Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 01:29:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water temp still need help!!!  (Read 1900 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

I have tried to post a pic of the engine on the 05. I have circled the sensors in question. Everytime I try to post I get file tooooo large.! I thought I was computer savy!!! I resized twice still no luck. It is posted on webshots. It is the only way I cab show it. The pic is on page 6. The name is DSC-0095. Any help would be appreicated!! http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/114111372sZFqzI?vhost=home-and-garden&start=60
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »

Hi Eric,

Hope that helps, go to the pic you want to post, click on "copy code to post this photo on a forum", choose the size, I chose 500, then right click and copy the code, then paste it on the page you are posting.

What engine is it by the way? 8v71?

Paul

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:41:51 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:25 AM »

How in the heckkk did you do yhat!!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »

I added the description on the page I posted after I posted the pic, wanted to make sure it worked.

I also use webshots and have lots of experience! Roll Eyes

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:32 AM »

You would think that as a mechanical engineer I would be able to do that!!! I use CAD in my business everyday to run my CNC machines, but I can't even re size a picture!! LOL I guess that is the difference between making cabinet doors and working on a bus!!! WE ALL NEED HELP ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!! Thanks!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »

This is the 600 size. I wanted to include this for a better view of what you need.

I'm still learning myself, so don't feel bad, it all changes so fast I can't keep up!

What is your question exactly regarding the sensors?

You also might get some help on www.eaglesinternational.net. Come join in the fun!

Paul
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:22:36 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »

On the curb side, the rearmost/largest unit is your alarmstat for high temp shutdown.  The front one is your engine temp sending unit. I can't see the driver's side unit clearly enough.  Can you post a close up?

Good luck!

Glenn
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:58:06 AM by Tenor » Logged

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

also I just found what I was looking for! I have had trouble loading or resizing pictures here from day one! I recently found this thread and link very helpful! I down loaded it and now all I do is right click on the picture and click on re-size. Then when I get a choice I chose custom and put in 480 X 360 and it works like a charm!

If I can do it! You can too! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

opps I forgot the link! LOL!

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=10049.msg0#new
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:37:16 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »

Lets see if I have learned anything bout this resizn !!
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

Thanks for the close up Eric!  That sure looks like another temp sending unit.  Double check for any numbers on  both units.  If they have numbers and are the same, sweet!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »

FWIW both heads should have a shut down stat in them and the right head (looking at it from the rear of the bus) should also have a temp sending too! (sometimes folks will put a temp sending unit in both heads with a temp gauge on both sides of the engine compartment for comparison purposes and not a bad idea either!)
If ya follow the wires or use an ohm meter you can tell which ones are hooked together which will be the shut downs.
Also if ya take a test lead and short them out to the block with the engine running it will either shut the engine off (if it has air and the system is working properly), or the temp gauge will peg full hot! One or the other it will not harm it to try this!  FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

Thanks guys for the help with the temp sensors!! I am down to the emergency. shutdown system to have everything done. My thinking is that there are only two reasons for this system to shut off 12v power to the fuel skinner valve. Low oil, and over temp. This means that both would need to be hooked in a series with the fuel shutoff which is controlled by the ign/ switch. I am assuming that the overtemp sensors (Left, and right bank) are normally closed. The low oil sensor is remote mounted. It has 3 wires which I have not put an ohm meter on yet. I assume it would be normally open. If I hook all in series the low oil will always want to shut down before the engine starts. Not a problem if the air system is down. However if it is up it will not work. I know there is a simple answer, just need the think tank to ponder it!!
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »

Only problem with chasing wires is that I took em all off!!! Smart! probably not!! But I have been able to rewire the entire bus using the existing wire harness. The emer. system is the last part of the puzzle.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »

I do not have my manual in the house with me (it lives in our bus), but I remember the my MC-8 schematic showed diodes to allow either low oil or hot engine to activate the appropriate warning device AND shut down the engine without activating the inappropriate warning device. The starter switch was also wired into this circuit to allow the starter switch to be used to override the auto shutdown, using a pressure switch on the secondary fuel filter to prevent the starter from energizing. (so you could at least pull off the road).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »

Quote from: Ericbsc
I am assuming that the overtemp sensors (Left, and right bank) are normally closed. !!

Eric they are normally open and whenthey get hot enough they close! Hence the simple test of the system is to ground them! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »

I need to rethink my plan!!! I was going to run the 12v pos thru the watertemp and low oil to the shutoff fuel valve. That was assuming that they were all normally closed. If any one of those openen, it would cut power to the shutoff cell. and the fuel would shut off. Any suggestions?
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

Eric,

Doing what BK advises will check out the performance of all of the "over temp shutdown system" EXCEPT the actual sensing unit.  I would have them out and in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer in the mix.

I have been told that over the years and for different reasons these type devices get disconnected.. Instead of repaired at some point, I guess.  They are all suspect for that reason.

I would check the operation of the low oil sensor during the drain step when I changed oil.  Every time I changed oil.

I would opt for an "overfull oil sensor" for the oil as well.  Collent leaks and fuel leaks into the sump will ruin the engine long before you detect the missing coolant or note the reduced MPG( Tongue )

I think a low coolant alarm is appropriate, also.

Not all these sensors need to shut down the engine but a buzzer and red light on the dash is a minimum alert.  I have these added to my motor home.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: