Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:42:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbee 4106  (Read 6365 times)
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »

Cody,

He told me he was going to set somthing up over the next couple of days. That was yesterday, so I would expect him to e-mail you before the middle of next week. Again I want to thank you for taking the time to check her out. He told me he started her up on Monday and she fired right up, He explains he starts it and lets it run for a little while once a month during the time he is up there aprox 6-7 months. I know he has moved it but I dought it has gone down the road.

You can have this bus when you pry her from my cold dead fingers.
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

My Father inlaw has sent me the paper work he has on the bus. I don't know what it all means but I could not find a build sheet. I have the Maintenance Manual, Parts Manual, and Service manual. on the front page it is New Engine written in ink 8VA-333-782 also 7087-4020 and last it reads Tag 8v710116. Does any one have a clue what this means? There are lots of notes written in the book and service contact numbers but so far that is all I have.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 04:03:46 AM »

on the front page it is New Engine written in ink 8VA-333-782 also 7087-4020 and last it reads Tag 8v710116. Does any one have a clue what this means?

8VA-333-782 & 7087-4020 are the numbers on the engine block. The first number is the engine serial number and the second number is the engine configuration. Not sure about the tag number, but it might be the number from the rebuild tag.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »

The origninal poster made a comment about putting fuel additives in the tank, just because the fuel was old.

Don't do it. I know of a number of cases where this has done more harm than good.

No fuel additive will fix the fuel if it won't burn. The problem is that the most common fuel additive is methanol or some other alcohol. The alcohols are used because they are polar organic solvents, meaning they will absorb water and dissolve into organics (diesel). The problem is that the solubility of methanol in diesel is around 1%, so if you dump a bunch of methanol in there thinking you will dissolve the water, all you do is essentially dump a bunch of methanol into the tank which will settle out, and act like water in the fuel filter. The fuel filter should not pass un dissolved methanol. This is not myth, I have a degree in Chemical Engineering.

Run a wooden stick in the filler and pull it out to see if you have algae on the surface before adding an algaecide.

Drain a quart or two out of the tank from the bottom tap. Let it settle and see if you have water. If not fire it up and rock and roll. If you do get water, keep draining and settling a gallon or so at the time until water doesn't settle out any more.

So, if the bus will run on the fuel in the tank, let the filters do their job and trap the crud. If it won't run with the fuel in the tank (which I doubt) then drain the tank and refill.

As you drive and top off with new fuel, you are likely to stir up and redissolve sludge from the bottom of the tank. Again, that's what the fuel filters are for.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »

What would be a fair price for a Clutch?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: