Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 06:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will truck tire chains fit my MC8?  (Read 2391 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »

I recently found 5 truck chains on my street. Will these fit my MC8 tires?

Also do I want to chain 4 of the tires? Or just 2 of the back?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:00:13 PM »

Really hard to say what they'll fit or not since you just "found" them and don't know what size tires they are for!
But there are several ways to find out if they'll fit yers or not! Got a spare? If so this is easy and can be done in the comfort of a warm garage, or kitchen, living, family room floor! (did I say that?)
Really anywhere ya got room to lay the spare wheel and tire down, with the deep part of the wheel down where it holds the tire up off the ground. Then take and run the chain around the tire and be sure it goes over both sides equally. Can you get it all the way around and have at least 1-2" on the inside of the sidewalls, with it tightened? If so it'll fit yer bus. If not take it down to the local truck tire chain bank and hustle the guy there for a set of the proper size for what size tire you have! Used to be ALL the truck stops, fuel stops and tire shops out west had "chain banks" where companies had accounts and drivers could just stop by & pick up or drop of chains as needed! But remember I have been off the road as far as trucking goes since 2000!
No spare? It's a little more complicated. If needed I can explain farther! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »

Thanks, I will try that with my spare. 

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:00:52 AM »

Some states require that you carry them, for truckers that is. But for me I would just sit and wait it out and not take any chances. If one breaks it will beat the heck out of anything in the way. I guess I'm just getting lazy with old age! Grin

Good Luck,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »

Some states require that you carry them, for truckers that is. But for me I would just sit and wait it out and not take any chances. If one breaks it will beat the heck out of anything in the way. I guess I'm just getting lazy with old age! Grin
Good Luck,
Paul

Paul I agree on the sitting it out routine. But now days many states require personal vehicles to have them during certain months of the year. They don't do any random checks or anything like that but if you cause or are involved in an accident while chains are being required and don't have them they fine you BIG TIME!!

I don't like them, never have liked them. never will like them, but if you travel where they are possibly needed it would be best to have a set to get you off the road to a safe place to wait it out if needed! For what it's worth my bus is the only one in our fleet that has them and dad and I intend to keep it that way!  Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »

If I lived in snowy climate and wanted to run in snow, there are automatic snow chains made.  Many school districts use them so they must be safe.  They look like a pin wheel with about one foot length of 8 chains coming off of the wheel.  When you activate them, the wheel swings down (by air pressure) and rubs on the bus tire to rotate the wheel throwing the chains under the tires.  Otherwise, I would just park it and wait.  That's what I did for 21 years of truck driving-only once did I have to wait two nights for the road to open.  Otherwise, it was just overnight.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »

Those automatic chains are great under school buses, ambulances, fire trucks and other high ground clearances vehicles that have to go no matter what! They are not suited for a low clearance motorcoach. They would present mounting issues, interfer with brakes hoses, and such! I checked into them once thinking we could use them on the charter buses, but found out they would create more trouble than they are worth. They also pointed out that they throw alot of the little chains off them and you have to keep replacing them daily so that they don't get out of balance and destroy the whole unit! (pain in the but under a coach).

Better to only carry what is needed as a requirement or to get to a safe place and wait it out! I'm like TomC in 17 yrs over the road I was only "stuck" once for 3 days in Laramie, WY other than that it was just a few hrs or overnight till morn'n!  FWIW  Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »

OC -

To answer another part of your question, you only have to chain the outer rear dual on the drive axle of your MCI.

If you decide you want to carry chains, then the best I've used in my career have been the cam type.  Drape 'em, hook 'em, snug down the cams, add the bungees and you're away.  At one point in time I could hang chains on a bus faster than I could hang them on a car. . .  But today, I'll wait until the chain control's lifted. . .  BTDTDWDIAM

Here's an example of the cam-type HD truck chain:

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2240#

Click on the "more info" button for a bigger picture.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »

Being a northerner, my preference is the improved performance of jewelery for both drives:

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3553

Carefully lowered into a 5 gallon plastic bucket, one set in each bucket, make them quite easy to manage in the bus or under the bunk in a truck.

Spray paint the ends/hooks with some bright spray paint, it's the devil to find it easily when hanging them on the bus.

Commercial grade rubber bungee cords to keep the cam locks snugged in the right direction cannot be over-emphasized, nor stopping in 100 feet or so and tightening everything up again. Anything loose? drive another 100 feet and repeat, until you can't tighten anything.

Nobody commented on the gangling cables thrown in the baggage bays of the Greyhound?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »

Being a northerner, my preference is the improved performance of jewelery for both drives.

BW -

Yup. . . until you drop half the set down between the duals as you're trying to hang them at Oh Dark Thirty with howling winds and blowing snow. . . BTDTDWDIAM!!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »

RJ- now translate your last- I understand "been there done that" don't know DWD and I assume IAM is in a minute?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »

Been There Done That, Don't Wanna Do It Any More

Clear as mud?

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

As with every good thing in life, you gotta screw it up at least once to appreciate the good thing your efforts are being applied to.

Always good to practice hanging your chains out in the yard, on a warm sunny day, with a beverage at hand and a chair to sit in to admire the work.

Perhaps a little party game at your next BBQ?

If your first time is when you need them for real....

oh dear.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »

Oh yeah, Forth of July, perfect!

Actually, the only time I've used chains in the last forty years or so was to get out of the mud in the spring.  Summer practice might not be a bad idea.

I know that I will never, ever need them in snow.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »

Somebody remind me that there is a seminar topic and demonstration in this for a future installment of Jack's party.

Unless bobofthenorth wants to demo for them later today?

I'll bet other than bob, there's not a tire chain to be had in Arcadia?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: