Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 06:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 9 cooling fan  (Read 878 times)
jatnip

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »

I have a 1979 MCI 9.  Do they make a larger squrrel cage fan for the radiator for the cooling system?  If so how can you tell what size that I have.  I am trying to get more air flow through my radiator to increase the cooling.  I have new radiators so they are not plugged up.  Will this take up any more horse power from the engine that I would notice.    Jim
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:20:10 AM »

If your bus came with an 8V71 it probably has the smaller fans. If it has a 6V92 or 8V92 it should have the larger fans.  Measure the opeing below the squirrel cage fan, where the air enters the engine compartment from the fan. They are all the same width (side to side). Measuring from front to back, if it is about 7" you have the smaller fans.  If it is about 12", you have the larger fans (I don't remember the exact measurement). Fred Hobe makes a smaller pulley that can be installed on the smaller fans to increase the fan speeds and therefore move more air. Also make sure the gasket around the blower compartment is in good shape as well as the rubber inserts in the ends of the squirrel cage fans.  All of the space around the radiators must also be sealed so the air has to go through and not around the radiators.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: