Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 12:20:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To NCBob (and all of us)  (Read 1443 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2006, 12:20:50 PM »

Bob wrote:

"Two nights ago I was in the Bus Garage with about 5 or 6 other BusNuts having a great time.  We were discussing, chiding and teasing each other and it was a GREAT time.  I'd had a few adult beverages and was feeling a bit more capricious than normal and posted a comment, not related to truth, about one of our own for which I have made a personal apology.

I then removed my profile from the Board, in total shame, because of what I said.  If you don't think that was a living Hell for me...you're mistaken."

It is sometimes very difficult to express ourselves online and very easy to be misunderstood.
Sarcasm is especially easy to be misread.

What ever happened on the night in question, chances are, if you had just been hanging around the real garage with the same guys and made the same remarks (however stupid), it would have just blown over. Or, you would have sensed from other's reactions that you maybe screwed up, and fixed it on the spot.

The point is, that without body language and voice inflections, communications can be troublesome.

We must be very careful  with what we say, and very forgiving of each other if something just doesn't come out right.

FWIW

Len Silva
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:23:02 PM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

Len sometimes I think we are too hard on ourselves.

-- Not on this board -- I have had a similar experience where there was a miscommunication.

Everyone else was fine with what was "typed" but it bothered me for a long time. Just out of context or not appropriate at the time.

Good Luck

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »

It is sometimes very difficult to express ourselves online and very easy to be misunderstood.
Sarcasm is especially easy to be misread.

The point is, that without body language and voice inflections, communications can be troublesome.

We must be very careful  with what we say, and very forgiving of each other if something just doesn't come out right.

Len Silva

One of the interesting side notes on our hobby is meeting for the first time some of the people that you communicate with online but,

do not really know.  There have been a few people over the years who "sounded" a little harsh too me, but when in person and

getting the feedback of facial expressions, etc... were really very nice.

Len is right on target here, lets give each other the benefit of the doubt before we jump to any conclusions.

And the Bus Conversion Brotherhood said "AMEN"

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ace

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 07:29:44 PM »

Cliff that may be true in most cases but I for one know all too well that there are those that come across this and other sites as a pure butthead (aka @$#) and after a personal meeting, it fit thier character just as much then and still does! FWIW  Grin

Ace

On a side note, you still planning on Timmonsville in October?
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 08:09:39 PM »

Ace your right and I must apologize that's just the way I am! Always have been always will be! But hey I'm like a bad check I keep bouncing back! THERES NO GETTING RID OF ME! LOL! No seriously! I'm probably one of the worst smart asses there is on this and other boards but I'm also that way in person too! And I hope that people realize I'm just a smart @$# and don't take it personally when I am! I absolutely mean to be joking anytime I come off as being a PIA, and don't mean any offense to anyone and if I do offend some of you just smack me down a little and I'll try to behave for a day or two! LOL! Grin Cool By the way I try to show happy smileys so people can tell what an @$# I am!  Grin.

Now on a serious note we have lost another valuable member, because every time he posted something he felt certain people didn't take him or his knowledge seriously, and harrassed him about it! I told myself I wasn't going to bring it up on here and was going to give it time while trying to convince him to come back, but I feel since it fits right in the subject line of this thread I'd go ahead and mention it! aHopefully we can all learn something from these little unfortunate experiences and step a little more sofly! As I said above I really never mean any harm when I'm posting on this board and I know I'm a smart @$# , and I will try to keep it in check from now on. But also please remember I've been this way for 41 of my 40yrs here on earth Grin! BK
oh and ahhh 1 more thing!

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Roll Eyes We gonna have FUN at Knuckle's "Fall TN Bus Bash"! Roll Eyes Cool Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ace

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:20:48 PM »

BK,

aka knucklehead,

aka smartass,

aka rally promoter.... It ain't you!!!!!!!!![/color][/shadow]
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »

there are those that come across this and other sites as a pure butthead (aka @$#) and after a personal meeting, it fit thier character just as much then and still does! FWIW  Grin

Ahhh Yes,  The exception to the rule, anyone in particular  Wink Wink

Yes, I am still planning on a repeat visit to Timmonsvillle. 

Mostly depends on what happens with the storm season around then. Undecided

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 04:29:04 AM »

Hmmm, I guess I miss ALL the interesting stuff. . . didn't see where anyone was being a jerk. . .  didn't see anyone harrassing anyone else. . . either I'm not very with it, or people are extremely sensitive.   Undecided

I think that we all have information to offer, but it is natural when there are a bunch of intelligent people on a forum, they are going to disagree and probably even do a bit arguing.  In fact, that's generally how it is in life.  My husband used to tell me that he didn't like it when I let the guys argue with me.  Said "You're the boss, they should just do whatever you say!"  Angry  I would counter with the fact that I try to hire the smartest guys I can, and along with intelligence usually comes self confidence, and occasionally, a firm conviction that they are right about something.  I want guys who can think for themselves and do so.  The trade off is that we do sometimes debate how to perform a task or handle a situation, and that's OK, because if I need to, I do pull rank, but not until after we've discussed the situation and I've listened to what they have to say. You know what, sometimes they're right. Embarrassed

I guess all I'm saying is that there will and should be debate over ideas and methods.  If everyone always agrees. . well, we're sure not learning anything.  It's only through debate that we learn other ways to look at a situation, and we see things we may have missed. 

Of course, debate can and should be friendly, so if someone has been rude, well, that's too bad and there's no call for that.  On the other hand, if I say something and you think I"m wrong, you sure as heck better disagree with me so that others don't follow my "wrong" lead.   I would hope you would respect me enough to know that  "I'm a big girl, and I can take it"!  Cheesy Anyway, that's just my opinion! Wink  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 06:54:28 AM »

I certainly agree with you BK, and am very sorry to see him and his knowledge go.

I feel that I am, somewhat/somehow, responsible for this turn of events, but I have really searched the posts and my recollection and can not recall anything that I said or did that caused the hard feelings. I apologized profusely on the board to him  for whatever it was I did, but apparently to no avail. Maybe it wasn't me. I really do not know. I am sure we will miss his knowledge, and great photos.
Richard

Now on a serious note we have lost another valuable member, because every time he posted something he felt certain people didn't take him or his knowledge seriously, and harrassed him about it! I told myself I wasn't going to bring it up on here and was going to give it time while trying to convince him to come back, but I feel since it fits right in the subject line of this thread I'd go ahead and mention it! aHopefully we can all learn something from these little unfortunate experiences and step a little more sofly!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 08:18:23 AM »

Richard,

I followed the chain of events that was POSTED, and in know way did I see you as responsible.

Again , this was more of a mispercetion on several fronts, which increased as NO real "face to face" communication exsisted.

Maybe a good reason to send an IM, so as not to do a public argument on a point.

We have to remember that we have an audience of 700+/- and thats akin to a public scolding.

FWIW

Cliff

Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: