Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 01:14:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a Bus?  (Read 1439 times)
travlinman

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »

Hey guys,

Thought I would ask the experts. I came across the RV brand Foretravel in my internet searches. Are these built on Bus chassis or something else? Anyone own one of these? If so what do you think. Here is a link to a few that are for sale.

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachesrv/used/

Thanks

Steve

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
Songman

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »

Personally, I tend to think of a bus as something that was created for hauling people commercially. The fact that we, or professional converters, turn them into private homes on wheels is just a bonus.

With that said, while these Foretravel units don't meet that criteria, they do have a monocoque chassis that makes them more like a bus than your run of the mill RV.

But that is just my opinion.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »

Was it build with staples and glue?  Then it's a RV.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »

Personally, I tend to think of a bus as something that was created for hauling people commercially. The fact that we, or professional converters, turn them into private homes on wheels is just a bonus.

With that said, while these Foretravel units don't meet that criteria, they do have a monocoque chassis that makes them more like a bus than your run of the mill RV.

But that is just my opinion.

Dale well put, and I was careful not to be the one to say it! After all I don't consider what I have seen of a "Newell" as a bus either, but I sure started a buncha you know what when I posted my opinion there tooo!  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »

I have to recuse myself from this one lol, I've seen foretravel but have never paid any attention to them, nor have I worked on them, my gut responce would be that they aren't buses but rather, somewhere between a fleetwood and a bus, but I couldn't with any accuracy give an opinion one way or another, (hows that for using a lot of words to just say "I don't know" lol)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »

Hey guys,

Thought I would ask the experts. I came across the RV brand Foretravel in my internet searches. Are these built on Bus chassis or something else?

Something else.

One easy way to tell is to look at the driver's window.  If it looks like it belongs on an RV, it's ON an RV.

However, the REAL easy way to tell, when looking at the mfr's website or literature is that if it's built on a coach, they will not keep that a secret!

travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »

Thanks Guys

One less  rig for us to look at. I'm sure they are good, but we are still thinking a bus is the way to go!

Steve

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »

If you looked at a Foertravel from the 70s early 80s you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a Winnie.  They bought the Travco patents when they went out of buisness and made big improvements. I know someone who bought a new one, maybe early 90s. He claimed when they took him for a ride they ran down the hightway a cranked out a sharp turn a good speed. He was impressed, I think he may have a 8V92 in it.   Thats all I know, Oh it is a air ride also.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 07:28:05 PM »

If your definition of an RV is that it has to have glue and staples then a lot of today's motorhomes wouldn't count.  Modern diesel pushers are all metal walls these days.  It is pretty hard to staple to a metal wall.  I still wouldn't want one.

The travel trailer I had was truly a stick and staples.  The floor, walls, and roof were all wood with everything stapled together including the aluminum siding.   That said, it was a pretty decent unit unlike the ones I saw in RV dealer lots already falling apart.

The only real problem I had was the sofa kept falling off the wall due to bolts pulling out.  The dealer tried to fix it, but they didn't spend enough time to do it right.  I finally opened up the wall and found the factory idiots had cut the 2x2 too short and shot in a ton of staples to make up for 3/4" gap.  I screwed the 2x2 to the other 2x2 studs in the wall and it held after that.  I can't recall if I put in a new 2x2 or not.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »

The Foretravel is not a bus but it is a highly regarded motor home, very well built.  The '96 and '98 models on that web site were probably in the mid $300K when new.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: