs:  Words that are spelled differently, pronounced the same but mean different things.  For us busnuts, there are several examples:

Break and brake.  Brake is the mechanical device that helps get our vehicles stopped.  Break is when something is disrupted, as in "a break in time", "he took a break from his bus project", "why did you break that window", etc.  Spelled differently, pronounced the same, different meanings.

To, too & two  Often misused, perhaps a sentence example shows their proper use:  "We're going to the store, buying two gallons of milk.  Do you want something, too?"  In this example, "to" means direction - going to the store. Two is the spelling of the number 2, and too means also.

There, their and they're  Probably the most misused of all, this one causes English teachers to grow gray hair.  "They're going over there to pick up their new bus." is an example of each word being used in the proper context.  They're is a contraction for the two words they areThere is a place, and their is possessive, meaning ownership.

OK, enough English lesson for the day. . . now back to our regularly scheduled bus chatter!

Oh, and just for Ace - you can quote me on that!!  LOL!!!  Cheesy

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »

Oh Ace I just couldn't stop laughing! Not at your stupid joke, but at the stupid way you always twist things around in you twisted little mind! I know how to use the quote feature, and I know how to read, spell and even proof read or let spell check double check my posts for misspellings due to hitting wrong keys.
I also know that if I CHOSE to use a BB to read the boards that it would be infact MY PROBLEM that the quotes are an inconvenience and not the responsibility of the posters to limit their use of them for my convenience! But then again this is about you & not me so be it! Grin  BK  Grin

Oh it must be a boring life if we have to publicly bitch about what/how others post because we choose to read them on a BB rather than accept it's our use of convenience that should inconvenience others!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »

Can I quote you on that? lmao
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: