Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 03:14:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage, Bus Conversion and Ponderings!  (Read 2811 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »

Today, the first of my five children left home with her brand new husband. I sit here now a few hours later and ponder their 24 hour old marriage, my family entire family unit and the bus conversion.

Several things cross my mind. First, I can say that the limited number of experiences we have had with the partial conversion will last a life time. Second, I have only one regret and that was the first bus project took too much time to get "ready" and I missed important times to build memories with the oldest kid.

Third, I am realizing that it is far more important for those of us with kids at home to get the bus road ready and not wait for the fancy paint job or custom interior. Too soon those you want most to enjoy the bus and the places visited, grow up too fast and leave without sufficient warning (like there is such a thing!)

Finally, tommorrow I will significantly change mindsets and begin to work fast and furious to get the MCI9 ready at a very basic level. I need to take the remaining children on as many trips as I can afford. I will not let my desires to have a really beautiful bus stand in the way of positive memories for my kids. 

Lessons learned are as hard as watching her drive away. Cry

Ponderings!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »

Good insights Grant.

Thanks for posting - Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »

Amen! I am printing your post and sticking it to my mirror. Lost opportunities are hard to live with.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:27:35 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »

Great thinking!!!  Our MCI 9 is not painted, no cabnets yet and a few others things not done but, my wife and our 9 children have been all over the USA the last 5 years on about 12 singing tours and many shorter ones.  We get one chance to be with our children and to train them and if we miss it we will never get it back!!!  Jim
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:44:04 PM »

Grant,

Your making my eyes swell up and my little angel is only 9 Cry

We went through a transition year of a perfectly good RV(sold when we bought the Bus), to a shell, to a very usable shell.

In house terms, "the drywalls up"

All the kids care is were on an adventure, remember these are the kids who can turn four chairs, a blanket and some clothes

pins into a fort.† A few basics and its road trip time.

Hey and don't forget,† someone else probably watched you take there little angel away,† and from what I'm reading he turned

out to be a pretty good Guy! Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
KC Eagle

83 Eagle in process

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 04:09:19 AM »

Thanks Grant!

I needed the reinforcement too. We have 4 from age 10 to age 19 ( the 19 year old has allready flown the coop) and our conversion is not yet road ready. I've been working too long and hard to get it that way before August vacation and missed too many of those times already so we are renting a stick-n-staples to take the pressure off. It's helped me to realize that converting this coach is about the journey not the destination.

KC
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 04:18:02 AM »

I under stand how you feel. My 26 year old son past away last year away from home and I sit back and wish I had spent more time with him talking and doing things together especially now that I have a bus. I still have a 32 year old son and a 3 year old grandson to share some fun with in the bus. Life is short and we are only given one chance her on earth to make the best of it. Grab those kids love them and hug them and give them good memories so that when we adults are gone they can sit back and say remember when we.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 04:46:27 AM »

Life is as I end my post.   YESTERDAY IS HISTORY, TOMORROW IS A MYSTERY, TODAY IS A GIFT, THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED THE PRESENT.  When we converted our 4106, our boys were still at home. We statred taking them camping one week after buying the seated coach.  Air mattresses, sleeping bags, a cooler, and a Coleman stove. The luggage racks were our closet.  Our boys, now married with children of their own, still talk about those trips. We will always have those memories.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »

Of course, I just sold my bus, but I have over three albums of pictures of my little boy "helping" me work on the bus.  I remember taking him out there and sitting him down in the drivers seat (he couldn't walk) and working away the hours.  I would often take breaks from my work to change a diaper, or wipe a nose, but even though I don't have the bus anymore, I have pictures and a ton of memories.  Apparently he does too.  Because everytime he sees a bus (don't matter what kind), he says, "That's Daddy's bus!"  He'll be five in August. 

Even my wife was sad to see the bus go because she knew how much he loves it.  But, I will ride again!!!  Just waiting for the right time.

Jimmy Cool

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:37:30 AM »

The average man spends less than 20 min a day  of quality time with his children.  In 18 years that add up to 3 months of quality time.    Just a thought. Jim
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 08:42:49 AM »

grantgoold, point well taken, Thank You
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 11:06:59 AM »

This is an excellent thread. When I read it this morning, it brought tears to my eyes. I can so relate.

My relationship with my own father was strained at best while growing up. I was stubborn, and just like him. We built a family business, and as such, vacations were nearly unheard of. I recall 2 or 3.  After college, I left the state and saw him only about
once a year. We were patching things up in our relationship (amazing how smart he was getting after I got out on my own),
but before we got back on track, he was gone.

In the few short years I've owned a bus, we've put around 35K miles on it as a family. We've camped at 10000 ft when it had no facilities except a foam pad on the floor, and we loved it (the trees enjoyed the fertilizer, too, IYKWIM Smiley ). We've been to FL and back, to KY, to WY, CO, UT, MT, etc, several times, and we spent 6 weeks in it on our AK trip last summer. It's not pretty, and it's not luxurious, but right now, it's functional, and mechanically, it's in pretty good shape. Yeah, we've had some trials that we've had to overcome. I've been fortunate to find good people to help me through the difficult parts.

My son has 2 more years of highschool. My daughter has 4. Then college. The way I see it, I have at least 6 more years with both of them, and 8 with one. This spring, we were planning on building a new home which would include a large bus garage. After doing some initial calculations, we decided to wait on that, and instead, make sure we would have the time and money to travel with the kids over the next 6-8 years. We still may do the new home, but only if I'm sure I'll have the time and money for traveling, too.

I can't predict how long I'll be around to spend with my kids, but I'm determined to make the best of it. I don't want them to ever think back and wish I'd spent more time with them. If that means I never get a nice paint job, or finished interior, well, so be it. We're having a ball as it is.

And one thing I'll guarantee you. Every time they see a bus, whether it's on the road or an obscure fleeting glance on TV, they'll think of me. And with a smile, they'll think to themselves, or maybe, to noone in particular, say, "See that bus?"

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
n4rsn

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 01:32:46 PM »

Growing up, my Dad passed away when I was 9. I was on my own, and away from home when I was 15, and had a pretty rough time, but I learned a lot of things growing up. Was married at the age of 18, and still have the same beautiful Bride for 40 years. I wouldnít trade her off now, as she has me house broke.  Have 3 lovely Children, The Greatest Son-in-law, Fantastic Daughter-in-law, and 4 of the best Grandkids in the world.  (If you donít believe me, ask my Wife).
Over the years, my Son, and I have seen some struggles. He just couldnít see things my way, and I was hardheaded enough,  NEVER to change.    Now I know what I have missed out on.   He grew up, and realized Dad is not as Stupid, as he used to be, and I realized he was not a bad kid.
2 years ago, my youngest Daughterís Family, and My Son, and Wife moved to Missouri, from Florida. My Wife and I were going to leave 4 weeks later, but I was thrown from a farm tractor. And than ran over. I did live.!!   My Son, and his wife, just dropped everything, and drove directly to the Hospital; I was in, the next day. --------
I said all this to say, over the last 5 to 7 years, we have grown soooo close. We try to do everything together.   Even work on the ole bus.  Go to Drag race meets, and fish.  He is my best Friend. No he is closer than my Best Friend.------ He is my Son.
Donít wait to have a great relationship with your Kids. Life is to short.
Steve
ynot56

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »

Grangoold,

Thank You for sharing that with us.Yes our time is limited and i wish my own father had spent the time i spend with our 3 girls with me.But he was always to busy trying to provide for us.If i may share this psalm with you all. Psalms 138:8 The LORD will work out his plans for my life--for your faithfull love,O LORD ,endures forever.Don't abondon me,for you made me....Just as our LORD has promised not to abandon us we must never abandon our children trying ti impress others.Remember tomorrow is not guaranteed.Although i do not have my bus yet but i pray that some day i will i thank you for the meaningful advise you have given me.

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: