Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 02:40:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck on the side of the road - UP-DATE  (Read 14647 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 07:18:28 PM »

One other tidbit of info, if you move the cradle, the rearmost (as in "rear" of bus) cradle anchor bolts locate the cradle.  They will have to be loosened and pushed laterally away from the cradle.   The cradle won't move unless these upside down "T" bolts are pushed away from the cradle.    All the rest can be left hanging, but loose.  The U-bolts are located by nuts that resemble wheel lugs....be sure that if they are removed, they are reinstalled with the 'cone into the cradle brackets, and that they are not overtightened, damaging the cradle.   
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

Steve I believe the spreader thing you are refering to is a porta-power, I have one that would do the trick, it is a set of jaws that when you put pressure to them they spred apart! But I'm a little far away and someone should have one simular available! Best wishes, and now that Don is there to the rescue I'm sure ya'll get it someway or another! Knuckle 

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »

You mean like a Port-0-Power?  They have all sorts of wedges, rams, extensions.  Portable, easy to use, cheap if Chinese.  Northern toos carry the cheapos.   Work well for a while if stored properly.   
Just don't  Portopower off your harmonic balancer...that would a mistake.
JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
El-Sonador

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 08:14:38 PM »

Steve I believe the spreader thing you are refering to is a porta-power, I have one that would do the trick, it is a set of jaws that when you put pressure to them they spred apart! But I'm a little far away and someone should have one simular available! Best wishes, and now that Don is there to the rescue I'm sure ya'll get it someway or another! Knuckle 

Porta-Power, that's the name I was looking for. I'll try to rent or buy one tomorrow. Very handy that thing.

I have to be back in Canada [Niagara-on-the-Lake] in a few days so I booked a flight back for this Wednesday. and a return flight heading back to the bus in Texas on the 26th. So what we can't get done in the next few days, we can finish when I get back. I really believe that if we can just push up on that beam it should just spring back inside the bumper just enough to get it done. But you never know how metal will react sometimes.

Will keep you posted.

Steve
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »

You mean like a Port-0-Power?  They have all sorts of wedges, rams, extensions.  Portable, easy to use, cheap if Chinese.  Northern toos carry the cheapos.   Work well for a while if stored properly.   
JR 

Yes thats what I mean like a Port-O-Power but the 1 I have says Porta-Power on the case and it's not a Chinese cheapie! I bought it off the Mac Tools Truck probably 15 yrs ago and still works as well as the day I bought it! Knuckle  Grin Cool

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
El-Sonador

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 08:18:55 PM »

JR 

harmonic balancer?

What's that - and how do I avoid it

Steve
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »

Steve, are your axle bearings covered with blank caps?  Try to keep the dirt out of the hubs.   Be sure that your diff lube is up to the fill plug once the axles are reinstalled.
Want some diff lube out in the wheel bearings.   Busted Knuckly has the dilly on the hub bearings.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 08:30:34 PM »

[Yes thats what I mean like a Port-O-Power but the 1 I have says Porta-Power on the case and it's not a Chinese cheapie! I bought it off the Mac Tools Truck probably 15 yrs ago and still works as well as the day I bought it! Knuckle Grin Cool
Hello Busted Knuckle, yep, I was anwering Steve at the some time you were.  I wasn't aware of your post...or I wouldn't have responded.    Wink   RE: the Chinese blather, the market is full of cheap Chinese stuff, but it works.   Also saw where Steve was consideriing using bottle jacks to move something....check the jacks before you buy.  Most inexpsensive jacks won't jack when layed on their side.   Must be vertical.   Good American jacks will jack on the side.   Porta Power will jack in any position. 
Nice tools.
Cheers guys, JR    my bedtime!   

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
El-Sonador

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »

Steve, are your axle bearings covered with blank caps?  Try to keep the dirt out of the hubs.   Be sure that your diff lube is up to the fill plug once the axles are reinstalled.
Want some diff lube out in the wheel bearings.   Busted Knuckly has the dilly on the hub bearings.
JR

You could say they were "covered" I used a piece of cardboard when we took out the axels for towing. Tapped a hammer on the studs slightly, just to mark them and then held the cardboard in place with the nuts. This worked as both a cover and helped keep most of the oil in. After the 100 mile tow there was no oil slashes anywhere. Just a small pool in the bottom of the rim from sitting overnight.
Don/TX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 08:41:10 PM »

There is a Harbor Freight close by if you want to buy a porta power Steve, just go West on US 83 to 10th street in McAllen, then North a half or three quarter mile, on the right (east) side of the street.  I sold mine recently, so cannot furnish one.  If you are not acquainted with Harbor Freight, you can shop at:   www.harborfreight.com
Lots of good stuff for a person in need.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 08:43:20 PM »

The harmonic balancer is the drive pully located on the end of the crankshaft for the AC and cooling blower belts.   The balancer has weights specifically located to dampen crankshaft harmonics.   It serves several functions.  It is sorta fragile and cannot be bumped on or jacked with porta power to gain space.   If your trying to pull or push the bumper back a little, the engine block would be a better place to push from.  Using a ram.  Watch out for the oil pan lip, and other electrical parts that could be damaged if the Porta power slips.  Portapowers will jack several thousand pounds so be cautious.  Something will give.  You want the bumper to go first.
Is the 8V71 and original install?  Perhaps the engine is not in the correct location?  
Resolution is at hand....one way or another!  Youll find yourself back on the road soon.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 08:46:01 PM »

You bring a very good point I should have already mentioned the axle covers, before now! If they aren't covered which I highly doubt they are, I'd just slip the axles back in for now to keep dirt and what ever out till ya get the silicone to seal 'em. Then get ya 2 old 1 gallon oil or antifreeze jugs, the sorta flat style like Rotella T, or just about all antifreeze comes in, and cut out the square part on the front around where the label part is and ya got instant through away catch pans that sit perfectly in yer wheels with the cap part furthes in to sorta catch in the dip of the wheel! Then make sure you clean the axles and hub surfaces good, then make sure ya got plenty of extra grease and pour some in leting it ru back out this should float any contaminates out, then reclean the hub surface use plenty of sealant toward the out side out the hub(so the extra squeezes out of and not into the hub! yes alittle might go in but try to keep most of it out!) Then re-install the axles!  On a ( you should be okay, if it were a 102 you'd need to pull the little square plug out of the axles and add lube after putting them in! Most 9's don't have these plugs as they are sufficeintly lubed from the pumpikn section. But if yours has the plugs it won't hurt to add some to the hubs!) Once done with putting the axles back in comes the fun part of getting under the rear end and removing the plug with a 1/2" drive rachet or breaker bar and adding fluid until it starts to run out then quickly put the plug back in! Any questions don't hesitate to call an ask! Knuckle

Smiley Wink Cool

www.kylakesidetravel.net

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »

While you're gathering tools, find a 9/16" allen socket that will fit onto a 1/2" pull handle.  You probably have a 9/16" hex plug in your diff.   An allen socket looks like a socket with a big allen wrench bit.    You could use a piece of 9/16 hex bar stock also.  Just whack off a piece maybe 2" long and stick it into a socket.  Viola...special tool.
Hypoid 140 is used in my diff.   BustedKnuckle  will have that knowledge. 
It's academic, but be careful under the bus.  Don't crawl on the ground under an aired up bus that isn't blocked. 
With the bus aired up, the frame member between the rear drive and tags can be blocked with a 6X6 and a little cribbing.  Very quick safety measure.   If ya'll got a pit to work over, no problem.
 JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 09:25:01 PM »

Ahhh as I recall he got towed into a RV park so I'll bet the pit is out! Although I have one down in the shop that I don't know how I ever managed with out it! And I can assure you I don't ever plan to do with out again! Now on that plug I ain't say'n it won't be a 9/16 hex but most of them I've dealt with are just a 1/2" square drive like a rachet or breaker bar and maybe an extension! But if it is a 9/16th there is still another way to beat that trick which is to take a 9/16th head bolt and put a double nut on the end of it and use it in a 9/16 socket cheaper than buying one (although if that is the style plug ya have it'd be handy to have just for checkin the fluid from time to time! If your not sure what fluid the rear end has in it now (probably just plain ol heavy duty gear lube) I'd just get the heaviest weight gear lube they have in stock and top it off with that it'll be fine because you shouldn't have lost that much! "Knuckle"

www.kylakesidetravel.net

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 09:39:17 PM »

Yep.   That's what I thought...1/2" plug....but, as with many things, wrong again.  I had to get back out and go find a peice of 9/16 hex stock and cut a section out.    Worked fine.   But that's what my NJT had...now NJTs are an odd breed.  There are lots of little crap things that are just different.   But NJT recommends Hypoid 140.   I'm not sure what others are using.  Doubt there would be any problem with HYP 90.   I keep 140 around for my John Deere.   Buy it in 5 Gallon cans.  Cool

Good Night Alll  Cheesy !

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: